+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hilton Barred From Using 'Born to Be Wild'

Hilton Barred From Using 'Born to Be Wild'

Hilton Barred From Using 'Born to Be Wild'

Tue Jul 6,12:11 PM ET

NEW YORK - It seems that a lot of people have been unable to resist socialite Paris Hilton. But John Kay of the rock group Steppenwolf did.

Kay told a Canadian newspaper that Hilton asked him to let her use the band's 1968 anthem "Born To Be Wild" on her on-the-road TV show, "The Simple Life."

Kay said he refused the idea outright.

"There are certain things even a rock and roller will not stoop to, and this is one of them," Kay told the Toronto Star.

But Steppenwolf has been friendlier to other offers from Hollywood over the years.

The band's songs, including "Born to Be Wild" appeared on the soundtrack of the classic 1969 road trip film "Easy Rider," starring Peter Fonda and Dennis Hopper.
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...le_steppenwolf

I don't know a whole lot about Steppenwolf, but is his carrer going so well to where he doesn't need a boost in popularity and didn't these rock guys all do the 'Sex Drugs and Rock and roll thing' back in the old days?
    Maybe he was one of the nice guy rockers back then,but if he wasn't what gives?

John Kay is a big supporter of The Elephant Sanctuary in Tennessee and has done a PSA for them, and often lists items that he has signed in their ebay auctions.
    So live that anyone speaking ill of you is branded a liar

Quote Originally Posted by did_it_again
    I don't know a whole lot about Steppenwolf, but is his carrer going so well to where he doesn't need a boost in popularity...
    That song is a classic rock standard. It doesn't need any publicity. As far as I know, Steppenwolf isn't recording any more nor are they touring so they don't need the puplicity for that.

It also could be that (at least in his mind) the song had some sort of deeper meaning and he didn't want it used buy to vapid rich girls to promote thier show. - just a theory.
    Some people are like slinkies, they're useless until you push them down the stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by FinallyHere
    That song is a classic rock standard. It doesn't need any publicity. As far as I know, Steppenwolf isn't recording any more nor are they touring so they don't need the puplicity for that.

It also could be that (at least in his mind) the song had some sort of deeper meaning and he didn't want it used buy to vapid rich girls to promote thier show. - just a theory.

I can accept that.

Quote Originally Posted by FinallyHere
    I'll buy that theory. Bless you John Kay.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

+ Reply to Thread