+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: 1/30 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cablejockey View Post
    I was disappointed in Kurt and Debbie's leaving. Kurt did struggle with one of the lifts, but he didnt drop her--which should be a big no-no. Debbie was so into skating she wants to continue, which shows real interest in all this.
    I thought it was odd that nobody said much about Kirsty's injury. She was bleeding and it was almost ignored. I noticed from the first show that Lloyd was having a hard time lifting his partner, so I wasnt too surprised to see him let her get too low so that she got cut.
    The music was fun, costumes awful--sure wish we at home could vote.

Kurt was at a real disadvantage 'cause, like he said, he's a smallish guy and Deborah (while not big by normal standards) is about as tall as he is and weighs more than most pairs figure skaters. I was worried he might get a hernia when he was lifting her (trust me, if he was my pairs partner, we'd have better luck with ME lifting him).

Of the current celebs, Deborah was the weakest skater. Kristy and Jillian (who both have a skating background, right? I know Jill does but Kristy does, too, right?) are capable of doing the harder tricks. Although I worry about Lloyd and John, too, whipping those gals around. Take a look at Kyoko Ina (John's partner) and then look at Jillian and I'd say there's a good 20 to 30 pound differential.

Jillian at least has a personality. Kristy is about as personable as a potato.

Pairs skating has taken its cues from gymnastics where coaches now seem to try to find the smallest woman skater they can and pair them with a 6-foot or taller guy. Ekaterina Gordeeva and the late Sergei Grinkov were a prime example of that. She's about 5 feet. I think he was about 6-feet-2. Even Gordeeva, as tiny as she was, would worry about weighing too much and (in her book she said this so I'm guessing it's true) would starve herself so Sergei wouldn't have to work so hard to lift her.

This whole show is goofy and I take it for what it is -- entertainment where the scores make no sense. Just like this show!

p.s. Marleybone, is that your dog or is that Marley from "Marley and Me"? I loved that book!

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane View Post

Of the current celebs, Deborah was the weakest skater. Kristy and Jillian (who both have a skating background, right? I know Jill does but Kristy does, too, right?) are capable of doing the harder tricks.
    I read somewhere that Kristy had skated previous at the junior levels, whatever that means.

Good thing that it's not "arithmetic with celebrities". I was feeling rather sorry for Kristy when she smacked her chin, but part of me thinks that since neither her nor Lloyd could knew what the scores were (and even if they knew their score they probably still would have to have been told which was the higher number) I think that they should have been disqualified. I know that it has nothing to do with their skating, but if you can't pay attention then go home. She smacked her head. What was Lloyd's excuse.
    I feel somewhat sad that Deborah and Kurt are gone, but I am not suprised that she is.She does not have the skills that the others have and Kurt was never a pairs skater. Last week part of me was hoping that they would be sent home (even though they were my favourite team) so that I could stop watching. Now I want to see how far Bruce Jenner can progress. Even though he was an athlete he is still past his prime and it is encouraging to see somewhat his age doing so well.
    Dave Coulier thinks that he is funny. I can't imagine that anyone else in the world does. Nancy Kerrigan has no personality at all. Together they bring all the pleasures of root canal. I wish that they would just skate off into the horizon.
    On the plus side: any excuse to play Motown on television is a good thing.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by William13 View Post
    Good thing that it's not "arithmetic with celebrities". I was feeling rather sorry for Kristy when she smacked her chin, but part of me thinks that since neither her nor Lloyd could knew what the scores were (and even if they knew their score they probably still would have to have been told which was the higher number) I think that they should have been disqualified.

LOL!!! TOO FUNNY! I was actually pretty amazed about that, too... Kristy was bleeding so I'll cut her some slack... but come on Lloyd! Your career used to be all about figuring out whether you won by 1/10th of a point!

It was good to see Randy Gardner (even if he wasn't skating). I used to have a HUGE crush on him when I was a little kid... I remember being so sad for them when he and Tai couldn't compete in the Olympics 'cause of a groin injury... (? it was his groin, right?) How heartbreaking!

Not for nothing, but I have NO gaydar whatsoever...is he (Randy) gay? Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I know about Tai many loves and the famous guys she's dated, but I don't recall hearing a peep about Randy's loves. I hope he's happy! He's always been such a classy guy...and HE's aging beautifully, unlike Bruce.

Does anyone else think that Bruce's plastic surgery is almost as bad as Michael Jackson's? I do have to give it up for the guy though--he's skating pretty well for an old geezer!

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar
    Bearcata, I don't think anyone said anything to Nancy about falling because they were afraid she would cry, "Why meeeeeee?"

I am a long time skating fan (I remember watching Peggy Fleming) and
    I have to say I've really enjoyed this. I do think they are pushing the envelope as far as what they learn each week. Can it go too far? Maybe. And maybe that's what makes it so entertaining.

I love the fact that Dorothy is such a cheerleader-she is doing what is intended, which is entertainment!

When I was gone play poker, now I know what's going on with Skating with Celebrities. I hate when Deborah is gone. I think she should've gone back to broadway, but I admired her 80's music. One day, I love to see Deb singing Shake Your Love.

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane View Post
    Not for nothing, but I have NO gaydar whatsoever...is he (Randy) gay?
    Yes.
    Token Christian.

If truth is relative, how do you know?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456