+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: 6/20 Show Discussion Thread *Spoilers*

Nobody who isn't gifted is going to accomplish what these kids have. You don't get 1550 or 1530 on your SATs even in these days of inflated numbers without being an incredibly gifted student. ABC isn't dumb. They chose the most charismatic applicants they got. No one would want to watch the kids spend the evening trying to see who could write the best software program or reading War And Peace from cover to cover. One thing that is annoying me is that the last two weeks the hometown videos they have shown have been of two of the three to make the final challenge. By the time they had showed Milana and Amari's videos, I knew the two of them were in the Admissions Showdown.

I thought the funniest thing about last night's show was the look on Jeremy's face when Melissa said that initially she was attracted to him. I'm guessing not a lot of girls at his high school flirt with him. I did notice him dancing with her.

aww i only caught the last half so i missed the slumber party :-(

I agree the kids shocked me with their dancing. I thought only us dumb slutty people danced like that :-(. It's basically dry sex :-(

Don't worry black, no one danced like that at my HS prom. It might be a college thing. Idk, maybe it was because they were unchaparoned (sp?).

Oh and am i the only one who didn't study African Geography in ANY grade? I went from k-12 not knowing anything about Africa.

Quote Originally Posted by bebewood
    I agree the kids shocked me with their dancing. I thought only us dumb slutty people danced like that :-(. It's basically dry sex :-(

Oh and am i the only one who didn't study African Geography in ANY grade? I went from k-12 not knowing anything about Africa.
    Well it's not American Bandstand, but I've seen this kind of dancing on TV too much to be really offended. Maybe we'll see these people dancing in a dive on the Bachelor some day. It's like swearing... enough exposure makes you immuned to the inappropriateness.

I never had African Geography either, but it wouldn't have helped here because there have been so many changes in Africa since I was in school.

I didn't either, or if I did it wasn't much and it was probably way back in 6th grade or something. I graduated from high school in 2002. I went to so many different schools and school systems throughout my life that it's really hard to say what we focused on the most but I would say math was always pretty important, as was reading/interpreting in literature classes (but not grammar ... I had to learn that all in college and it was like trying to drink from a firehose ).

Quote Originally Posted by Positive K
    I didn't either, or if I did it wasn't much and it was probably way back in 6th grade or something. I graduated from high school in 2002. I went to so many different schools and school systems throughout my life that it's really hard to say what we focused on the most but I would say math was always pretty important, as was reading/interpreting in literature classes (but not grammar ... I had to learn that all in college and it was like trying to drink from a firehose ).
    I never understood what made one piece of literature a classic and another one just a book. Grammar should be a high priority in schools. Not speaking or writing well leaves a very negative impression. My son can speak perfect English, but won't because it doesn't mix with his loser friends.

You know I thought I had some African geography in grade school but now that I think about it, it was all in college -- where I learned about Africa, Asia and South America in fact. Sad but there was so much more about history I learned after I graduated high school, the real stuff as opposed to the bland versions for kids.

I didn't so much mind the club scene and not at all surprised, seems like the times. dberk I totally agree with you, besides your looks - what comes out of your mouth is a heavy impression. I guess I understand the youth's point as well but what they don't generally understand is you need to be able to speak (and write) proper english when necessary but if you speak differently with your friends so be it.
    "We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." ~Anais Nin

"Sometimes the heart sees what is invisible to the eye." ~H. Jackson Brown Jr

Quote Originally Posted by AJane
    Heck, I'm a fuddy-duddy, and I didn't see anything wrong with the club scenes or the best-physical-feature game the kids were playing. Just because they're exceptionally bright doesn't mean they shouldn't behave like *normal* teenagers, does it? It's wonderful that they are all so accomplished, but it's perfectly healthy to be attracted to each other and to want to go out dancing.
    I don't care that they did it, I just don't want them to show it on TV! TMI and boring, all at the same time.

I like Milana the best, for some reason, but I missed the first two episodes, so I really shouldn't have an opinion at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by dberk
    Well it's not American Bandstand, but I've seen this kind of dancing on TV too much to be really offended. Maybe we'll see these people dancing in a dive on the Bachelor some day. It's like swearing... enough exposure makes you immuned to the inappropriateness.

I never had African Geography either, but it wouldn't have helped here because there have been so many changes in Africa since I was in school.
    really? i never see this kind of dancing on tv. then again i dont watch much tv

really? i never see this kind of dancing on tv. then again i dont watch much tv
    My friend, you must have missed one of the giants of the reality TV world. On the most recent Bachelor (Hofest 2005) we got a eye and bellyfull of this type of dancing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456