Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Skating With The Stars

Re: Skating With The Stars

Quote Originally Posted by Marlena_M;4100136;
    Salchow / Salchows
    Thanks for the spelling.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I'm still hoping against hope taht they do bring in a recognizable host like Apolo, Krist, Michelle, Scott, etc.
    As far as the judges, I hope that they get the caliber of judges that Fox got back in 2006.

Ice skating is my favorite winter sport to watch, but with non recognizable pros and even less recognizable "stars", I don't know if I can bear to watch, even though I have to agree with Critical about the "trainwreck" aspect.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;4100144;
    [/B]

Wow. That says a lot about the "stars" that are recognizable nowadays.

Bruce Jenner was an amazing Olympian before Keeping up with the Kardashians became an E fixture.
    It was kind of hard not to know Dave Coulier, Todd Bridges, and Debbie Gibson (not saying everyone would recognize them, but I loved Full House, remember Todd Bridges more for his addictions and brushes with the law, and my siblings grew up in the 80s so Debbie was a regular I heard). I don't remember if I knew Jillian or not. And I knew Kristy from Buffy the Vampire Slayer, which I watched repeatedly as a tween. But Bruce? Nope.

I do agree it's sad when my 8 year old niece is more likely to remember the cast of Jersey Shore and the trainwreck teens in Hollywood now over people who had talent and had more claim to fame than a VH-1 dating show or being a tabloid darling.

I know, You know, Asteroids Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew;4097382;
    I guess my dream of Synchronized Swimming With The Celebrities will have to wait a little longer!

So many possibilities...

Rhythmic gymnastics with the Stars

Platform diving with celebrities (I'd pay to watch that)

Parallel bars with The Stars (just sounds right)

The pummel horse has possibilities...

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;4100144;
    [/B]

Wow. That says a lot about the "stars" that are recognizable nowadays.

Bruce Jenner was an amazing Olympian before Keeping up with the Kardashians became an E fixture.
    Truly. I watched that show and thought that Bruce Jenner was the most well-known of the lot of them and I don't even pay any attention to sporting matters, Olympics included.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat;4101167;
    :
    Platform diving with celebrities (I'd pay to watch that)
    I think I'd be watching that one through my fingers. I'd be afraid of someone smacking the platform on an inward or something (plus I'm afraid of heights, vicariously... I didn't dare attempt the 5 meter board on the training trip in college).

Maybe I say this because I'm uncoordinated or possibly because of an ESPN "highlight" I once saw involving a misplaced skate blade, but even skating seems fraught with injury potential-- something about sharp blades flying around..

Never mind that if I attempted even the simplest spin, I'd probably end up on my backside, so maybe I'm just projecting.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;4101300;
    Truly. I watched that show and thought that Bruce Jenner was the most well-known of the lot of them and I don't even pay any attention to sporting matters, Olympics included.
    Even tho I live in So Calif, I hardly ever see any celebs...too much of a homebody, I think.
    Anyway, when the Olympics were held in '84, my (ex)husband won some competition at work and we got to see a lot of sports events and a couple social events. At one party, I got to meet Bruce Jenner. At the time, I kinda knew the name, knew he was a great athlete but not much more. But this I can say: The guy was gorgeous!! Young, fit and handsome as can be. He probably would have aged very nicely if he'd left his face alone!!
    Last edited by Dragonlady; 02-23-2011 at 12:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by thedragonlady;4101926;
    Even tho I live in So Calif, I hardly ever see any celebs...too much of a homebody, I think.
    Anyway, when the Olympics were held in '84, my (ex)husband won some competition at work and we got to see a lot of sports events and a couple social events. At one party, I got to meet Bruce Jenner. At the time, I kinda knew the name, knew he was a great athlete but not much more. But this I can say: The guy was gorgeous!! Young, fit and handsome as can be. He probably would have aged very nicely if he'd left his face alone!!

Totally agree with you on that.
    Supposedly, he realized a while back how awful the surgery had made him look. He had more surgery to try and restore it. But, looks like the damage could not be undone. His surgery, and his wife's, should be a lesson to anyone - sometimes it is better to age naturally. Otherwise, you can end up looking like these 2!!

Quote Originally Posted by Missyboxers;4101881;
    Maybe I say this because I'm uncoordinated or possibly because of an ESPN "highlight" I once saw involving a misplaced skate blade, but even skating seems fraught with injury potential-- something about sharp blades flying around.
    No kidding. We in the great white north are currently enjoying season two of Battle of the Blades, and by the second episode, George Laraque took Annabelle Langlois' skate to the face when he dropped her during practice, requiring 12 stitches. He is lucky the thing didn't take an eye out.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

God, Bruce Jenner bled all over the ice when he was skating. He was pretty banged up by the end of the show. Kristy Swanson got bashed on the ice during a performance, Lloyd swung her around and *BAM*, right on the ice. She kept skating, but she was a bit bloody during judging.

I think it's a given that people are going to fall and get hurt. Hopefully, it's not too serious when they do. A few people falling on their butts isn't a big deal, but my enjoyment will be muted if there are actual serious injuries!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast