+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: 6/6 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Muduh
    I'm puzzled by something that I read on the individual bios. One guy said that his GPA would have been higher if he hadn't missed time to go and do the show. The taping of the show took 18 days. How much difference could that have made? Someone enlighten me if you can.
    I think I read the same thing here. It could be that York College isn't as forgiving as a high school or home school with regard to missing classes, assignments, etc. It could be that he has incompletes to make up. I'm just speculating.
    Currently looking for a pressure-less and expectation-free zone zone

My Corner of the Web

Davis is an arrogant jerk and I loved seeing him knocked down a peg when he didn't know Margaret Mitchell wrote Gone With The Wind. When he was talking to his mom at the end of the show, he looked like he was peeved that he didn't know and was trying to blame it on her.

Jeremy needs to chill. He didn't win the first challenge, but that doesn't stop him from going to college. There is still the big scholarship to win. Somebody give him a chill pill.

I am glad Melissa won the first scholarship. She is my fave to win it all.

I really like this show. It is nice to see a competition that uses brains. I hope it doesn't let us down.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

I really wanted to like this show but I found it disappointing. The literature questions during the showdown were far too basic and the puzzles were too easy. I rather watch Jeopardy.

I really like Melissa (maybe in part because that's the name of my sister and was the name of my greatgrandmother). Poor Jeremy. That kid has the weight of the world on his shoulders. I hope he can just have some fun.

Tada
    I loved this show. The hybrid of quiz show and reality show is very interesting. My favorite part was when they went around the campus and solved the brain teasers, cuz I admit, I'm kind of fan of those. I was also surprised at how much I knew about American literature, even!

As for the absences, they really can be a pain in the neck to make up. In fact, if I was gone from my school for as many days as the taping took, I'd instantly fail all of my classes because my school has a limit on absences. I'm sure others do as well.

Still no favorites by me yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Aota Bass
    Wow- I really like all these kids except Jeremy. And I hate judging someone so young so quick, but either he's really hamming up this villain role for the camera in hopes of fame, or he really is a total jerk.

Jeremy is a villian? I hope you are talking about Davis.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

At this point if anyone wins the whole thing except Davis I will be happy.

I hope that it is Jeremy, Melissa or Scot who wins.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

I just finished watching this episode. Everyone is fine in my opinion except Davis . . . blah!

Jeremy's work ethic will surely serve him well throughout the competition. He reminds me a lot of one of my good friends in HS.

The admissions showdown on literature, however? Rather elementary.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantenna
    Jeremy's work ethic will surely serve him well throughout the competition. He reminds me a lot of one of my good friends in HS.
    He reminds me of so many kids I went to school with, Manny. Jeremy is from Westminster, which is the town next to my hometown. I totally recognized the area they showed footage of when they did his little profile. Orange County has a large Asian population - particularly from Vietnam and Laos. I can imagine how much pressure he is feeling (a lot of it probably comes not from his parents, but from himself) - look at everything his parents have sacrificed for him to have all this opportunity.

I'm definitely rooting for Jeremy, but I wouldn't be too disappointed if Melissa won.

Those questions were so easy! It was perfect poetic irony that Davis lost it on the GWTW question after being a smart ass about that book. I was laughing right along with his mother at the end! Turns out that the annoying jerk of the show isn't the home schooled kid, like many people speculated he would be.

Boy, they sure made USC look good. I guess the opted not to get shots of the guard booths and the security fencing. I used to work at the LA County Museum, which is right in that same area. Let's just say, I wouldn't walk around there alone at night.

One thing I've already learned from this show: even little braniac geniuses still use the work "LIKE" too much!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Too cold to run away! Burntcrow's Avatar
    My friend from high school, Decinna, was also like Jeremy. Her parents would get upset if she came in 3rd at competitions instead of 1st. We felt bad for her, because winning 3rd place should be something to celebrate, but instead her family walked away in disapointment. If she did win, there were no hugs or kisses. I am sure they were proud of her, though. Unfortunately, she died in a house fire a couple months before she would have graduated high school as the valedictorian.

+ Reply to Thread