+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Skating With The Stars

Re: Skating With The Stars

I assume there will be injuries. There are injuries when you have very skilled people trying to do this stuff. I too hope they won't be serious in nature. The ones I worry about the most are the female pros who are getting lifted by the amateur "stars". They are the most exposed to really serious injury - especially if they push the limit in an attempt to get higher scores. These pros will be trying to establish themselves in the circle of bankable talent and might therefore be more inclined to take more risks than an established pro with a household name.

On another topic I am curious what they will do about music. I hope they use pre-recorded music as opposed to further employing the DwtS band.

ABC has officially announced the pro partners and the hosts for the show.

Breaking News - Pro Skater Pairings, Host and Color Commentator for ABC's "Skating With the Stars" Announced | TheFutonCritic.com

I don't know Vernon Kay, but I really like Tanith. She is a sweet person who I have met on several occasions. I expect she will do well in this role.

The official pairings as announced are as follows:

Bethenny Frankel & Ethan Burgess
    Brandon Mychal Smith & Keauna McLaughlin
    Jonny Moseley & Brooke Castile
    Rebecca Budig & Fred Palascak
    Sean Young & Denis Petukhov
    Vince Neil & Jennifer Wester

Looks like Denis will be participating after all.

God, Bruce Jenner bled all over the ice when he was skating. He was pretty banged up by the end of the show. Kristy Swanson got bashed on the ice during a performance, Lloyd swung her around and *BAM*, right on the ice. She kept skating, but she was a bit bloody during judging.
    Gee this show might be worth watching after all!!

Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders;4094942;
    I would think they need to know how to skate to try this or else they will spend all of their time just learning how to skate. However, if they don't know how to skate, it may be much more entertaining - meaning a total trainwreck! LOL!

I really like Apollo and think it would be fun to have him on television again.
    This is yet another clone of a British TV show (like DWTS). In the Brit version, the contestants learned to skate several weeks in advance of the show, so I'm sure that's what they'll do here so at least the stars won't be falling over themselves.

It's a shame, though, because in Britain they had the legendary ice dancing team of Torvil & Dean do the pre-show training and then host the show every week. I, too, wish they would use some recognizable skaters in the American version.

I must say that I thought it would be cheesy, too, but it turned out to be not to be. The stars really had fun with it. I hope the American version turns out as well.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Quote Originally Posted by DancingDad;4102363;
    I assume there will be injuries. There are injuries when you have very skilled people trying to do this stuff. I too hope they won't be serious in nature. The ones I worry about the most are the female pros who are getting lifted by the amateur "stars". They are the most exposed to really serious injury - especially if they push the limit in an attempt to get higher scores. These pros will be trying to establish themselves in the circle of bankable talent and might therefore be more inclined to take more risks than an established pro with a household name.
    Not to be a broken record, but in the Brit version there were no lifts allowed. The stars instead were expected to try basic skills like jumping (which amounted to about an inch for the stars ) and spinning. Although the stars fell occasionally, I honestly don't remember any injuries. They just picked themselves up and tried to salvage their dignity.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

If I remember correctly (and I could just go read my own recaps if I wasn't so lazy! ), they did some very basic lifts on Skating With Celebrities. Nothing too dangerous for most people, but for the celebs, it was scary. I also remember that Kurt Browning was so little he pretty much couldn't lift his partner, Deborah Gibson and, when they finally did a tiny lift, it was a big deal.

So, now we have a host, a color commentator and only two judges? They need one more judge, imo. They should get Kristy Yamaguchi and really capitalize on that DWTS connection.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Missyboxers;4101881;
    I think I'd be watching that one through my fingers. I'd be afraid of someone smacking the platform on an inward or something (plus I'm afraid of heights, vicariously... I didn't dare attempt the 5 meter board on the training trip in college).

Maybe I say this because I'm uncoordinated or possibly because of an ESPN "highlight" I once saw involving a misplaced skate blade, but even skating seems fraught with injury potential-- something about sharp blades flying around..

Never mind that if I attempted even the simplest spin, I'd probably end up on my backside, so maybe I'm just projecting.
    missyboxers.

I have to admit, I was just trying to think of the worst... cheesiest... events possible to do with stars. Synchronized swimming tops them.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat;4103980;
    missyboxers.

I have to admit, I was just trying to think of the worst... cheesiest... events possible to do with stars. Synchronized swimming tops them.
    Rhythmic gymnastics would be pretty bad too.

Of course, they do have synchronized skating too, but it requires a lot more people. They have pairs as well as larger team synchronized swimming events.

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;4096936;
    I've never heard of any of those skaters.
    And, I'm a pretty big fan of ice skating.

At least on Fox's Skating show, the skaters were recognizable.

I think I may have to skip the axels and so caw's (sp?) and miss this.
    I only know of McLaughlin (McLaughlin/Burbaker) and Petukov (because he skates with wife Melissa and I just loved them as a couple.) None of them are huge stars. Most are still olympic eligible which I find interesting, because DWTS pros are pros not ameteurs in their sport.
    "We were just going to do whatever it took to win."--Texas Longhorn Quarterback Colt McCoy

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat;4103980;
    missyboxers.

I am thinking of that old SNL (Saturday Night Live) skit with the 2 male synchronized swimmers. Hysterical.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast