+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4/11 Discussion Thread

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

4/11 Discussion Thread

It's technically 4/12 when I'm posting this, so I'm guessing viewers were tuned in elsewhere tonight. After the disappointing Top Chef, I was fairly pleasantly surprised with Shear Genius. It has more of the same feel as Project Runway and Top Chef and right now the contestants seem fairly interesting. Of course, I'll probably be annoyed with over half of them two weeks on, but so far, so good. The only thing that annoyed me really was the "mentor" type guy in the salon room while the contestants were working. He really does need to calm down a bit, lest he get poked with scissors. I can't really disagree with their choice for elimination, but I wanted the young blonde girl to go; she was the most dull. The treasure chest hair winning was O.K. but I liked the Marie Antoinette 'do better.

And the judge rockin' the Chrissie Hynde style really ought to get a better publicist. If she's famous for being responsible for the Meg Ryan shag, she ought to know better than admit it.

Re: 4/11 Discussion Thread

For whatever reason, my DVR cut off the last few minutes. Who was sent home?

I really like this show so far! Lots of bitchery just as expected. I agree that the treasure chest was good but not that good. I prefered the feather mohawk.

And oh my, I know this is inappropriate, but Tabatha.... good Lord, I just don't know how to put it. She's a tough one to look at.

ETA: Oh, Paul Jean is gone. Oh well... he was kind of annoying and arrogant, but I guess I was dead wrong about him going far in the competition.
    Last edited by corprip; 04-12-2007 at 02:36 AM.
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

I love Ruben and the FORT 702loves205's Avatar

Where is everybody???

I was pleasantly surprised by tonight's show. I enjoyed the format and the contestants. My early favorite is Dr. Boogie.

I especially liked how they ranked each stylist from 1 to 12 (1 being the best, 12 the worst) after the first challenge. In the 1st hair cutting competition I ranked Paul Jean and Dr. Boogie as my personal first and second place respectively (they actually were ranked 3rd and 4th on the show).

The next challenge was hair art. Tabatha truly redeemed herself after coming in last place in the 1st contest. Her use of the feathers creatively stunning. Dr. Boogie's flower design was beautiful something I could see myself flaunting at a party. But, I thought Daisy rocked it. I chose her as tonight's winner. The wedding veil 'do was imaginative. Even though the judges didn't really like the rhinestones, they were my favorite part. Simply fabulous. Theodore actually won. His treasure chest was unique, but I thought the overall design was kind of boring until his model "popped" the lid open.

I thought Lacey's and Paul Jean's hairstyles were both hideous and horrific. But, I would have sent Lacey home instead Paul Jean. Even though Paul Jean was a total diva he does possess some promise whereas Lacey was simply too negative and her design was a mess.

I'm looking forward to next week's show.
    To be a champion, you have to believe in yourself when nobody else will.
    -- Sugar Ray Robinson

I know what it means to fly without wings!!!

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.

I guess I'm a ready to wear sort of hairstyle gal. Watching the judging, all I could think about was how those poor models were going to get their hair back to normal.

Why does Jacklyn Smith speak so slowly?

I thought the show was fun. I was sad to see Paul Jean go, only because I really liked his do for the short cut. It showed promise. He was spot on about none of his clients actually wanting any of that hair art, so he wasn't sad he couldn't do it well. Good for him that he knows what he's good at and doesn't need the show to tell him if he's good or not. I was a bit surprised by the elimination as I would have thought that being 2nd to last in the short cut and then ending up in the bottom three would have been a kiss of death. What do I know. Paul Jean being in the top three and being eliminated was surprising. I just wanted to see more of those fabulous do's.

I'm not a fan of hair art apparently, but I'll keep watching to see what else they challenge them with.

While I love Project Runway, I was dubious about Top Chef but ended up loving season 1. I put up with TLC's Design Star, which rather cheapy and lame actually produced David Bromstead and his show Color Splash which is quite good, another surprise. But I was waiting for Bravo's Top Design figuring it would be so but better then Design Star. Top Design never quite got the right mix and I made the decision not to watch Shear Genius, figuring it had to be worse then Top Design. Well fortunately, I messed up my programming and watched the several minutes of the intro and it grabbed me. Jacklyn Smith what is she doing here. You can feel the vibrance and the chemistry of the judges, host and mentor and of course the brilliant casting of the competitors. Tabatha, named after a witch. How appropriate. Paul Jean, oh how I wish he could have stayed. The pissing matches between him and Renee would have been priceless. At it is his confessionals were very memorable. Truly delicious. Dr. Boogie, ain't gay, one of the first things he asks of Renee is to twist his nipples. I must say Renee handled that beautifully. This episode had nice pacing, mood, tension and interesting characters. I liked the judges deliberation and it was nice to hear them review all the contestents. This is how Top Design should have been and was not. This show was a pleasant surprise and I will watch it, just to see the great personalities and enormous egos. That is what makes it so much fun.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Silent Lover To All TymeMarteen's Avatar

i really liked the show. it was cool. lacey has been on something before though, a tv show of some sort because i instantly recognized her but can't place her face with said program. someone figure it out for me. tabatha looks like mirage from the incredibles, the disney movie. i am in love with theodore <3 :]

This show turned out to be better than I expected (which was for it to be as bad or worse than Top Design). These people are nicely bitchy, so that will make it fun. I am still amazed that Dr. Boogie is straight--he kept saying things and doing things that made me just think, "Did I really hear him say he wasn't gay???" I think the blond girl should have gone--she was the bottom twice, so that made no sense to me, since I thought they saw what talent you had in the short cut--and she didn't show any then. Paul Jean's hair art was horrible, but he obviously can do good in other things, so he should have stayed. He was arrogant, but he would have been fun to watch. As for the winner--I would have picked Tabatha or even the girl who did the Marie Antoinette style. TAbatha really redeemed herself. I didn't agree with the treasure box guy winning--okay the idea was fun, but it was still a box on someone's head. So it should be interesting. I wonder if this will be another reality show that we see Jonathan Antin on--let's see he's already been on his Blow Out, Workout, PCD, so he is destined to make an appearance on this one, I'm sure.

I don't believe for a minute that Dr. Boogie is not gay. I'm going to have to replay that portion to hear exactly what he was saying, because he is totally infatuated with Rene, and not in a straight crush way.
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by corprip;2327508;
    I don't believe for a minute that Dr. Boogie is not gay. I'm going to have to replay that portion to hear exactly what he was saying, because he is totally infatuated with Rene, and not in a straight crush way.

I was sad to see that guy go. He would have brought drama. Boogie not gay? And I'm a 6 foot tall 25 year old blonde (yeah right)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast