+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Judges

Re: Judges

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden;4108314;
    When I first heard it, I thought how odd it was that someone with Tessa's last name should end up in an affair with a married man. Not that I don't place at least as much blame on David here.
    ITA - it's beyond ironic. If it's true, the tabloids could have a field day with that!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4108361;
    ITA - it's beyond ironic. If it's true, the tabloids could have a field day with that!

I wonder if the Canadian version of tabloids haven't already had at it, as it's old news. Even Kurt Browning burning down his house with a leaf blower is newer news than that (and that got covered everywhere, at least in Canada).

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden;4108148;
    Infidelity. Depending on whom you believe it was on his part or both their parts. Supposedly he's gotten involved with Tessa Virtue of Virtue and Moir, the OGM in ice dance.
    I don't quite remember from '02 but didn't he leave his first wife for Jamie? Apparently once that pattern starts...
    "We were just going to do whatever it took to win."--Texas Longhorn Quarterback Colt McCoy

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden;4108404;
    I wonder if the Canadian version of tabloids haven't already had at it, as it's old news. Even Kurt Browning burning down his house with a leaf blower is newer news than that (and that got covered everywhere, at least in Canada).
    Kurt Browning burned his house down with a leaf blower!?

I'm sorry for his loss, but that's funny.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden;4106968;
    If Kurt were going to be involved in something like this, it would more likely be Canada's Battle of the Blades. There's already a British version, so if Cousins wanted to be involved, he could do that one (I really miss his wonderful Improv on Ice specials; wish he'd do that instead). Scott was a commentator for Skate America last week and has his own charity events to manage. He's probably too busy. I'm not sure about Peggy Fleming, but she simply may not be interested in doing something like this.

?
    I hadn't heard of Improv on Ice, but it was on tv yesterday right after the Grand Prix of Russia competition. I loved it! That has to be so hard to do for skaters who are used to spending months working on their routines. I'll definitely look for more of them.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel;4111476;
    I hadn't heard of Improv on Ice, but it was on tv yesterday right after the Grand Prix of Russia competition. I loved it! That has to be so hard to do for skaters who are used to spending months working on their routines. I'll definitely look for more of them.

Dang! I didn't know it was on. Oh, well. Skating fans are notoriously scrupulous about posting anything and everything on youtube, so I can probably catch it there. And, of course, had my Sunday paper actually been delivered as it was supposed to be, I would have had the TV listings and would have known it was on.

Quote Originally Posted by Columbia, MD;4102587;
    I would love to see Scott Hamilton. He is right in the middle, so to speak, between Dick Button and Johnny Weir. He is one of the greatest skaters ever and I hope he is doing well. just my opinion.
    I would watch every week if Scott was on it. I had a little crush on him when he was skating in the Olympics.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Allie;4111854;
    I would watch every week if Scott was on it. I had a little crush on him when he was skating in the Olympics.
    There are some wonderful videos available on-line of the skating benefit Scott did earlier this month. It's amazing to me that he had a malignant brain tumor removed late last summer and is dashing around the rink, tossing off back flips in early November. I don't think anyone has ever loved being on the ice in front of an audience as much as Scott.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4111415;
    Kurt Browning burned his house down with a leaf blower!?

I'm sorry for his loss, but that's funny.
    Oh, it's even weirder than it sounds. He was drying the leather seats of his convertible with a leaf blower in his garage. He left the garage, apparently leaving the blower on and leaning against he car, to answer a question posed by the guy painting the interior of the house, and by the time he got back to the garage, it was engulfed in flames. He tried to put it out, couldn't, and called the fire department. At one point, I believe four firetrucks were at his house, which sustained something like a million dollars worth of damage. Fortunately, Kurt, the painter, one of Kurt's sons who happened to be in the house (the other wasn't home at the time, and the dog all got out without injury, however. Sonia, Kurt's wife, wasn't home at the time. I can't imagine having to explain to your wife that you burned the house down trying to dry off your leather convertible seats with a leaf blower, and you know he must have had to do that.

I remember seeing Scott skating years ago. He came into the audience and it was just electric. Probably one of my all time favorite skaters. A really nice guy, as well.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast