+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 1/18 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723 View Post
    I don't get the judging though, are they being easier on the celebrities who didn't know how to skate previously?
    Agreed. The judging seems pretty arbitrary and I think the judges want to be liked by the audience...so they're not being too harsh yet. Except John Nicks, who I'm sure was hired to be the Simon Cowell of the judges. (Speaking of judges, is it just me or does Dorothy Hamill look really, really young? I want to know what she and Peggy Fleming do to stay so young looking!)

However, Kristy Swanson and Lloyd did a really good routine (shaky and not as polished and Jillian and John), but still a good routine filled with some tricky steps. And they got a lower score the Kurt and Deborah Gibson? Their routine was cute, but Deborah really didn't do much compared to the other novices.

And yes, it's really not fair that you have some people who've never skated a day in their lives (Deborah, Bruce, Todd) and then you have people who've skated quite a bit (Jillian, Dave Coulier). I think even Kristy Swanson skated -- not as a pro or anything (obviously), but she knew how to skate before this show.

My guess though is that the judging is for entertainment value and no one would watch if everyone was a bad skater.

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane View Post
    And yes, it's really not fair that you have some people who've never skated a day in their lives (Deborah, Bruce, Todd) and then you have people who've skated quite a bit (Jillian, Dave Coulier). I think even Kristy Swanson skated -- not as a pro or anything (obviously), but she knew how to skate before this show.
    I agree. Kristy had to have skated before because you don't learn to spin like she did in just a month. Spinning was, in my opinion, the hardest thing to learn, at least is was for me.

I really can't see the point of having a bunch of novices and then throwing in someone who has been skating for 30 years. They should have either made it all novices or all experienced skaters. Not to mention that some of the professionals were experienced at pairs and some were professional at singles competition. Not that they are competing for Olympic medals or large prizes and the celebrities (such as they are) knew what they were getting into. It's just doesn't make for a very suspenseful outcome.
    I did like the show up to the point where they brought in Jillian. I imagine that we are supposed to find her attractive and her and John a hot couple. I did not find her attractive physically or personality-wise. Yes, she and John did skate well. But they were not as good as professionals and watching someone who couldn't skate try had a certain charm that Jillian and John did not.
    I did not really like the Blues Brothers routine because it seemed that Dave was hacking the ice more than he was gliding along it. I think that skating should be more fluid.
    I do admit that my enjoyment of the routines depended a lot on how I felt about the celebrites. I could watch Debbie Gibson (sorry, it's now Deborah Gibson) all night, simply because she seems like a nice, likeable person. but even though I enjoyed her routine with kurt I could see that it wasn't very strong and she probably won't be around much longer.
    I also enjoyed Kristy and Lloyd's routine and I don't understand why they got the marks that they did.

FORT Fan
    I with the ones of you who said "I can't believe that I'm watching this!" Alas I was too tired to move and I was going to tape Project Runway. (I don't know why when they repeat the same show so much!). However, after just watching Bruce and Tai, I was hooked. It was really entertaining!
    I am (was?) such a poor skater, I can't believe how well the rookies were doing.
    I don't really think it is fair( but who said this was fair?!) to have someone like Dave Coulier skate against those who have hardly skated. However, having skated with both types of skates (Yes, a few women's hockey games . . . . thank God for all the padding!. . . . .and some of those women are vicious!) switching types of skating is tough.

Fun show. Will be watching next week or probably be taping next week. (Monday?)

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by William13 View Post
    I did like the show up to the point where they brought in Jillian. I imagine that we are supposed to find her attractive and her and John a hot couple. I did not find her attractive physically or personality-wise. Yes, she and John did skate well. But they were not as good as professionals and watching someone who couldn't skate try had a certain charm that Jillian and John did not.
    From the clips of Jillian trying to do those jumps in practice and her attitude, it seems like she is just out to show off and she seems overly competitive. I didn't have an opinion about her one way or the other before this show, but I would love to see her fall on her ass next week.
    Quote Originally Posted by William13
    I did not really like the Blues Brothers routine because it seemed that Dave was hacking the ice more than he was gliding along it. I think that skating should be more fluid.
    One thing that was funny when I was skating was that the hockey players always complained that the figure skaters tore up the ice, and the figure skaters said the same thing about the hockey players. I took my share of falls because of the ruts in the ice left by the hockey guys, but I also knew a figure skater who dug in so hard on her toe loops that she left holes in the ice as big as my fist and just as deep. I think Dave looked like a hockey player having a bad dream.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Scott Hamilton--liar!

Well, he did fib during the intro...he said that the celebs were all novices and had never skated before. That makes it more dramatic, but for non-Fort viewers who don't know any better (ahem), it would seem as if some of the celebs were REALLY fast learners and the others were a little on the slow side. Can you imagine going in thinking that Jillian had NEVER skated before?

Last night, I was watching a documentary about the 1976 Montreal Olympics and they featured Bruce Jenner (that was the year he won the decalathon). He was sooooooo young then, and that reminded me that he looks like he's had major plastic surgery done on his face recently (or if not, he's just aging REALLY badly).

I watched the show and was entertained, but it wasn't as good as I had hoped it would be. I enjoyed looking at John and that's the main draw for me... maybe I'll flip to it during commercials next week while I'm watching "LOST."

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane View Post

?

Last night, I was watching a documentary about the 1976 Montreal Olympics and they featured Bruce Jenner (that was the year he won the decalathon). He was sooooooo young then, and that reminded me that he looks like he's had major plastic surgery done on his face recently (or if not, he's just aging REALLY badly).
    He's had it for awhile. I remember seeing him on something a couple yrs ago and was floored how bad the nose had turned out, its way too delicate and girly looking.

Show moves to Monday night at 8pm

FYI show is on tonight instead of Wed.

Oh yeah… I'd forgotten. Rats! I'll miss the first half. I have to pick up dd #1 from play rehearsal at 8.
    Token Christian.

If truth is relative, how do you know?

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    FYI show is on tonight instead of Wed.
    So now it's up against The Bachelor.

+ Reply to Thread