+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 5/2 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Welcome to Hippo Heaven dogabone's Avatar

Re: 5/2 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by firechica;2364535;
    ok i figured out what drives me nuts about rene -- that stupid - "shake it" thing he says
    It's not just that he says it; it's how he says it ("shake" sounds like "shague" [rhymes with "vague"]) and how often.

For Gawd's sake, Tim Gunn has never told the models to "make it work"! And "make it work" certainly doesn't have that self-consciously "hip" vibe that "shake it" has.
    Mother Hubbard
    Queen of the Grammar Hammers

Poor Evangelin, you have to be so careful sometimes winning a challenge sets you up for losing the next one. I have seen it happen on Amazing Race, Project Runway, Top Chef. It's almost as if you lose your edge and pow you are out. The hedge clippers were a gimmick, Tabatha and the others were right get on/pass it.

I liked Dr. Boogie's mohawk/mullet but I think he totally lost the theme of the challenge which was a look that can go from day to night. He was very lucky that no one was sent home from the shortcut challenge.

I was not very impressed with the final styles during the hairstyle the only ones that looked elegant and wearable where Daisy's (who won) and the lady who did the dark hair with the 3 layers of curls in the back. Dr. Boogie does talk a good game but is his hair as good as his talking about it??
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by dogabone;2365729;
    It's not just that he says it; it's how he says it ("shake" sounds like "shague" [rhymes with "vague"]) and how often.

For Gawd's sake, Tim Gunn has never told the models to "make it work"! And "make it work" certainly doesn't have that self-consciously "hip" vibe that "shake it" has.
    Remember, he's Dutch and carries a very heavy accent - additionally their (the Dutch) terminology might be a little (a tad?) different than what we're used to hearing in our daily ramblings. "Shake It" and "Hi Hi" might not have the chic of Mister Gunn's "Make it work" - but its kinda sorta refreshingly archaic enough to be charming. No?

Welcome to Hippo Heaven dogabone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johncatba;2365876;
    Remember, he's Dutch and carries a very heavy accent - additionally their (the Dutch) terminology might be a little (a tad?) different than what we're used to hearing in our daily ramblings. "Shake It" and "Hi Hi" might not have the chic of Mister Gunn's "Make it work" - but its kinda sorta refreshingly archaic enough to be charming. No?
    He's Danish, not Dutch.
    Mother Hubbard
    Queen of the Grammar Hammers

My sister is a stylist, and most stylists don't do black/African hair. It's very different, especially the texture. My sister did do a lot of black hair in school, but only because her best friend in beauty school was black. But she hasn't worked on it since then.

There are a number of specialties for black hair, including braiders and loctitions. There are speciality treatments: shampoos, conditioners, perms and straighteners. Most salons are not going to carry all those products, and neighborhood salons aren't going to carry any products that they don't use regularly.

Heavy, black/blue-black, straight Asian hair is different from caucasian hair and requires different treatments to get a similar result, also.

Quote Originally Posted by johncatba;2365876;
    your right NO is correct LOL --

as for the styles lastnight -- i actually liked daisy's - but i have really curly hair -- so maybe i just liked it cause i saw a new way i could wear mine to dress it up a bit --

all in all though - the hair styles did stink -- poor vanessa --
    Don't let the fear of striking out hold you back. -Babe Ruth
    I know right from wrong... wrong is the fun one

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by madeboxer;2365505;
    I guess I am the only one who wasn't very shocked at the elimination. I think Evangelin just took the hedge clipper thing a wee bit too far into the insane zone. Suggesting that she might use them in her shop was a bit over the edge.

Also I have to agree that none of the hairstyles moved me this week. Looking at Vanessa's style and what they came up with was like they did not even look at the picture. She's all about clean smooth styles (exsept the bride of frankenstein fro she had at the golden globes), No one really got it IMO, although Ine got close in hair color and style.

I also had a problem with a professional hairdresser stating that he have never styled Black hair. As a professional stylist, one should be proficient in all types of hair.

I also could not see how Dr. Boogie's styles showed any red carpet flair although he explained it eloquently.

Mohawk Guy's style was just a HOT MESS!!!

I didn't find that at all shocking or uncommon.. but then again I grew up with a Hairdresser and I went to school to get my Esthetician license. You work with what you get.. and if you've never had an African-American walk in to your school or Salon, you wouldn't ever get to work with their hair. Just because you are a 'professional stylist' doesn't mean that you have worked with all hair. Heck not all professional stylists even do all hair services.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by dogabone;2366007;
    He's Danish, not Dutch.
    YIKES! You're right - mind was thinking Dane... fingers decided to do it on their own.

None of the styles were that great. I was rather disappointed. Danna really did do the best. I was surprised that Tabatha and Anthony didn't do that great. As for Ben, I was shocked that a guy who is from Chicago and been a hairstylist for 14 years has never done hair of a black person. With Chicago, I just don't see how it is possible to go without getting at least a little exposure to that type of hair. I do see he is based in Indiana now, which if he got his experience, there then it is possible, because there are quite a few places in Indiana where you see maybe one family that is black in a town. Evangeline went to the point of insanity with those hedgeclippers. To actually consider using them after that challenge was just nuts.

As for the 'black hair" issue, many women of color will ask a stylist if they do black hair. If they are honest and say they are not very familiar with that hair type, they usually run like the wind. A person can do some serious damage to person of color's hair if they don't know what they are doing. Sometimes a stylist just can't find someone who is willing to take the chance of letting them learn on their heads.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast