+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 11/22 Premiere Show Discussion

FORT Fogey

Re: 11/22 Premiere Show Discussion

This show was one of the dumbest shows that I have ever seen. I will not be taking a second look.

I didn't have any trouble understanding the host. He sounded a bit like those hosts on the late night sell you anything hour long commercials.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

This show is quite the trainwreck. I liked the host and the "stars" did OK with the skating, but the judges are awful. Dick needs to go back to retirement. I have no idea who the female judge is or what qualifies her to judge skating, and Johnny needs to make a decision already... I'll just leave it at that.

I don't think I can sit through another 15 minutes of this one much less 2 hours. Who comes up with this crap?

I watched the first couple of skaters, but once I realized that Castle was preempted I threw in the towel and went to bed early. I found the announcer so cheesy and offputting that I couldn't stand two hours of him interspersed with a little bit of skating.

I might enjoy this show more if I hadn't just been spoiled by Battle of the Blades, a far superior celebrity (hockey player)/professional skater competition. And I really don't care for that host - possibly the accent, possibly that I've been spoiled for hosts by Tom Bergeron. I did like them showing us two moves that must be incorporated, though. They really should think about doing that on DWTS.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

I gave it a shot and sat through the whole, boring episode, but I won't be tuning in next week. Maybe if they had actual stars, or ice-skating stars, it would catch my interest. It just isn't worthy of being on a major network - maybe some obscure cable network show on late night or something.
    Speaking of late night - the host sounds just like Craig Ferguson! Did anyone else laugh at the very beginning when he got over-excited at announcing the show and said "This is Skating with the....." ? Then he pulled the microphone away from his mouth on accident as he put both arms out victoriously - making it so that you couldn't hear him actually say the word "Stars"? Hilarious!

I thought it was really dull and only managed to sit through Brandon's routine.
    I think, like Rattus, I might have been spoiled by Battle of the Blades.
    I didn't mind the host, Vernon Kay. I grew up amongst people who have a similar accent so that didn't bother me in the least. He did host another show over here a while back, Hot Me Baby One More Time, which was quite a fun show.
    He's just been involved in a sexting scandal in the UK after he was caught sending messages to a glamour model behind his wife, Tess Daly's back.
    She's the "Brooke Burns" of the UK DWTS Strictly Come Dancing, apparently.
    "That's Numberwang!"

The host is mildly annoying, the female judge is beyond over the top annoying. If this show is going to stay on the air, they have to get rid of her. Someone less over the top and actually has a working knowledge of skating. Dorothy Hamil, Michelle Kwan, Lori Nichol, Jo-Jo Starbuck, the list is endless of qualified ladies who would be great. My sister is an avid skating fan so I will probably end up watching again, but this show needs major work. BTW love Dennis (and his wife Melissa) but some of the other pros are very little known and are actually ameteur skaters. Definitely could've done better there though most of the "elite" are touring.
    "We were just going to do whatever it took to win."--Texas Longhorn Quarterback Colt McCoy

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;4111972;
    Tony was there, but I believe that was his wife in the audience with him.

If Kate was there, luckily I missed her.

I watched on and off tonight. I was more impressed than I thought I'd be. Not a fan of Bethenney's, but am loving Rebecca, the Disney guy, and Johnny.

I really liked how they did their scoring. DWTS had a little sanity back in their early years, and it'd be nice to return to that.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who did a double take to the Cheryl Burke look alike skater. I thought I already going through DWTS withdrawls, and I don't even care for Cheryl
    I also liked the fact that they didn't open the polls until the show was over and they had an hour to vote. But the female judge has to go.
    "We were just going to do whatever it took to win."--Texas Longhorn Quarterback Colt McCoy

Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders;4112365;
    I gave it a shot and sat through the whole, boring episode, but I won't be tuning in next week. Maybe if they had actual stars, or ice-skating stars, it would catch my interest. It just isn't worthy of being on a major network - maybe some obscure cable network show on late night or something.
    Speaking of late night - the host sounds just like Craig Ferguson! Did anyone else laugh at the very beginning when he got over-excited at announcing the show and said "This is Skating with the....." ? Then he pulled the microphone away from his mouth on accident as he put both arms out victoriously - making it so that you couldn't hear him actually say the word "Stars"? Hilarious!
    I don't hear the similarity at all. Vernon Kaye is British and Craig is Scottish - totally different accent. I laughed when he threw his arms out while announcing the name of the show too. Too funny!

Yes, VK was a bit cheesy, but it's not like Tom Bergeron is Mr. Serious Host. I liked him an didn't have any trouble understanding him. I'm okay with a little eye candy
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast