+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sports Illustrated: Swimsuit Model Search VS America's Next Top Model

Couture Connoisseur
    Woah woah woah. I don't know you, but I don't think you are anyone to knock Ms.Banks.
    She's pretty over the hill now, for a model, and if she's still booking jobs, good on her. She sings, she dances, she acts, she models, and for you to say she dosen't know anything about the industry is ludacris. Janice Dickinson is a bestselling author, due to her memoirs on her life of modelling. She's respected by a lot of top designers, and I believe she still does some novelty runway work. So boo! Although I've come to detest Nigel, he's still a noted fashion photographer, and it's good to have his input there as well. Not to mention they had the fashion editors of magazines as judges aswell. They don't just hire people for the job of fashion editor of a magazine for nothing... they obviously knew what they were doing when they got the job, so I belive their input is crucial.

Now that i've defended the judges lets look at the modeling aspects. SI is a joke compared to ANTM. NEXT model management certainly is a joke to the representation most of the Top Model allumni have received. The one million dollar contract is nice though, especially for only 5 photoshoots to judge a winner on. I think the SI representives are off their rockers honestly... If I was a casting director, i'd want to see 20, if not more flawless photographs... and 5? please. The runway show was sick... I'm a huge fan of runway, and I find men (like myself) who are into runway are gung ho about it, and notice every flaw a model makes. So I was very excited to see the runway show, especially after showing the girls do runway in the first episode (where they rocked it) I have to say, I was horribly dissappointed. They didn't even wear heels, and the whole runway idea was a horrible ripoff of the Manhunt runway episode (which was equally as mortifying), with the idea of putting a runway on water.

I like the show and everything, but it's so... It's such a game show, it really is. They take a bunch of girls who are basically all perfect model perportions and put them in pointless competitions (like beach vollyball and surfing) to see which ones will last the longest. the girl who's lucky enough to make it to the final episode and show enough clevage to reel in a good vote wins? pathetic. SI dosen't even compare to Top Model.

And with that said, I have to admit I do love both shows, and SI is a respected magazine.

_si_ is to modeling as is _hustler_ is to literature.

Quote Originally Posted by saab9x
    !!
    Last edited by bhanson2004; 01-27-2005 at 10:36 PM.

i disagree with that completely. look at the caliber of models that SI uses for its swimsuit editions. they are indeed the top models of the world, for the most part. they do not only swimsuits, but also high fashion.

brigette hall
    carolyn murphy
    christie brinkley
    cheryl tiegs
    cindy crawford
    daniela pestova
    elle macpherson
    eva herzigova
    heidi klum
    isabeli fontana
    karen mulder
    kathy ireland
    laetitia casta
    molly sims
    naomi campbell
    niki taylor
    paulina porizkova
    petra nemcova
    rachael hunter
    stephanie seymour
    tyra banks
    rebecca romijn
    vendela

some top models that have been in si in the last decade... just to name a few.
    Last edited by sher; 01-28-2005 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivican
    I like the show and everything, but it's so... It's such a game show, it really is. They take a bunch of girls who are basically all perfect model perportions and put them in pointless competitions (like beach vollyball and surfing) to see which ones will last the longest. the girl who's lucky enough to make it to the final episode and show enough clevage to reel in a good vote wins? pathetic. SI dosen't even compare to Top Model.
    Agreed. Prizes or judges aside, the fundamental differneces between these two shows is the content. ANTM has the girls participating in many facets involved in the life of a top model. They also meet with many industry people, and learn real modeling skills. The judges and us are able to see the girls in many different real world situations and can see how they respond to training and criticism. The SI show always has the girls doing stupid tricks.. like "surfing".. that really isn't surfing at all but "paddling." The point of these gimics is nil.. it doesn't show you anything about who is a better model.. only who is better at jumping jacks or paddling a surfboard. The SI show really just puts the girls in front of the camea and then deliberates on whose pics are better. The judges' criticism is always the same, and they never learn any new skills.

I feel that the girls chosen for ANTM are much more pretty and more sophisticated. You rarely see a bunch of silicone and bleached hair in ANTM.

I watch the show, and it is not the worst show in the world - but I do think that ANTM has the edge here..

At least SI is better than Manhunt! Did anyone watch that?
    I lost 155 pounds in 3 weeks, and I'm ecstatic .. Ride the Snake!

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyTango
    Agreed. Prizes or judges aside, the fundamental differneces between these two shows is the content.
    I don't really see a problem with the differences. This is the *Sports* Illustrated *Swimsuit Model* Search. So I see nothing wrong with having the competition divided between a *sports* related competition and a *swimsuit model* competition. The way I see it, both ANTM and SI Swimsuit Search has appropriate content for their respective shows. They're not suppose to be the same.

Regarding your comment on the fake boobs, I agree. I don't like seeing them in these modeling competitions. But at least the final 3 are all naturally endowed.

IMO the models on Sports Illustrated: Swimsuit Model are much more capable than the models on ANTM. But that's because the girls on ANTM aren't really models. ANTM sometimes chooses eliminates candidates based on their personality (bitchy or not, respectful or not etc): for example, I thought Elyse should have won in season 1 based on her photos & performance but was dropped because of her attitude. SI eliminates candidates solely based on their pictures, which to me makes more sense. When a potential buyer looks at a picture of a model in a magazine or an ad etc, they won't know whether the woman they are looking at is nice or not nice. They will buy based solely on how the product looks on the model. The condidate who takes the best photos, regardless of their personality, should win.
    Having said that, I still like ANTM better than SI because of the drama. SI is bland and uninteresting and its portrayal of the models don't make me feel like caring about any of them. The models on SI are much more professional, which does not make good reality T.V entertainment.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by saab9x
    Actually, SI is to a modelling career as is a Pulitzer to a career in literature.

Quote Originally Posted by sher
    i disagree with that completely. look at the caliber of models that SI uses for its swimsuit editions. they are indeed the top models of the world, for the most part. they do not only swimsuits, but also high fashion.

I agree completely that Sports Illustrated has launched many top model's careers. I have nothing against REAL SI models, but the girls on the model search are very sub-par IMO. Could you imagine the likes of Krisi or Stacey doing higher fashion? The idea is laughable! The girls selected for this competition appear to have been selected solely for swimsuit modeling. However lucrative that branch of modeling is, it is far less tastless and artistic. (IMHO )

Aside from the models, the show itself is very lack-luster; the photo shoots themselves often have terrible lighting, and the end result comes of looking very unprofessional.

hm.. I still think America's Next Top Model is still a better show. And not because of how popular it became.
    I think it is better for the judges NOT to see the photoshoot. Sure they do see it sometimes.
    But with SI, its like they talk and give feedback. Which is basically useless or all equals to Janice dickenson in the deliberation room.
    And i do think there is a little more bias when they are present during the photoshoot. meaning they get favourites and etc.
    hm.. but sometimes being present can be a good thing. But not everytime.
    And for me, it seems SI is only looking for one type of model.
    I think they attempted to throw high fashion in there.
    But America's Next Top Model covers different varieties of Fashion.
    They even throw in different cultures as well.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast