+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Camila Alves - Host

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Re: Camila Alves - Host

This season on Shear Genius has changed my mind about one thing. I didn't think the host/hostess of most of these shows was really that important. I was ambivalent about Jaclyn Smith.

But Camila has convinced me of one thing: if she's the hostess of the next season of this show, I won't be watching it. She sounds like she has a combination of a heavy accent, a speech impediment, and a mouth full of marbles. Maybe if she laid off the botox on the lips it would help, but I doubt it.
    Warning . . . I have a black belt in Facebook, and I'm not afraid to use it!

She's horrible. You can't understand a word she says.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChelsieFan;3873147;
    What's even more amazing is that she has lived in the United States since she was 15 - nearly half her life. I've known many people who immigrated that young, and they have nearly no accent at all. I just don't get it.

Regardless, it makes no sense to me that she landed a cushy job as a TV hostess when her speech is unintelligible. She or Matthew must have dirty pictures of somebody on the production staff.
    Warning . . . I have a black belt in Facebook, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian;3873481;
    What's even more amazing is that she has lived in the United States since she was 15 - nearly half her life. I've known many people who immigrated that young, and they have nearly no accent at all. I just don't get it.
    Actually that's not that hard to believe. My mother has been here since she was 14 and is now in her early 60's and still has a very heavy accent. However. That is because she has stayed in her "community" and spends many hours a day speaking her native language and that is why she hasn't lost her accent. My grandparents (father's side) are the same way, they've been here for decades and they still have heavy accents and for the same reason. They speak their old language for hours every day.

They aren't spokespeople though and Camila should have been sent to a speech couch. My mother sent my brothers and myself to one when we were young and now none of us have accents because she wanted to make sure we could speak clearly (unlike her).

For me, it's never been an issue of her accent. I think an accent can be very sexy, it's been the fact that she does not enunciate anything! Her words are mumbled and difficult to understand because she doesn't speak clearly and that is something that a person in her position should be able to do.

Get her to a speech couch or get rid of her because other than her silly little catch phrase "Hair is important" I never understood anything she was saying!

I'm with AZChristian . . .

Pretty or not, if Camila's hosting the next season of this show, I WILL NOT BE WATCHING.

Bravo certainly did her --- OR, MORE IMPORTANTLY, US no favors by bringing her in as hostess.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Glad to know it's not just me.
    I only got through 2 episodes and those were over the weekends when Bravo re-ran them. I just didn't feel they were worthy enough to tape.

I don't think it was the accent as I usually don't have a problem with that.
    It was the poor enunciation and the general feeling that Camila was not really likable in her role. She just didn't seem to connect with the audience and, IMO, a host must always do that.

Bring Back Jaclyn!!
    Last edited by norealityhere; 04-09-2010 at 04:39 PM.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Who is John Galt?

Obviously, Camilla's modeling was for runway or photos and not as a spokes model (at least not in the U.S.). She is very striking looking, has excellent taste in men (Matthew is in my top 10 of sexiest men), and has pretty babies, but not a good choice as a host.

Quote Originally Posted by ChelsieFan;3873147;

I agree - I had to keep reversing my DVR because I didn't know what the heck she was saying half the time. They should let Tabitha do it next year - at least you can understand her when she speaks plus she knows something about hair!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345