+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: 7/18 Finale Discussion Thread *Spoilers*

I stopped watching this show about halfway through and wouldn't even bother to start another one, if they have one. It was too obvious just how biased the judges were. It scares me to think that jerks like that can decide a kids fate.

I didnt like how all of them named all these "famous" people that were all smart or political people. That makes me sick that they would name all these people. I cant stand overly smart people. I liked Lizz's answer the best, I think it was the most honest.

How many 17-18 yr. olds would want to meet those people. I would say like Tyra Banks or Kate Moss for God's sakes.

I agree. Liz got shafted because she was honest. Plato? Jesus? All a bunch of tripe BS if you ask me. Melissa especially. Everything that came out of that girl's mouth was straight out of a "how to write an effective college application essay" book. Inspirational? No. Textbook "holier than thou" material? Yes.

One trick pony might be THE most insulting thing ever said on the whole show. If it weren't for the so-called "one trick ponies" we wouldn't have people like Mozart, Shakespeare and Stephen Hawking. Did they listen to themselves?! "This girl does stem cell research... but... that's all she does. So it's not that impressive." WHAT?! The girl is like 17? AND THEY ARE USING HER IDEAS for CANCER RESEARCH! Holy crap.

Worst judges ever. Especially the one that speaks really slowly and kinda looks like Al Sharpton. So condescending. SPEAK THE HELL FASTER you IDIOT! The white dude is just totally biased and borderline racist if you ask me. The female black judge was backing melissa and amari the whole damn competition. Not saying anything, but just

I'm still a bit revulsed at Melissa winning. That tripe she spewed actually convinced the judges. Tells you a lot about who does college selections, doesn't it?

Best speech of the finals? Toss up between Liz (for Amari) and Amari herself. Milana sounded like a robot reading off a well written but emotionless speech. Melissa, as I said, was pure BS; "straight from the heart"? I don't think so. She timed each tear, huff, sigh and sniffle down to the second. Scot... ugh, way too "cheesy inspirational speaker". Jeremy's speaking skills are really exagerrated... overdoes what a good speaker would do.

Amari was quirky and natural. She actually sounded like she w as talking to us. Liz was also very natural. I don't look for content as much as I do delivery and these two knocked it out of the park.

Oh, one last thing. I find it hard to understand why no one even considered Davis to be their speaker. Sure they weren't really close to him, but they must have realized he's the best natural speaker by leaps and bounds.

I hate Davis but if I had to choose an advocate, I'd snap him up in a second. By FAR the best and most confident public speaker and you know with his ego, he'd try the hardest for you. He's way to competitive and he would have treated it as if it were a personal contest for him.

The only downside to choosing Davis is that the judges hate him too. So maybe the kids thought of that... maybe.

Best teacher advocate? Melissa's no doubt. That last sentence was pure genius. It pains me to know that the best teacher advocate went to the girl who I didn't want to win. Scot's mentor was incomprehensible and Amari's was a bit dull.

I doubt he will ever be president

Ok, folks!!! Why do you guys hate Melissa so much? In the beginning, you guys liked her (espically at the fact that she beat Davis)! I've read all the posts about Melissa and you guys now say she is fake and has had an attitude adjustment! What exactly has Melissa done to deserve this? When I watched Melissa throughout the series, I saw a strong & determined woman who would do anything to win!!!

And what about this "from the heart" speech? How do you know it was fake? Where you there? Although I admit, after Amari worked so hard to make the final 5, I wanted her to win. Melissa paled in comparsion, but I still think she deserved to win.
    Get Fantasia's self titled CD, in stores now!!!

Quote Originally Posted by E-Daddy
    Ok, folks!!! Why do you guys hate Melissa so much? In the beginning, you guys liked her (espically at the fact that she beat Davis)! I've read all the posts about Melissa and you guys now say she is fake and has had an attitude adjustment! What exactly has Melissa done to deserve this? When I watched Melissa throughout the series, I saw a strong & determined woman who would do anything to win!!!

And what about this "from the heart" speech? How do you know it was fake? Where you there? Although I admit, after Amari worked so hard to make the final 5, I wanted her to win. Melissa paled in comparsion, but I still think she deserved to win.
    I liked Melissa until the "Max" factor took over. That whole situation painted her in a poor light. Hearing that academically she was below the other finalist didn't help. As far as her being fake goes... I don't have to smell s*** to know when someone is full of it.

Quote Originally Posted by dberk
    I liked Melissa until the "Max" factor took over. That whole situation painted her in a poor light. Hearing that academically she was below the other finalist didn't help. As far as her being fake goes... I don't have to smell s*** to know when someone is full of it.
    Ah, I see. I didn't pay attention to Melissa/Max scene in Episode 3 -- it was a waste of time and I wanted to see if Amari would get one of the final spots. As for Episode 4, I thought she did the right thing, standing up to Max, unless I'm missing something here...
    Get Fantasia's self titled CD, in stores now!!!

FORT Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by PWS
    And any good Ph.D. program pays your tuition and gives you something to live on, usually for being a teaching assistant. Not usually a lot of cash...between 10 and 20 grand depending on field and school... but usually enough so you can get by if you share housing with other students, etc.
    Unfortunately, not necessarily so. There are top 5 programs in some fields that do not offer assistantships.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by boxhill
    Unfortunately, not necessarily so. There are top 5 programs in some fields that do not offer assistantships.
    Really? What fields are those? The ones I know about all do, but I'm sure I don't know them all.

+ Reply to Thread