+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: 6/13 Show Discussion Thread *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by Muduh
    Why are some schools lauded as being exceptional? Why not hold all to the same high standards?
    I like all of these kids, some more than others of course. They are probably a very intelligent bunch but I wonder how much more they could do with the right instruction.
    I understand what you're saying and I agree but I also understand that some schools need to work up to high standards and unfortunately many schools need to work up to average standards!

I went through Chicago public grade schools and the education I received was sub-standard at best. I didn't realize this until I went to a good high school and fortunately I blended and made up for some educational skills I lacked but many kids don't get that opportunity and become frustrated with school and drop out and many more graduate from high school unable to pass a basic writing or math test.

I also agree with another post regarding the ease of the questions. It's been a long time since I've studied Biology and I too was able to answer all the questions. I'd like to see some tougher questions thrown at these kids, after all they are at the top of their classes. I like them all, they are so cute...they could be my kids
    "We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." ~Anais Nin

"Sometimes the heart sees what is invisible to the eye." ~H. Jackson Brown Jr

I like what you said about schools needing to work up to averge. That is a sad fact, isn't it?
    The school system here isn't good at all. The country schools are actually much better than the city schools, but still need a lot of changes made.
    I see a mispelled word in my last post. I really do know how to spell that word, just a mistake, okay?

I like the idea of GPAs going above 4.0. When I was in high school I took 3 AP courses and did OK, finished with a 3.5 or something, but I remember many students finishing ahead of me with 3.8 or 4.0 because they took the easier courses. Still, many schools only go up to 4.0 but class rank is determined more on the weight of the courses you are taking. GPA doesnt mean as much as weight.

I am sorry, but have to agree with some of the posts about the difficulty of the questions. I would be shocked if any of the students I see in junior high would get more than one wrong in those biology questions. They were way too easy for these "scholars". That said, I still like the show and wish each of these kids the best. Hopefully they will all get some money from the show for college.

I also do not understand why Scott had to answer one more question right than his opponent to win the battle last night.

Quote Originally Posted by xiphoid76
    I also do not understand why Scott had to answer one more question right than his opponent to win the battle last night.
    Not sure I understand that either (?) It'll be nice if the producers of the show was were FORTers so they could clue us in [hint, hint]
    "We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." ~Anais Nin

"Sometimes the heart sees what is invisible to the eye." ~H. Jackson Brown Jr

Well, the winner wins by knowing more than the loser. That's why Scot had to answer one more question than Gerald. That proves that he knows more (at least at that point on those questions given). If he answered it wrong, then both Gerald and him would have the same number of questions answered wrong. Then they would tie, and start over again. By answering one more question correctly, Scot had more questions that he got right than Gerald (by one).

They all answered the first round of questions correctly, then Scott and Gerald got the next ones right and the third guy did not. This left Scott and Gerald. Scott then answered the next one correctly and Gerald got his wrong. Then they made Scott answer another question correctly - so he answered 2 more questions correctly than Gerald.

Scot had already answered one more question correctly than Gerald. By asking him another question Scot answered 2 more questions correctly than Gerald and answered none incorrectly. I thought that was very unfair. The last person will always have the advantage. It does say a lot that the winner was a person who didn't study biology at all.

Not only did I think that the questions were too easy, I thought that their team challenge was rather dumb. Unless they are trying for a scholarship to study choreography I don't see the point of making them devise a dance routine. Neither team seemed to have brought in many people. I was rather suprised; I thought the numbers would be higher. Considering that they were given money to spend they should have just directly bribed people to go.

I do like the show. It seems to me that it is more positive than most reality shows. During the first show the contestants actually helped each other study, even though they were competing each other. That wasn't so evident last night, but they didn't try to psyche each other out either.

I liked the fact that Melissa did not choose Milana, even though that would have been the obvious choice. The fact that she went to see the counselor about it, showed that she took her decision seriously. I don't know if Milana really meant what she said afterward or whether she just wanted to maintain good relations Melissa. She appeared not to bear a grudge, but who knows how bitter she was inside.

As some of the other posters have said, most of these kids are not really in financial need (relatively speaking). The only one who sounded as if he really needed the money was Scot, so I was glad that he won.

Davis redeemed himself a bit this week, by making good on the money he lost. I am not sure that he could have done much else (said that he didn't have the money to pay or denied responsibility a la Omarossa on the Apprentice), but he did accept responsibilty.

I thought that this week we got to know some of the students a bit better and that made it more enjoyable. Last week I thought all the confessionals were pointless. This week it seemed to provide more background.

Finally, I don't understand why the students call their parents to tell them that they are in the final quiz. They haven't won anything at that point. It seems to me that telling your parents only puts more pressure on yourself. Isn't it better to win something and suprise your parents? It's not as if the parents could do anything to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by William13
    Finally, I don't understand why the students call their parents to tell them that they are in the final quiz. They haven't won anything at that point. It seems to me that telling your parents only puts more pressure on yourself. Isn't it better to win something and suprise your parents? It's not as if the parents could do anything to help them.
    I would bet that the producers tell them to do it. We empathize with the students' desire to please their parents, and the parents' knowing about the showdown sort of increases the drama for the viewer. Just a hunch.

Either that, or the parents said, "call me after every single thing that happens so I know what is going on".
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

It's my understanding that the top colleges are looking for more than smarts in their students. Team spirit, community involvement, clubs are all factors. This ep touched on that.

I thought most of the questions were easy, but there was no pressure on me to answer them either. If they had Biology at all, it was probably in Jr High. Since then their minds have been cluttered with tougher courses that probably has their short term memory banks full. While FORTers are a generally a smart bunch, we probably also have more years on these kids to have accumulated knowledge outside of the classroom.

The questions aren't all that hard. I knew most of them and I sure as hell didn't get a 1600 on my SATs.

Anyway this is taped at my school. The girl who won the certificate is my friend lol. She didn't even know she was on.

Who I think is going to win- i forgot her name, but the girl who got the first seat in the finals.

+ Reply to Thread