+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 5/9/07 - show discussion **spoiler**

Re: 5/9/07 - show discussion **spoiler**

Quote Originally Posted by MargoPolo;2385855;
    I would hope that, as professionals of long standing, they WOULD HAVE studied "different periods and hairstyles" -- before and during their careers! Imagine a writer who hasn't read, for example. They all should have been familiar -- without computer research -- with two or three hairstyles from each era.
    My cousin is a hairstylist and beautician. She never was required to study hairstyles from every period. She only slightly knows about a few eras such as the '80s and '60s, but definitely would have had to still do research on most eras. I don't think it is typical for the hair stylists to know the eras or at least much about the eras. I think they did well with what they had to work with--I mean they had an hour total, so basically a few minutes each to get a cursory look.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Would have been nice if each person had been given a laptop to use for that hour.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I think they did well with the time they had. Each person had what, about 5 minutes to go online and do research. They each should have had one hour for research not a few minutes.

I was really sick of the judges on the elimination competition, too. They should have chosen designers or historians if they're going to judge historical styles. The one judge didn't like Tabatha's style because it was so ugly. Punk rock, duh! Punk was supposed to be ugly. That's why they're PUNKS! His panties were in such a twist. Frankly, I wanted to smack him, the same urge that comes over me when I hear a yappy Pomeranian. Frankly, I've wanted to smack most of the judges.

Tyson's hair was completely wrong, as already mentioned several times. I thought Tabatha's and Daisy's were the most accurate. I would have chosen either one of them over Tyson.

Anthony's failure to have a ratted up bump was certainly not an inaccuracy. I was a kid during the 60s, and my mom never did that. She had us all getting the Vidal Sassoon geometric cuts. That to me is much more 60s, with its whole futuristic look, than the long, bumped-up falls. Those were very late 60s into the early 70s. The movie "Hairspray" has great examples of early 60s hair, with the bouffant and the flip at the bottom.

I actually rather liked Boogie's hair, although it the odd row of alternating braids down the middle was ugly. A basic Medieval look would have been two braids. Those braids could be rolled up and netted into place on each side with a small kerchief on top. Otherwise, hair was often completely hidden around the face, under a wimple or cap (think old-school nuns), and in later years the forehead was often plucked, along with the eyebrows, to give a long, clean look.

No, hairstylists don't study previous eras of hair. Styles change, techniques have changed. An art designer, stage designer, someone who has to know historical styles would study it. A lot of those hairstyles were held together with wax and grease. Ick.

The school time required to get a license varies from state to state. It's usually about a year to a year and a half full-time. If you train in a salon, instead of going to school, it's usually twice as long.

I don't know if Tabatha's "80's Punk" was any more "accurate" than the defining phrase "80's punk rock."

The traditional definition of "punk rock" defines a group of bands in the late 1970's. By the time the 80's came around--what had been known as "punk rock" split into two major camps: "new wave" and "hardcore."

And what Tabatha created wasn't accurate for EITHER...

It was an artistic interpretation of the phrase "80's punk rock"--and I thought what she created was probably what the judges had in mind (just as the "40's" look might have been technically accurate for the era but definitely NOT what the judges had in mind)...but I don't think there was any woman calling themselves a "punk" in the 80's who rocked a Day-Glo Neon version of The Exploited-style spikes...

Annabella Lwin meets Cyndi Lauper meets Martin Degville...maybe.

"80's Punk Rock" really looked like Exene Cervenka or Lydia Lunch...but had Tabatha done THAT, they'd have criticized her for not really "getting it."

pg--And no, that Subaru is NOT just like punk rock either--seattle

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by pg13;2400745;
    I don't know if Tabatha's "80's Punk" was any more "accurate" than the defining phrase "80's punk rock."

The traditional definition of "punk rock" defines a group of bands in the late 1970's. By the time the 80's came around--what had been known as "punk rock" split into two major camps: "new wave" and "hardcore."

And what Tabatha created wasn't accurate for EITHER...

It was an artistic interpretation of the phrase "80's punk rock"--and I thought what she created was probably what the judges had in mind (just as the "40's" look might have been technically accurate for the era but definitely NOT what the judges had in mind)...but I don't think there was any woman calling themselves a "punk" in the 80's who rocked a Day-Glo Neon version of The Exploited-style spikes...

Annabella Lwin meets Cyndi Lauper meets Martin Degville...maybe.

"80's Punk Rock" really looked like Exene Cervenka or Lydia Lunch...but had Tabatha done THAT, they'd have criticized her for not really "getting it."

pg--And no, that Subaru is NOT just like punk rock either--seattle
    I lived in London from 1980 through 1982 and I can tell you there were plenty of dayglow mohawks on Kings Road and in the clubs - although you'd see many more Siouxsie or Toyah clones.

I wonder what the judges reaction would have been if she had created something resembling dreadlocks like Ariana Foster of The Slits.

Quote Originally Posted by johncatba;2401381;
    I lived in London from 1980 through 1982 and I can tell you there were plenty of dayglow mohawks on Kings Road and in the clubs - although you'd see many more Siouxsie or Toyah clones.
    Well, I defer to you then, John...since you were there. I can claim to be well versed on the topic (thanks to the magazines I read and the music I listened to), but I didn't make it across the pond until later.

Based on that, I always thought that the "Greetings from London" postcards with the boys sporting the insane beyond Exploited spikes were apocryphal...and years after the fact.

Here in the States, we had our Siouxsie clones as well...but always the "new wave"-era Siouxsie...never the 100 Club era Siouxsie.

And Toyah? Wow...there's an English identifier right there. I doubt there's more than 0.01% of Americans who have ever heard of Toyah.

I bet more here have heard of Nina Hagen.

I still have issues with the term "80's punk" though.

Quote Originally Posted by johncatba;2401381;
    I wonder what the judges reaction would have been if she had created something resembling dreadlocks like Ariana Foster of The Slits.
    Given the time needed to pull that off, I'm sure they would have told her to "Ari Up"...

pg--Bad...bad joke there... You should be adam ant that I never make a joke that bad again.--seattle

PS--Shame the US never really experienced the 80's New Romantic scene full on... I'd have loved to have seen Tabatha recreate a Steve Strange visage--for the amusement of all...

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by pg13;2402487;
    Here in the States, we had our Siouxsie clones as well...but always the "new wave"-era Siouxsie...never the 100 Club era Siouxsie.
    You know... perhaps they should have a Siouxsie challenge. Punk Siouxsie, Goth Siouxsie, Pop Siouxsie and and Floosey Siouxsie. Too bad Tabs is gone, as queen of the tease she would have created a fabulous Goth Siouxsie. <wink!>

Based on that, I always thought that the "Greetings from London" postcards with the boys sporting the insane beyond Exploited spikes were apocryphal...and years after the fact.
    I can't help but remember walking down Kings Road whilst drinking a litre of coke. People stopped and looked at me as if I were a freak yet, there were kids with rainbow hair with matching eyelashes who hardly got noticed.

Given the time needed to pull that off, I'm sure they would have told her to "Ari Up"...

pg--Bad...bad joke there... You should be adam ant that I never make a joke that bad again.--seattle
    Cute! I wish I knew more people who'd get that.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123