+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: 1/23 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    Well at least the poorest skater is sent packing. Unlike Dancing with the Stars where we are being subjected to the poorest dancer week after week because of audience voting.
    Totally agree - I had to stop watching DWTS, that was too painful being subjected to P Frankenstein.

OK, Dorothy Hamill is USELESS as a judge on this show. Is she really watching the skating? Or is it all just bubbly gushing to each contestant regardless of skill. At least the 2 male judges are giving constructive criticism. Dorothy is just blowing smoke up their a**. .
    Yeah - what did she say to John and Jillian - something like "You look so...fine together!" Gah!

I've also stopped watching Dancing With the Stars because I love ballroom dancing and as long as P is there, I'm not.

Isn't is amazing what happens when you let the judges judge and the audience watch (and not vote).

Dorothy is definitely being the encouraging judge, but I have heard her tell the celebs what they need to improve. And her scores are pretty much in line with the other two judges.

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I've also stopped watching Dancing With the Stars because I love ballroom dancing and as long as P is there, I'm not.

Isn't is amazing what happens when you let the judges judge and the audience watch (and not vote).

Dorothy is definitely being the encouraging judge, but I have heard her tell the celebs what they need to improve. And her scores are pretty much in line with the other two judges.

Her scores are always higher than the other two. Only once or twice has she scored them lower. Even my husband who hates figure skating said: her scores do not in any way reflect what's happening on the ice. She's always a couple tenths of a point higher.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Her scores are always higher than the other two. Only once or twice has she scored them lower. Even my husband who hates figure skating said: her scores do not in any way reflect what's happening on the ice. She's always a couple tenths of a point higher.
    I'm sorry to disagree, but I have seen her scores lower by a tenth or two on occasion. I wish I could remember on which skaters, but I don't. I'll try to start writing them down so I can back this up.

I do agree with you that she has a tendency to mark up, but that's true even in the real world of figure skating. There is often a bigger discrepancy among judges scores than we've seen here.

Premium Member
    I also think Dorothy is just nice and would like to have everybody win.

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    Did people really wear purple crushed velvet pants in the 70's?
    Yup and and crushed velvet jackets and hotpants and vests and hats and probably other things I'm forgetting. We also wore lots of things made out of some sort of bulletproof, slinkey, shiney knit stuff.

As for the "purple" part of the question, that was probably the most bitchin' color. However, hot pink, acid green, yellow, and orange (anything that looked good under blacklights ) in the aforementioned fabrics were also acceptable.

And we thought we were really cool, which is the most hilarious part.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

I'm just sitting here disappointed... .wondering where the 1/23 Shoe Discussion is?

And call me late to the party.... just realized that this show is COMPLETELY taped ahead of time. Silly me thought it was fairly recent. *sigh*

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadway View Post
    I'm just sitting here disappointed... .wondering where the 1/23 Shoe Discussion is?
    I wondered that too back in post #21.

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone View Post
    I wondered that too back in post #21.
    I haven't read the thread.... just got all excited back on the forum page. I knew one of you quick witted wimmin would have beaten me.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway View Post

And call me late to the party.... just realized that this show is COMPLETELY taped ahead of time. Silly me thought it was fairly recent. *sigh*
    I wonder if they gave them more than a week between "broadcast weeks" to work on their routines. It seems like some of these skills are things that would take more than a week to improve so much on.

For whomever it was who asked earlier about Jillian's skating experience. I think it was pretty extensive when she was younger. I had the impression, when she spoke after the routine last week that, she had actually even tried to be a competitive skater when she was young--maybe up to jr. high or high school age. She's clearly had way more experience than anyone else (although Kristy Swanson apparently spent time on skates when she was a kid, but I don't think she had any figure skating training).

I think Jillian's desire to show off last week is going to come back to haunt her. She definitely created an expectation that will be hard to live up to. With as much skating experience as she has, she didn't need to pull out all the stops the first week in order to be better than everyone else, but she did, and now the judges expect more from her. She is also pushing herself in a way that is causing injuries just like John said it would last week (can anyone say "forshadowing"?)

Last week, I wasn't feeling a ton of resentment over the fact that they had put someone with so much experience in with novices, but I was sad tonight when I saw how much better Deborah and Kurt's routine was and thought that they might go home anyway, because they were competing against someone who wasn't just learning. I'm glad they got a chance to stay.

As for what people have said about the teams with male professional pairs skaters having an advantage, I think they absolutely do. Lifts and moves where the woman is flipped around the guy's body are so impressive, and aside from having the courage to allow themselves to be thrown around and placed so high in the air, the woman isn't really doing that much other than thinking light and holding the position while the guy does the footwork or whatever on the ice.

I'm not minimizing the importance of being able to hit and hold a lovely position, but it's not the same thing as the male celebrities having to develop the upper body strength to do these moves and learn how to maintain their balance and look graceful while lifting someone and then adding footwork on top of it all. It seems like way more of a learning curve for the guys--even for Kurt who is a professional skater but hasn't had to do lifts and the body flippy dance moves (although I think maybe the individual skaters do sometimes team up to do some pairs stuff in the ice shows he's in).

ETA: Sorry this is so long, but I'm trying to avoid double-posting.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

+ Reply to Thread