Welcome to Hippo Heaven dogabone's Avatar

Re: 5/9/07 - show discussion **spoiler**

What if Daisy had done this?

apolloknot.jpg
    Mother Hubbard
    Queen of the Grammar Hammers

FORT Fogey

Danna's style was not the 40's. She was headed there but totally missed the mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbat;2381813;
    Danna's style was not the 40's. She was headed there but totally missed the mark.
    the stylist that missed the mark is anthony. the missing link in his design was the hairpiece. a wig, fall, or whatever you call that teased added on 60's bump a la 'valley of the dolls'. he should have stepped up his game.
    Eat More Food! Holla, Holla, Holla! - Whitney, C10 Winner & HBIC

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

We need to remember that they had very limited computer time to research their era. I would think that unless they had intensely studied different periods and hair styles, they could not be expected to be held to some of the rigid standards cited in this thread. I thought they did well with what they had to work with. [mod edit]
    Last edited by hepcat; 05-10-2007 at 05:22 PM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

watching the show again -- and i have to say -- that -- dr boggie really should have won the challenge -- i mean they said take him from geek to chic-- and well -- the drs was the most drastic change and really did go to chic ... but i do also agree that the boy needs to use something other than clippers all the darn time LOL -- just my opinion
    Don't let the fear of striking out hold you back. -Babe Ruth
    I know right from wrong... wrong is the fun one

Quote Originally Posted by firechica;2382141;
    but i do also agree that the boy needs to use something other than clippers all the darn time LOL -- just my opinion
    It is better than hedge clippers...
    You've got to kiss a few frogs before you find your prince!

If Dr. Boogie has been proven to be good with the clippers, and is known for the clippers, that equals a trademark that an do nothing but help you. I love the idea, if it really work but, I agree, he also needs to be proficient at using other tools. I love the idea! I say, whatever works! I don't think there is anything worse than seeing the same boring techniques from the majority of stylists you find. I wear a precision haircut that most beauty shops don't do well. I go to a barbershop instead, and they do a lot of clipper work, as you might imagine. They can also use scissors, if you like. I get many compliments on my hair, and only spend about $20 every 4 weeks to get what would cost me $200 in a salon.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Newbie

I would hope that, as professionals of long standing, they WOULD HAVE studied "different periods and hairstyles" -- before and during their careers! Imagine a writer who hasn't read, for example. They all should have been familiar -- without computer research -- with two or three hairstyles from each era.

Quote Originally Posted by MargoPolo;2385855;
    I would hope that, as professionals of long standing, they WOULD HAVE studied "different periods and hairstyles" -- before and during their careers! Imagine a writer who hasn't read, for example. They all should have been familiar -- without computer research -- with two or three hairstyles from each era.
    I hope this isn't taken as disparaging any hairdresser, but it isn't the most academic of trades. I'm sure there are those who are as well-versed as you suggest they should be, and they are probably among the best and most innovative, but my guess is the vast majority of hairdressers are only vaguely aware of hairstyles predating their own education. Their primary professional goal would more likely to stay with trends (or ahead of them if they are really avant garde) rather than looking back hundreds of years.
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

I definitely agree. How long is the training, anyway?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast