+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Paris Hilton

Quote Originally Posted by JR.
    It makes perfect sense. Her fame and "career" have nothing to do with talent, or being smart. If it wasn't for the family money and name, we wouldn't know who she is. How is that hard to understand?
    It's not.

Paris Hilton is famous for being famous, not because of a particular reason, like acting, singing or modelling. All of those things happened AFTER she was famous for being Paris Hilton. If she were Paris Smith and grew up as your next door neighbour in like, Des Moines, she wouldn't be famous.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by duckgirl
    It's not.

Paris Hilton is famous for being famous, not because of a particular reason, like acting, singing or modelling. All of those things happened AFTER she was famous for being Paris Hilton. If she were Paris Smith and grew up as your next door neighbour in like, Des Moines, she wouldn't be famous.
    Paris Hilton's family's estimated worth is around $400 million I believe. Now, consider the amount of families that have more (or comparable) money than them. Thousands. Now, since you all tend to think she's ugly, what are the odds there is a more attractive heiress out there? Pretty damn good. How many are raking in millions of dollars because everyone likes watching them? Not a ton.

She was given an opportunity to make millions and she took advantage of the opportunity and I commend her for that.

JR.
    Quote Originally Posted by -ANTM-
    Paris Hilton's family's estimated worth is around $400 million I believe. Now, consider the amount of families that have more (or comparable) money than them. Thousands. Now, since you all tend to think she's ugly, what are the odds there is a more attractive heiress out there? Pretty damn good. How many are raking in millions of dollars because everyone likes watching them? Not a ton.
    What does any of that have to do with talent or being smart? She was a party girl and someone decided to stick a camera in front of her.

Off the top of my head I and think of:
    Nicole Ritchie
    Ashlee Simpson
    Liv & Mia Tyler
    - and I'm sure I could find more if I felt like looking.

Paris Hilton exists. She gets a lot of press and makes a lot of money. Great! That's peachy for her. I hold no ill-will, and I frankly don't care if her success has been undeserved.

But "success" (especially in a popular culture context, which is of dubious value in America) does not equal intelligence, as ANTM has posited. By this definition everyone from Anna Nicole Smith to Courtney Love to Jessica Simpson would count as card-carrying Mensa members, geeez!

But a more significant point is this - it's depressing enough that our standards have changed to the point where self-promotion can trump actual merit. And now...you want me to applaud?

Um, no thanks. I acknowledge the existence of these semi-talented to no-talent starlets, occasionally derive enjoyment from their antics, but they're nothing to congratulate womankind about.
    Last edited by nausicaa; 02-02-2005 at 10:44 PM.

Also wanted to add that that's because most heiresses, as befitting their status, are a heck a lot more discrete and don't seek out that kind of attention.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by nausicaa
    Paris Hilton exists. She gets a lot of press and makes a lot of money. Great! That's peachy for her. I hold no ill-will, and I frankly don't care if her success has been undeserved.

But "success" (especially in a popular culture context, which is of dubious value in America) does not equal intelligence, as ANTM has posited. By this definition everyone from Anna Nicole Smith to Courtney Love to Jessica Simpson would count as card-carrying Mensa members, geeez!

But a more significant point is this - it's depressing enough that our standards have changed to the point where self-promotion can trump actual merit. And now...you want me to applaud?

Um, no thanks. I acknowledge the existence of these semi-talented to no-talent starlets, occasionally derive enjoyment from their antics, but they're nothing to congratulate womankind about.
    I'm not saying you have to like it, but you do have to admit she's good at self promotion.

Edit: I also agree with you wholly on the discretion side of things. Devon Aoki, Stella Tennant, and a lot of others managed to turn themselves into models the discreet way.

Quote Originally Posted by nausicaa

thanks, one more person who gets it

Kao
    Can't say I"m a huge fan, but obviously she's doing something right. I don't think she's a stupid girl, I think she saw an opportunity and ran with it. And while we're here discussing her, she is running to the bank.

I'm not saying you have to like it, but you do have to admit she's good at self promotion.
    Not even that, necessarily. As I'd mentioned before, Paris probably has a bevy of publicists or PR experts or what have you working for her, so I doubt she's even the helmswoman of her own career.

Second of all, America tends to be extremely receptive to blonde famewhores cast from the bimbo mold - excuse my French - provided that they're relatively good-looking and passably scandalous. Paris Hilton's lucred pedigree is an added bonus. In other words, it's doubtful she even had to work very hard even in terms of marketing herself, to get to where she is.

Now, if she were Miss Plain Jane from Normal, Idaho and managed to get the masses interested...then, yeah, I'd give some credence to her being a marketing genius/cultural savant.

Still, despite my grumblings, the bottom line is - I don't care one way or the other. I just don't want to laud Paris as this smart, shrewd entertainer/businesswoman a la Madonna (who no doubt inspired you to think of Miss Hilton this way)...'cause she sure as heck ain't.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast