+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Judges

Re: Judges

I'm with you, Florimel

Actually, I'm hoping they might get 1 of them to host this.
    They really should have a recognizable figure for the job.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel;4106853;
    I love Dick Button. I like Johnny Weir skating, but not so much talking. Some judges I'd have liked to see would be Kurt Browning, Peggy Fleming, Robin Cousins, and as mentioned above, Scott Hamilton.
    If Kurt were going to be involved in something like this, it would more likely be Canada's Battle of the Blades. There's already a British version, so if Cousins wanted to be involved, he could do that one (I really miss his wonderful Improv on Ice specials; wish he'd do that instead). Scott was a commentator for Skate America last week and has his own charity events to manage. He's probably too busy. I'm not sure about Peggy Fleming, but she simply may not be interested in doing something like this.

I suspect the big name skaters/commentators have other irons in the fire. Frankly, I'm really surprised Dick Button is involved. I'm not so surprised Johnny Weir is, as he has a book coming out and he's recorded a couple of songs, so he has things to plug. Plus, he's been willing to take on a lot of projects since...well, I can't say retiring, since he hasn't officially retired, but I do have a hard time seeing him coming back to amateur competition at this point. I have an equally hard time seeing Evan deciding to stick around for another Olympics, for that matter, and I think he was/is more into competition than Johnny is. That's not to say that Johnny was a bad competitor. He simply prefers to skate his own style, regardless of the COP, which makes it tough for him to compete at the same level he once did under a different system. He's also made it pretty clear that he prefers artistic, pro-style skating to what he's required to do in the competitive ranks, even if he has said he'd like to go to Sochi. I could see him doing color commentary at Sochi, given his Russian language skills, as opposed to being on the team. But, hey, four years is a long time. Who knows who'll be skating how at that point. I would have bet money Evan couldn't have won the OG without a quad too, so what do I know?

I just saw Kurt Browning hosting some figure skating show this past weekend. His skating has always been so creative and he's very personable. I never saw enough of Robin Cousins, another creative and innovative free style skater. Since this is pairs skating, I also thought I'd like to see a pairs couple judging, or perhaps guest judging from time to time -- Torville and Dean, or Pelletier and Sale, or Tai and Randy.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;4102486;
    Now that might be a reason to watch.
    At least there's star power with the judges.
    I can't wait for this show's premier. Can't wait to see how they pull this off.

I love figure skating and ice dancing. It's going to be quite a challenge for them to put on a good show with inexperienced skaters. A lot harder to fake than DWTS.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel;4107034;
    I just saw Kurt Browning hosting some figure skating show this past weekend. His skating has always been so creative and he's very personable. I never saw enough of Robin Cousins, another creative and innovative free style skater. Since this is pairs skating, I also thought I'd like to see a pairs couple judging, or perhaps guest judging from time to time -- Torville and Dean, or Pelletier and Sale, or Tai and Randy.
    --I believe S/P are involved with Canada's Battle of the Blades, plus stills skating together despite an unpleasant divorce. They'd be unavailable. The more I think of it, the more I think KB might be doing commentary for coverage of Canadian skating events and/or Canadian coverage of the Grand Prix. I don't know about Robin Cousins, but my guess is he has his own plans in Great Britain. Christopher Dean is working as a choreographer. Not sure about Jayne Torville. The most likely on the list you've supplied--in terms of having time for this--would be Tai or Randy. I think Randy does some choreography, but Tai hasn't skated publicly for some time.

I don't think this will be much of a pairs event. My guess is that it will have to be more like ice dancing than pairs skating. Otherwise, the female stars would have a huge advantage as they'd have experienced skaters lifting them (and they could be lifted a lot if they didn't skate particularly well and their partners wanted to hide that). The female pros would also have to rely on inexperienced skaters to lift them and that could be potentially dangerous.

Wow, I hadn't realized Sale and Peltier were divorcing. What happened?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4107417;
    Wow, I hadn't realized Sale and Peltier were divorcing. What happened?
    Infidelity. Depending on whom you believe it was on his part or both their parts. Supposedly he's gotten involved with Tessa Virtue of Virtue and Moir, the OGM in ice dance.

FORT Fogey

Just read on Figure Skating Universe's Great Skate Debate that Sale and Peltier and Kurt Browning are all part of a Canadian Holiday on Ice Tour. It's a very abbreviated tour (December 3-5), but that would coincide with the time period during which Skating with the Stars is being aired, so I would assume that none of them could be involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden;4108148;
    Infidelity. Depending on whom you believe it was on his part or both their parts. Supposedly he's gotten involved with Tessa Virtue of Virtue and Moir, the OGM in ice dance.
    Well, ick. So much for Tessa's sweetheart image, huh?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4108301;
    Well, ick. So much for Tessa's sweetheart image, huh?
    When I first heard it, I thought how odd it was that someone with Tessa's last name should end up in an affair with a married man. Not that I don't place at least as much blame on David here.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast