+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: 7/18 Finale Discussion Thread *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by William13
    I was rather disappointed that the final came down to something as subjective as answering questions and giving speeches. The problem that I have is that it was so subjective. The scholarship committee may have been real admissions officers, but I was never impressed by them.

I was hoping that Milana would win, but I thought that Melissa was a good choice.

The very moment that the question of who in history would you like to meet was asked I thought of Jesus for exactly the reasons that Scot said. But I thought that his answer about human laziness was rather bizarre. I thought that his final speech was just arrogant, something worthy of Davis. I know that the whole point was to sell yourself, but I found that way he described himself as the one who could make the most difference was not convincing.

Despite being intelligent and personable I was never able to warm up to Amari for some reason.

I hope that if there is a second season of this show that they pace it better.
    Good points William13.

The 5 finalists used their knowledge to get to the finals and at that point I think they were being tested on the intangibles. If measured intelligence was of primary importance, that makes one more reason why Melissa shouldn't have won. In addition to quick thinking, I think they were looking for pose, self-confidence and depth of character (just one more reason...). As real admissions officers they should have been more perceptive in this subjective challenge and recognized (for example) that Melissa's answers were pure BS.

I like Milana too and resented the "one trick pony" comment that was made. That's like saying if someone devotes their life to one goal and makes a huge contribution to the world (ex: finding a cure for cancer) it's insignificant, because it is afterall only one contribution instead of several.

When Scott mentioned "human laziness" I understood that to mean "apathy" not "couchpotatoism" and I agree with him. Apathy leads to a low voter turnout. Apathetic people simply exist rather than live their lives to be contributing members of society. How many times do people respond to social issues by saying "That's not MY problem."? I'll get off my soapbox now, but I hope I made my point better than Scott did. Scott was my favorite, but I too found his final speech cringeworthy and yet two of his fellow contestants commented on how it inspired them.

Agree with what you said about Amari. I tensed up each time she was featured.

This show seemed popular enough to warrant another season. When/if it returns I would like to see (1) a new host (2) less contrived drama (3) no dancing (4) no annoying dramatic pauses.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by dberk
    Good points William13.

I like Milana too and resented the "one trick pony" comment that was made. That's like saying if someone devotes their life to one goal and makes a huge contribution to the world (ex: finding a cure for cancer) it's insignificant, because it is afterall only one contribution instead of several.
    Excellent point.

FORT Fogey
    I'm so upset Amari didn't win! Oh well!

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    I wish I had watched this show...I only caught the finale....I was pulling for Amari to win...I liked the fact she seemed down to Earth and more "real"....did this show get good enough ratings to where it will be brought back for a 2nd season? Hope so...I'll have to make a concentrated effort to watch it next time if it does....
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama
    I wish I had watched this show...I only caught the finale....I was pulling for Amari to win...I liked the fact she seemed down to Earth and more "real"....did this show get good enough ratings to where it will be brought back for a 2nd season? Hope so...I'll have to make a concentrated effort to watch it next time if it does....
    Unfortantely, the show had poor ratings, which is a crying shame, because this is quality TV!
    Get Fantasia's self titled CD, in stores now!!!

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    I've made a convert of my sig. other if there is a 2nd season, just by describing the show over dinner last night--and my S.O. is someone who NEVER watches reality TV, disdains it.

I still maintain that a 2nd season of this show should focus on existing college students who are trying to go to grad school/law school/med school. If you thought Davis could be cocky, some of my peers are even worse ... and I go to a state university, not even a really great private college!

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder
    No, the first woman was Gertrude Ederle, in 1926.
    You're right Newfie and I should have checked before posting. Penny actually broke the world record for the Channel crossing - the record for BOTH men and women. Her time was over 1 hour less than the previous record and her record held until the mid-90's. Sorry for the mistake!

Penny is currently a coach at Pomona. Pomona was also home to the San Antonio Spurs coach Gregg Popovich before he left college coaching for the NBA.

Thanks to everyone who posted the info on Pomona College. I live in LA & was thinking, do they mean Cal Poly Pomona??? I'll have to look up where Pomona College is.

I never realized how many fans Amari had. I was never that impressed with her. Personally I thought Milana would win. I was ROFL when Davis was still there, whining about his wrong answer!!! What a dork, I hope I don't run into him anywhere in Los Angeles!
    Phil: Claire likes to say "You can be part of the problem, or part of the solution." But I happen to believe you can be both. Modern Family

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Pomona's in Claremont, CA. Near Pomona but not in it--confusing, I know.

If they did a version for grad school, med school, law school, they'd have to use people who wanted to go to Ph.D. programs to make the students comparable academically to the pre law, pre med people, I'd think. And any good Ph.D. program pays your tuition and gives you something to live on, usually for being a teaching assistant. Not usually a lot of cash...between 10 and 20 grand depending on field and school... but usually enough so you can get by if you share housing with other students, etc. So then you'd be left with pre law, pre meds. And maybe the occasional 4.0 who wanted to do something where the usual degree is a Masters, like social work, since MA programs don't usually provide support.
    Somehow I don't think the audience would work up the same empathy for future lawyers as for these kids. On the other hand you would get more drama...and if not you could always add booze, which you can't here. I kind of like the high school approach as you can see.
    Last edited by PWS; 07-21-2005 at 07:48 AM.

+ Reply to Thread