+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: 6/13 Show Discussion Thread *Spoilers*

Regarding the extra points on the 4.0 scale for GPA's....in my high school they had dual enrollment courses that were from the local college. If you were in these it would give you an excess of points on your GPA. Not all of the advanced placement classes (AP) were that way, but there were a couple of the dual enrollment ones for the super motivated kids.

Quote Originally Posted by oneTVslave
    I have to say, that aside from Davis, all of these kids are darn likable. I'm really glad Scot made it to the F5. It says alot for his parents' skills in home-schooling.
    I am even more impressed with Melissa after this episode. And, that conversation between Melissa and Milana after Melissa picked Max was way too mature for any reality tv show. Especially, one featuring 17 and 18 year olds.

I had high hopes for an intelligent program that would showcase the abilities of some truly outstanding young scholars. But this show is just a joke!

I haven't studied Biology for over 40 years, but I knew the answers to all of the questions.

Please! How many chambers in the heart? These students should be able to identify and name all four. Dermis and epidermis...and it took a GUESS to get it right? Shameful!

Alex Trebek asks harder questions on Celebrity Jeopardy and the college week Jeopardy questions are much more demanding than this.

I don't fault the kids. They have earned high marks in school and scored very well on the SAT or other tests. But what standards are today's teachers using if you can be at the top of your class and not know the answers to junior high school science answers?

Quote Originally Posted by karen14
    Why did the winner have an extra question?
    Because if he didn't get it right, then Gerald would have stayed in the competition. Like they do at the spelling bees.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Quote Originally Posted by Primetimetommie
    I had high hopes for an intelligent program that would showcase the abilities of some truly outstanding young scholars. But this show is just a joke!

I haven't studied Biology for over 40 years, but I knew the answers to all of the questions.

Please! How many chambers in the heart? These students should be able to identify and name all four. Dermis and epidermis...and it took a GUESS to get it right? Shameful!

Alex Trebek asks harder questions on Celebrity Jeopardy and the college week Jeopardy questions are much more demanding than this.

I don't fault the kids. They have earned high marks in school and scored very well on the SAT or other tests. But what standards are today's teachers using if you can be at the top of your class and not know the answers to junior high school science answers?
    Primetimetommie,

Keep in mind that Max goes to a school that lost it's biology teacher. Did they hire another one? No. They just don't offer biology any more. The questions may seem easy sitting at home, but I am guessing the pressure is excruciating and makes them a 100 times harder if you are a kid competing for a chance to go to the college you can't attend otherwise.

Does anyone know if the kids who don't make it to the final 5 get anything? I would hate to see any of these kids go home empty-handed. They all seem really deserving. I was really happy to see Scot win. He was so genuinely thrilled, it was great to see. His parents should be very proud of him, and themselves for doing such a great job home-schooling him.

I agree. Scot's reaction was so sweet. I'm hoping someone steps up and gives the five who don't make the finals a scholarship. Except for Davis (yeah I'm hoping he doesn't make it). Let Davis experience the joy of enormous student loans.

FORT Regular
    I'm really liking this show so far. I absolutely LOVE Melissa, especially the thoughtful, mature way she went about deciding who to pick and the way she and Milana discussed things.

I'm definitely not a fan of Davis, but I did like that he immediately bought a new card to replace the one he lost. Alyssa puts me off though, I'm not entirely sure why. I like Gerald, I want to see him do well.

Anyone else rather annoyed by Sean (Shawn?) the admissions person? He just strikes me as entirely too in love with his own expertise.

Does anyone think these questons (for the Captain's Quiz and the final one) are ridiculously easy? I got all of them right. For the bio questions, I had the answer before he even finished reading the question. ITA Primetimetommie, they have harder questions on those versions of Jeopardy!

Quote Originally Posted by oneTVslave
    I didn't know that carbs begin to be digested in your mouth. Maybe that is why you get a sense of instant satisfaction from them. Other than that, I believe I knew all of the answers.
    OTiS - the easiest example of this is: put some white bread or a saltine cracker in your mouth and chew it up, but don't swallow. It doesn't take long for it to start tasting sweet because carbs are made up of sugars.

I like Melissa, but if that girl doesn't bring it down a few notches, she's going to have a nice little ulcer by the time she's 20! I think she made a good choice, but she took WAY too much time making the decision.

Totally classless of Davis to discuss his parents $ on TV.

I was glad for Scot - he seems to be really open to trying new things (dancing) for the sake of the team AND I admire his work ethic. I do wish he'd lose the pony tail.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    If anyone's still wondering about how you get a GPA greater than 4.0 there's a lot of detailed discussion on Jeremy's thread of that topic.

+ Reply to Thread