+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 5/9/07 - show discussion **spoiler**

5/9/07 - show discussion **spoiler**

Tabatha has the best lines: about Tyson, he's Fig Jam. F*** I'm good just ask me. Also describing Tyson as a little leprachaun.

Still I do think Dr. Boogie should have won the short cut challenge.
    Last edited by ShrinkingViolet; 05-09-2007 at 11:12 PM.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Re: 5/9/07 - show discussion **spoiler**

i agree with you that dr boogie should have won -- though tab's was a good cut -- i really like doc's better .... this challenge looks interesting -- hmmmm some of the guys will be in trouble ...
    Last edited by ShrinkingViolet; 05-09-2007 at 11:26 PM.
    Don't let the fear of striking out hold you back. -Babe Ruth
    I know right from wrong... wrong is the fun one

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Tabitha's plan backfired!! Tyson definitely brought his "A" game and kicked butt!

Tabitha's mohawk reminded me of a psychedelic Sonic The Hedgehog. I didn't care for the gnarliness look of the 'do.

Overall, I thought most of the stylists did very well. Didn't care for the 60s. Didn't like that it was missing that signature teased-up, hairpiece section.
    Last edited by prhoshay; 05-09-2007 at 10:56 PM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

dr boogie is right -- the allure wall of fame -- is your death sentence YIKES!
    Don't let the fear of striking out hold you back. -Babe Ruth
    I know right from wrong... wrong is the fun one

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Definitely prophetic! Her hairstyle was kind of sucky, though. I was thinking more Joan Crawford-ish. Had the style not been so soft, it would have worked better.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

I was disappointed to see Danna go but I knew it the minute I saw her hairdo.

I am a hair stylist and Boogie cannot cut hair well at all. It is neither innovative or logical to cut hair primarily with clippers, EVER. He got lucky on this challenge but he should not have won.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbat;2381014;
    I was disappointed to see Danna go but I knew it the minute I saw her hairdo.

I am a hair stylist and Boogie cannot cut hair well at all. It is neither innovative or logical to cut hair primarily with clippers, EVER. He got lucky on this challenge but he should not have won.

I don't quite understand what happened here. Rene advised the stylists they would be judged by "technical Skills and how closely the style reflects the styles of the areas." Danna's definitely reflected the era - we see/hear a lot of things about the glamour of the 40's - but the 40's was a time of war - Women had to work and work HARD to replace the men who were out in the battle fields. She definitely hit the mark - if they wanted something specific they should have requested "Hollywood Glamour of the 40's"

Now Tyson - yes, it was beautiful - but, that was more 1700's than 1500's. Women did not powder their wigs at that time - the mode was bright red or blond colours often created with various seeds, oils and saffron. If the standards were the "technical Skills and how closely the style reflects the styles of the areas" then Tyson was the weakest link.

As for just BLAH - Ben made the mark however - much like his red carpet creation, this was unruly and not clean. She looked like a coked up and sweaty flapper the morning after.

people forget that the 40's was a time of glamour & film noir. think of hedy lamarr, veronica lake, joan crawford, and barbara stanwick.

a side parted long do a la veronica lake would have been perfect for this challenge. danna should have done more research, in my opinion. but instead she gives us 'rosie the riveter'.
    Eat More Food! Holla, Holla, Holla! - Whitney, C10 Winner & HBIC

Welcome to Hippo Heaven dogabone's Avatar

Just when I was really loving this show, the producers come up with a farce like last night's elimination. The eras were not specific enough, and the stylists seemed to have been penalized for picking the wrong aspect of their "chosen" era.

Case in point: Boogie was given Medieval—a period that extends from the ninth to the beginning of the fourteenth centuries, with changing styles and very wide national variations. Actually, Boogie's look was more Italian Quattrocento (beginning of the Renaissance) than anything Medieval. Think Boticelli and Fra Angelico.

Daisy had Victorian. Victoria was on the throne for 65 years and styles changed every decade. Daisy was channeling 1870s, but what if she had chosen a late 1830s Biedermeier topknot with side "wings"?

Anthony's 1960s could have ranged from early-decade teased bouffant to straight, center-parted hippie hair with bangs well down into the eyes. Danna had the same problem—Rosalind Russell or Rita Hayworth? She may have made the wrong choice, but she wasn't off on the period.

Ben had the most defined era and came very close to hitting it. Tabatha was dead on the mark.

But Tyson? Not Elizabethan by a long shot. The style was more seventeenth-century Restoration, and the powdering was more Georgian.

But here's my real gripe. Almost every one of the stylists and the judges kept referencing more current reproductions of the eras rather than actual historical sources (Cate Blanchett rather than 16th-century oil portraits; Austin Powers rather than Mary Quant; Chicago instead of Clara Bow or Mabel Normand). Stupid, stupid, stupid!
    Last edited by dogabone; 05-10-2007 at 02:56 PM.
    Mother Hubbard
    Queen of the Grammar Hammers

. I totally agree with you dogabone. I told my hubby that each of those eras was so long and that you could really come up with 10 or more different styles for each one.
    Finally, after 22 years I got my honeymoon. Niagara Falls in February. Whats next the beach in December?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast