+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Jillian Barberie

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sheliabluerose View Post
    I think there is a very serious personal reason why she is pushing herself at this!!! If you remember, during one of her first interviews she actually said this- She said "I have to do good at this This is the one thing my parents would be proud of me for doing!"
    So that is Mommy and Daddy's little girl out there trying to make them proud!! God Bless her I hope she doesn't push herself too hard! Like pass the breaking point!!! Thanks for your interest in my post ~Shelia~
    "Mommy and Daddy's little girl" is going to be 40 years old this fall. I'm sure her parents are already very proud of her and I would be more likely to think she is pushing herself this hard because she wants to prove to herself that she can still do it. I completely understand that, all I'm saying is that it's not worth risking serious injury. I heard her ask in practice, "can I try an axel" and John said a very firm "NO!" He knows it's not safe for her to be out there trying to do those dangerous moves.

Jillian Yay!!!!

All I meant by what I said was that I thought this was just all a little bit more "personal" for Ms. Barbieree then WE the viewing public could know!

However I am also willing to concede that my opinion in this matter could be way off base and therefore all wrong!
    It is after all JUST an opinion
    I am also of the very strong opinion that weather we are 4 or 400 we are always are parents "little ones"

Whatever the reason behind Jillian's hard work I will say this it is causing her to be one of the most enjoyable skaters to watch!
    I am with you in the fact that I DON"T want her to get hurt!! I hope she listens to John!!

Thanks for this spirited yet absolutely enjoyable exchange!!!
    ~Shelia~

Premium Member
    Agreed. This is a dangerous sport, I know about skating injuries from personal experience, and it makes me cringe to watch someone try and push to do things that their bodies are not really capable of doing.

Just a couple random things about Jillian. I used to watch her all the time on the morning news and can vouch she is hilarious and it was fun to see her career really taking off. She also talked on that show sometimes about being adopted and meeting her birth mom, who, she said, looks just like her! She seems like an interesting person. Did anyone see her on Curb Your Enthusiasm?

She's also an animal lover so that gets her points in my book

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandy View Post
    Just a couple random things about Jillian. I used to watch her all the time on the morning news and can vouch she is hilarious and it was fun to see her career really taking off. She also talked on that show sometimes about being adopted and meeting her birth mom, who, she said, looks just like her! She seems like an interesting person. Did anyone see her on Curb Your Enthusiasm?

She's also an animal lover so that gets her points in my book

I like her too. From what I've read, being put up for adoption sends the immediate message that you are not wanted, not even by your own parents (even if the parents were well-intentioned). This is a very diffiult thought for adoptees to process or get past.

Jillian has learned toughness yet humor, too. She seems like a really neat person.

Feels a connection w/ you charlie9's Avatar
    I also dislike Jillian.

I blame the show producers though for inspiring most of my ire - as a former skater myself, I *really* don't think it was fair of them to include her in the competition, since she has trained as a kid and is obviously at a much higher level than the others. I don't think that makes it a fair competition

I am waiting and hoping for Kristy to kick her butt but I am guessing because Jillian has such a higher degree of skill, she'll win.
    Perfection is just fine by me!

Feels a connection w/ you charlie9's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane View Post
    I don't believe her. I doubt she took skating lessons as an adult, but I'm guessing she's pretty athletic all around and took to the ice every now and again just for fun. You can't just do the type of spins she's doing after being off the ice for 25 years, no matter how talented you are.

I hope she and John win the whole thing! Mainly 'cause I enjoy looking at John...wait, did I mention that a few thousand times already?
    I agree with you.

Also, I skated until age 19 - it's ten years later and I only go on and off (like every couple of months) but generally I can still land all my single jumps (last I tried). It's just a huge advantage to have trained seriously. It's like riding a bike, you may lose proficiency, but you don't forget how.

When I saw her do an axel in practice, I was like - okay. This is unfair. You don't just learn to do an axel in three months, trust me. *grumble grumble*

although I totally agree that John is cute! WAAAAY cute.
    Perfection is just fine by me!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345