+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 7/11 Show Discussion Thread *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by Saige
    This show seemed pretty rigged to me. Seemed the younger judge pulled for Liz until she was in, and the other two definitely favored Amari and probably will vote her the win. What did she do tonight to deserve being in the showdown but stutter her words? Why Davis would want to be in the finals other than the 50,000 is beyond me cause even if he was best they never would have voted for him anyway. If Liz or Amari wins Blech Scott would be my choice, but yeah right.
    As I said, I will be surprised if Amari doesn't win. Not because she should win, or is the best kid to win, but because the judges will do everything that they can to give it to her. It certainly doesn't seem fair, but then who ever said that life is fair?

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner
    Davis was a victim of his own hubris. Rob clearly said which two presidents were assassinated in the 20th Century. When Davis answered with the two 19th Century assassinees, Rob asked him if he was sure. Instead of asking to rehear the question, Davis said yes he was sure.
    What a dolt! I guess arrogance is a drink best served in the 19th Century. How on earth does this jerk think he will be elected President of the US.

Forshadowing is the inside joke of the reality TV world.

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mariner
    Davis was a victim of his own hubris. Rob clearly said which two presidents were assassinated in the 20th Century. When Davis answered with the two 19th Century assassinees, Rob asked him if he was sure. Instead of asking to rehear the question, Davis said yes he was sure.
    Yup! Over-cockiness will get you every time. I'm thinking that as soon as Rob said "20th century" Davis in his mind said "1900's" and then quickly answered 19th century instead of 1900's. His attitude is why he lost, proving it doesn't matter how smart you are!

Amari!! I'm rooting for Amari or Scot to win the whole shebang.

I've enjoyed the show a lot and so glad they didn't vote each other out. I like how the judges had a big say in it.

CCL
    I missed the preview for next week. What did they show? Please and thank you.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Yeah Amari! I like her, and am rooting for her or Scott. I was also amazed when the the host asked Davis if that was his answer, that he didn't ask to have the question repeated.

I'm happy with the finals.

ITA about the 20th century --> 1900 --> 19th century flawed thought process. I did feel kind of bad for him though because it must be so embarassing to be the out and out favourite for this challenge and then lose on such a stupid mistake.

I know it seemed like the judges liked Amari, but I was under the impression the judges had nothing to do with the design of the actual competitions and challenges. Given that, I thought the whole episode was geared towards handing Davis the win on an engraved silver platter. Even Davis himself said it. Everything just fell in place way too easy for him: the debate, the topic, the final challenge. That's like having a cancer charity fundraiser as a challenge, with a stem cell based showdown given to Milana.

And I don't care what anyone says, but those kids were NOT very good public speakers. Davis was the only one who spoke with any skill and didn't seem to be reading straight from his cue cards. Both Gerald and Max just plain stank. STANK. Alyssa was meh... not bad, but notoutstanding. Amari stumbled and said "I'm Sorry"... in a debate... ugh. I was more than annoyed with Jeremy's "oh my god, this goes against my every fiber" ... just shut it. I didn't really like Jeremy's speakings skills much either, but against the other 4, he looked alright.

Having said that, I would have put Jeremy and Amari in the finals. Alyssa in the showdown was such a crock. They only put her there out of supposed fairness and because they felt bad. Or because the network decided that screwing her over on national TV wasn't appropriate. If they were going to do that, they should have done it last week, giving them the chance this week to put up the three who REALLY deserved to go up: Davis, Jeremy and Amari.

I hate Davis, but he should have won that showdown. It's a good thing I like Amari.

I hope either Scot, Amari or Liz wins. If Milana or Melissa wins, I will consider gouging my eyes out. Can't stand Melissa especially. UGH.

Though in defence of Davis, I have to say that his cross-examination of Amari during the debate was almost painful to watch. For her, not for him. He was really laying it on thick. He'd make a good attorney, but a good president, maybe notsomuch.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL
    I missed the preview for next week. What did they show? Please and thank you.
    What they showed made it look like the Scholarship Committee decides the winner. There wasn't much to the preview though.

CCL
    Ok, thanks Mariner.

I don't have any sympathy for Davis re: 20th/19th century. He should have listened more carefully. He could have asked for the question to be repeated (the moderator practically begged him to reconsider his answer). It is like when you take a test - if you read the answer wrong, and answer incorrectly, it is your fault and the teacher is not going to give you any marks. Fair enough. And Davis felt that every challenge showdown he went to was an easy win for him - Oh, literature, I know everything while these other people have to study. History? My specialty. I'll easily win. Presidents? I am the master. The others will lose, no question. - He was so dismissive of his other competitors and, time and again, it came back to bite him in the butt. I did feel a twinge for him when he was sitting in the audience after being eliminated - he looked so shocked. But that twinge soon passed.

I really don't want Melissa to win. She just rubs me the wrong way. I'd like Milana or Liz to win. But if Amari or Scott win that is fine, too.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

FORT Fogey
    Sir Bitter - I thought these kids did an amazing job with public speaking considering that they only had ONE hour to prepare (both as a team and their own remarks), and that there was so much on the line (one out of 6 is an automatic bid to the showdown). The con team especially, given that there weren't any folks who truly felt the negative opinion (there are enough in America who do)...that was a much harder viewpoint to research, write and defend in the 1 hour allotment.

I like Melissa, mostly because she never did give up in any of the challenges eventhough she was already "in" the finals. Many others might have coasted. But in all, I like all the finalists. I'd guess that Liz, Melissa or Amari might win.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast