+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Farm

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar

The Farm

I thought that I'd start a thread for the farm. The reason being, cause I don't think it's an actual "real farm"... as in..a running, functioning, money-making farm. I do recall seeing the "chore board" where Paris had to clean the chicken coop EVERY DAY.. (lol--that's what it said).. but we haven't seen them do any chores yet. Nor have I seen anything resembling a farm. It's just a home in the country to me. I read somewhere that there place is actually for growing grapes?!

Also, the father works for the county/state (?)... not sure what he does, but it doesn't say he's a farmer.
    I think the wife is a substitute teacher, or teacher (?).. but it doesn't list her as a homemaker/farmer's wife/farmer.

So the whole debate about the girls working on a farm for a living is a crock. They are actually there like relatives...and they're being sent out to do "work" in town or at random farms.

Anyone know anything about where they are LIVING?
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

The farm has been in the family since 1882, and the people shown on TV actually DO live there. But no one claims it's a "working" farm.

Yes, I know they do live there....I was just wondering what it is that their "farm" does.
    Perhaps I misunderstood when the show started, I thought they'd be working on THAT farm.
    Eh, no biggy.

Well, according to some basic info I dug up, "Curly"'s real name is Geraldine, and her maiden name is Rofkahr. They lost a son at age 42 in 2000, who owned a HVAC company in Altus. Richard and Curly have 7 kids - 3 daughters, and 4 sons (3 living).

The owner of the bait shop you'll see in an upcoming episode is a cousin, "Buffalo" Bill Leding, who is also retired from the Altus fire department with 25 years of service.

They currently have an ad in the paper that all trespassers on their property will be prosecuted...

More as I get it.

OOOooooo never thought of the trespassers on the property, that would make total sense to have an ad in the paper.

You know John, maybe this should be moved to the Leding Family thread.....sorry.

Even more funny, there are a bunch of no trespassing ads in the paper, because of hunting season. There's one that says something like:

"We'd like to remind everyone that there is no trespassing or hunting on the old Duff place, the old McAlister place, or the old Smith place."

I started singing the Scooby Doo theme song, for some reason...

Hey Mavey,
    I know this is not what you are looking for, but here is some info I found for you. Thought I would share...
    Arkansas is the oldest and largest grape juice and wine producing state in the southern United States? Altus, Arkansas has been producing wine since the 1800s. Altus' wineries were founded by German-Swiss immigrants who settled in the foothills of the Ozark Mountains.
    leave the gun...take the canolis - The Godfather

Quote Originally Posted by Montana
    Hey Mavey,
    I know this is not what you are looking for, but here is some info I found for you. Thought I would share...
    Arkansas is the oldest and largest grape juice and wine producing state in the southern United States? Altus, Arkansas has been producing wine since the 1800s. Altus' wineries were founded by German-Swiss immigrants who settled in the foothills of the Ozark Mountains.

Well well welll.....looky who's here!!!! Montana!
    You should be working while I'm busy chattin' it up with my foRTers!!

But, actually....maybe that is what I was trying to figure out. Maybe when their farm was in "working" status it was a grape growing farm. LOL-Can you imagine these two working on a winery??? Now THAT would be funny...unlike the milk, not a drop would hit the ground-just their stomachs!

FORT Fogey
    In the native arkansas thread I posted a link to one of the wineries in Altus, I have been to several and they are quite fabulous!

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Maveno View Post
    I thought that I'd start a thread for the farm. The reason being, cause I don't think it's an actual "real farm"... as in..a running, functioning, money-making farm. I do recall seeing the "chore board" where Paris had to clean the chicken coop EVERY DAY.. (lol--that's what it said).. but we haven't seen them do any chores yet. Nor have I seen anything resembling a farm. It's just a home in the country to me. I read somewhere that there place is actually for growing grapes?!

Also, the father works for the county/state (?)... not sure what he does, but it doesn't say he's a farmer.
    I think the wife is a substitute teacher, or teacher (?).. but it doesn't list her as a homemaker/farmer's wife/farmer.

So the whole debate about the girls working on a farm for a living is a crock. They are actually there like relatives...and they're being sent out to do "work" in town or at random farms.

Anyone know anything about where they are LIVING?
    yes, this is a working operating farm and the production crew opted to make it look otherwise. For people who do not think farming includes the radising of any agricultural product, I suggest you come to Altus and see how farming acutally works.

+ Reply to Thread