+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 6/20 Show Discussion Thread *Spoilers*

The two I would like to see at the end are Liz, the so-called "dark horse" by the panel (like the way she carries herself) and Jeremy. Milana and Scot were my picks so I'm happy so far.
    "The difference between reality and fiction? Fiction has to make sense."
    Good luck to the Good Guys on the Inferno!

FORT Fogey
    I thought that the geography might be easier than the literature, history or biology, because eventhough they only had a limited amount of study time, no one could benefit from past courses in school, and there were focused items to study - countries, rivers, capitals, etc. as opposed to the wide range of questions that could have been asked in the other topics.

I was glad to see Amari finally do well and feel a little bit better about herself. Don't like to see any of these kids get down on themselves as they all are impressive in their own right.

I was happy that Milana was able to bounced back and win this week, especially after how well she handled not being picked last week by her friend Melissa.

Melissa has really been a standout so far but I was a bit disappointed in her sudden attraction for Max knowing full well that Alyssa and him we already starting something. She seemed to enjoy knowing she was pushing in on someone else's territory. That said I hope the show don't go much further in following this young kiddie love story line.

As the father of 6 kids I was a bit surprised at the crouch grinding dancing these kids were doing. I mean I am not an uptight fuddy duddy (in fact I know did the same at parties around that age), just a bit surprised that ABC showed it. I am glad my wife wasn't watching or else our kids would never get to go to HS dances after seeing that.

Next week previews...it sounds like Melissa is arguing with Max so perhaps the attraction is short lived. I really doubt that Davis tries to cheat but you never know.

FORT Fogey
    Seems this show was designed to catch kids on summer vacation with more time available to watch TV. It is just not catching me at all.

I know! It's kind of embarassing to watch these kids go out to clubs and grind on each other. I know it happens (because I'm not that far out of high school myself ) but I really don't wanna see it. Especially out of a group of really intelligent students. They should stop playing up The Real World love triangle-esque angles and concentrate more on the competition I think.

I am WAY past high school age, and I don't want to see it either. I don't think I'm prudish or fuddy-duddy. I think it's because it seems voyeuristic, especially because we are sitting in our livingrooms, passively watching. If we were actually IN the club, we could watch or not, participate or not, but at least be PART of the moment. I also think that we have "gotten to know" them very slightly, it has more impact than just some anonymous teenagers in a club.

That pajama party game seemed to be instigated by their "housemother" or whatever more palatable title they're using, which I found inappropriate. Bad enough sharing such things with people you just met. Don't share it with the rest of the world! Tell us other things about yourselves, not just how hot or not you find your fellow competitors. Meh!

It seemed that for this final showdown, the questions got harder and harder as they went along. I think that would have happened for the other showdowns also, except they all screwed up before the questions got hard.

Heck, I'm a fuddy-duddy, and I didn't see anything wrong with the club scenes or the best-physical-feature game the kids were playing. Just because they're exceptionally bright doesn't mean they shouldn't behave like *normal* teenagers, does it? It's wonderful that they are all so accomplished, but it's perfectly healthy to be attracted to each other and to want to go out dancing.

My brother was a *gifted* child - he was skipped ahead in school and entered university at 16. It's not easy for exceptional kids to socialize and to find a peer group. I think it's a nice bonus of the show for these kids to have the opportunity to meet and befriend others like themselves.

Personally, I'm far more comfortable seeing some average teenage stuff to balance out the 4.67 GPAs and stem cell research accomplishments.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

FORT Fogey
    I don't think these kids are gifted. They have done very well in high school and have high GPA's. Looks like they know how to socialize just fine! The test questions are not difficult. This show would be pretty dull without the personal relationships.

I didn't really like the dance scenes either, or Max's talking about being undecided about between the two girls. On the other hand it did give a bit of a sense of what these kids are like, beyond just being smart.
    I do like learning about what the contestants lives are like and it was good to see Amari's story. But there was just too much Amari. I was thinking enough already before the show was half over. I really do like the show; it seems more positive than most of the others. However, there seemed to be a lot of filler. Most of the time the confessionals are even more tedious than the commercial breaks. And how many times do we have to be told what each competition is? Tell us once and get on with the competition.
    I was glad to see Milana win. Last week during the dance competition I thought that she was just annoying. This week hearing what she had accomplished in science, I thought that she really deserved something. Why aren't colleges fighting over someone like her?
    Why do they alway show one of the kids phoning home to say that they are in the final quiz, and it's one of the kids that don't win? Is that some kind of mean spirited foreshadowing?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast