+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Scholar: Jeremy

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by 101ethan
    how could they not choose jeremy? are they insane?
    If his side had won the debate I think their whole team would have went to the showdown.

CCL
    Really? Where did you hear that, Jadoh? It's great news.
    Click to see Spoiler:
    That means 3 of the scholars at Harvard. Alyssa, Amari and Jeremy. Wow.
    . I don't know that it is spoiler either but I stuck it in spoiler tags anyways.

True enough, Austin. I don't think the Scholarship Committee would have put Davis in as one of the chosen people in the showdown last night.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by CCL
    Really? Where did you hear that, Jadoh? It's great news.
    Click to see Spoiler:
    That means 3 of the scholars at Harvard. Alyssa, Amari and Jeremy. Wow.
    . I don't know that it is spoiler either but I stuck it in spoiler tags anyways.

True enough, Austin. I don't think the Scholarship Committee would have put Davis in as one of the chosen people in the showdown last night.
    Click to see Spoiler:
    It's on his myspace, which is myspace.com/grumptious . He's also connected to Milana, Alyssa, Davis, and Max. Milana is headed to Princeton and Max to Columbia.
    Last edited by JadohJT; 07-12-2005 at 06:07 PM.

My mother just sent me a clipping about Jeremy from a little freebie paper in their area (my hometown is right "next door" to Westimster, where Jeremy lives) called “School News.” It has a picture of him and the following blurb, which, I think, is written by the principal of the school:

Valedictorian Jeremy Tran has earned a cumulative grade-point average of 4.68 on a 4.0 scale. Jeremy has engaged in a rigorous sequence of college preparatory courses, in addition to participating in a variety of school and community activities. Prior to coming to Westminster High School, Jeremy attended Hayden Elementary School and Warner Middle School. Jeremy is a member of MERITS club, California Scholarship Federation, Academic Decathlon, Spanish Club, Key Club and Independent Voices. In addition, he has participated on the water polo and swim team. Jeremy was chosen from thousands of applicants to appear on the reality TV show “The Scholar,” which began airing on national television in June. The winner will receive a $250,000 college scholarship. Jeremy will attend Harvard University in the fall to study biochemistry, law, or political science.
    There is also some info about the class salutatorian and a generic "they're the best we have and we wish them luck" kind of statement at the end.

I have to think that, with his academic record, and the new visibility he's gotten from the show, he will likely have some scholarships thrown his way. I wouldn't be surprised if successful members of the Vietnamese community in Orange County wanted to help him out. He's an impressive kid.

I just wanted to give him a big hug when he knew he missed his final chance at the money. I can't imagine that his parents are anything but incredibly proud of him
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Poor Jeremy....

Only one shot at the showdown, so sad!!

Oh well, it was either him or Amari and I was going for Amari...

so sad...
    Get Fantasia's self titled CD, in stores now!!!

FORT Newbie
    And you could see his spirit draining away during each show. And, when he lost in the first captains challenge, you could see the hurt and pain very clearly in his eyes and face. $20,000 MAY buy a year at Harvard.

I also noticed that all of them were beginning to have problems as the 'finality' of the money began slipping away. For example, Davis(the tall blonde who tries to be Mr. Cool) was also crying after he was eliminated on that question concerning presidential assassinations.

These young people were used by ABC and USC for cheap ratings---I found myself wanting to 'deck' the host and also wanting to have some strong words with the 'adults' on the 'committee'.

Jeremy was hurting and in pain after the first challenge: If I had been Mr. Broad(the benefactor), I would have stopped the show at that point and awarded each 'Scholar' $2 million(500k for scholarship, the rest as kind of a MacArthur grant). It was getting very painful to watch Jeremy.

IMO, this show SHOULD NEVER HAVE HAPPENED! I would be unsurprised if some of the teens(say Davis and Jeremy) will need counseling or just an empathetic, nonjudgmental 'Great Spirit' to just listen while they 'unloaded their feelings' and also an available shoulder for a good cry
    Last edited by charmers; 07-24-2005 at 10:25 PM.

CCL
    I respect your opinion, charmers, but I have to disagree. These "scholars" entered the competition knowing it was just that - a competition. They knew that there was only a 1 in 10 chance of them emerging as the final victor. To award them all 2 million dollars not only contravenes the whole competitive aspect, but it is also not realistic (where would they get $ 20 million dollars from!) Life is not always peachy, and there's no such thing as a free lunch (to use a couple of trite expressions). Yes, Jeremy was hurt at not winning. I'm sure it was not the first time he has been hurt, nor will it be the last. That's life. He did get something out of it ($20, 000 + a computer and some new friends) and then found another way to get to Harvard. Thousands of students have to do the same. I'm sure all the scholars will do fine. Good luck to them.

FORT Newbie
    CCL:

In theory, I agree with you And I am sure once they all received their acceptances into 'Scholar', they understood there was only a 10% chance of winning.

Unfortunately, since one finishes mentally growing at 25, they may not have fully understood how they would feel towards the end of the competition. And, remember, the rules were changed for the five finalists. Personally, I would prefer, being a middle aged 'thuggish Bohlshevik dinosaur', that education be made free(more cost-effective than our imperial Iraqi adventure) so that these young people would NOT have to consider this route for a scholarship. I had some REAL problems with this show.

Actually, spending 20 million on these ten could be a pretty good investment If one of them(say Jeremy) were to develop a new process, procedure,...... and it helped millions of people at low cost, then the money would have been well-spent Besides, there is incredible waste in 'defense' spending.

CCL
    Yes, I've heard of the notion that we are not fully mature until our early 20s. Not sure that I agree with it, personally. I definitely agree with you that money is wasted in so many places when it could be better spent on things like education. But, really, could it not be said that Jeremy (or whoever) could have gotten just as good an education in a state (ie cheaper) school? Because college is what you make of it - you can spend 4 years boozing it up at Harvard or 4 years at State University X studying, engaging your professors, making your own way. Harvard just has the prestige factor.
    Now, as to whether the scholars should have millions invested them because they will contribute something lasting to society...hm, that remains to be seen. I think most of them will have happy, prosperous lives but I seriously doubt all 10 will be making giant discoveries that will change our lives. Maybe Milana with her stem cell research. Maybe Davis with his political career (help us!) or maybe one of the others. Probably, though, most of them will fade into obscurity. Nothing wrong with that.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345