+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 11/22 Premiere Show Discussion

what are you watching? iguanachocolate's Avatar

Re: 11/22 Premiere Show Discussion

He sounds like my beloved Kat of So You Think You Can Dance.... "jidges" *swooonnnnnn*
    A good book should leave you... slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading it. ~William Styron, interview, Writers at Work, 1958

I enjoyed this. I knew most of the stars, but not the skaters as I haven't been following skating for many years. The host was trying perhaps a bit too hard for this first show (I loved the mic away Stars!) and I understand why they have those particular judges, even the non-skating choreographer.

My favorite of the night was Rebecca Budig. Even with skating experience as a child which two or three of the stars laid claim to, it isn't like riding a bike. As you age your sense of balance isn't the same with shifting weight. I thought the routines were very ambitious for only five weeks training.

I swear I saw Kate sitting between Tony and Len during Bethany's routine. Perhaps she is in town to sit in the audience tonight for DWTS.

I will be watching this show again. Next week they are doing a Cha-Cha-Cha and another ballroom type dance. Rather than pairs skating, this is more like Ice Dancing.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

FORT Fogey

I swear I saw Kate sitting between Tony and Len during Bethany's routine. Perhaps she is in town to sit in the audience tonight for DWTS.

--Thank goodness someone else thought they saw her too. Even if it wasn't her, I feel better knowing I wasn't just imagining that I saw her (or someone who looked like her).

I thought I saw her too, Tilden. I went to look at the video on Hulu to make sure and it's not up yet. The vid they have up runs until the commercial break right before Bethenny's routine and then it just says "Continued in Part 2" but part 2 isn't uploaded yet.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Kate is covering this show for ET. yuck.
    No Rain - No Rainbows - Nextel commercial

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by schmoo2;4112847;
    Kate is covering this show for ET. yuck.
    She was spotted at DWTS too. Maybe she's covering both.

Yes, she's so warm and telegenic. I can see why they'd hire her.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden;4112824;

--Thank goodness someone else thought they saw her too. Even if it wasn't her, I feel better knowing I wasn't just imagining that I saw her (or someone who looked like her).
    I went and watched that part of the video and it's definitely Kate. She actually looks pretty good, as much as it pains me to say it. She and Tony looked happy and relaxed....although it could be an act on Tony's part. He might just be terrified of her

I moved my post over to this thread as it is regarding the 1st premiere show the other day.

WOW....I am not sure what to think, except that it sure was a strange and somewhat comical show. Here are some of my observations:

-The whole show reminded me of the comedy movie "Blades of Glory", especially with the gimmick area where they skate behind the rink in that sem-circle area. I just found myself laughing through most of the show.

-Where do they get these british type accented hosts? Who is that guy?

-I felt some of the better skaters purposely did not do as well as they could, to allow purposeful improvement on the next shows(s). I felt they were purposely holding back to make it look like they werent as good as they really are. A good example is the skiier guy. I watched him closely, and he seemed to be purposely holding back and seemed to be purposely making himself look a little awkward on the skates during the performance. But as soon as performance was over, he easily + confidently skated over to the judges table. The same kind of thing happened with that girl skater who had previous experience as a kid.

-That poor older lady skater sure looked like she was terrified out there. She must have taken some falls during practice, because it was obvious she was terrified.

-I am seriously afraid that someone is going to get hurt out there. They need to be careful of not having their skate blades brush against bare skin, like head or neck area. This is a disater waiting to happen.

-Lastly...Why do all these shows always need a judge to be the "bad guy" judge. We now have the older gentleman who thinks he is the middle judge on DWTS or a Simon Cowl wantebe. Enough already with forcing a judge to be the bad guy. That is so old already. They don't even try to hide the fakeness anymore.

Can't wait for next week.

FORT Fogey

-Lastly...Why do all these shows always need a judge to be the "bad guy" judge. We now have the older gentleman who thinks he is the middle judge on DWTS or a Simon Cowl wantebe. Enough already with forcing a judge to be the bad guy. That is so old already. They don't even try to hide the fakeness anymore.

---The "older gentleman in the middle" is Dick Button, who's covered figure skating since, literally, 1960 for ABC. He also has two Olympic gold medals of his own in men's figure skating. And he's pretty much always been exactly that way, so he's not a wannabe anyone. He's so well known for his critical, sometimes bizarre, comments and distinctive vocabulary (his fondness for the word "spiffy," his "I don't give a rusty hoot for conventional thinking") that die-hard skating fans have compiled lists of Buttonisms.

I suspect Skating with the Stars hired him as their version of Len, but he's not taking Len or anyone else as his inspiration for how to behave or sound. He's been like that forever. Heck, back in the day, he was the one who convinced ABC that the formality of figure skating demanded that the announcers wear tuxes, just because he loathed the ugly Century 21 looking sport coats that ABC sports commentators were wearing at the time (and he was right about those coats--they were hideous).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast