+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scholar: Melissa

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Muduh
    Her surgery really doesn't sway me in her direction. Has nothing to do with the contest, just the pity factor. I'm not into the pity thing.
    If her medical problems got her out of gymnastics and into using her brain they may have been a blessing in disguise. At least she won't have arthritis by the time she's 25 like a lot of gymnasts do, and she'll be able to make a good living even if she isn't the academic equivalent of a gold medal winner. Even the 10th place scholar does well.
    No offense to gymnasts out there...just being realistic about the career prospects.

She won last night and has a good chance to go all the way. Like the old saying goes "what doesn't kill you, can make you stronger". She seems to be one of the front runners.

She was pretty much the underdog going in so I was happy for her.

I really like her- she seems just wonderful, and she did well last night. She may even be my fave at this point.

But I have to say, it did seem like a ridiculously easy way to get $50,000. She solved a MENSA-type riddle- good for her. That got her to the final, and she knew very basic questions about 19th-20th cent American Lit, basically winning because Jeremy got "White Fang" and "Call of the Wild" mixed up (which is VERY understandable- that was the only question i wasn't sure of- they're almost the same novel) and Davis hadn't read "Gone with the Wind"- which isn't anywhere near most high school's required literature canon anymore (unlike Poe and Hemingway).

So I'm very happy for her. And I hope she does well. But I just think she got really lucky this first round.
    And I sing sometimes like my life is at stake because you're only as loud as the noises you make.

I like Melissa. I am glad she is in the final round because she desrves it.

Go Melissa!!!
    Get Fantasia's self titled CD, in stores now!!!

After watching the show Melissa is my favorite so far. I hope she gains confidence in herself that she needs to win.

Wow!!!! I am even more impressed with Melissa after watching this week's episode! She is not taking advantage of the fact that she is in the finals (tell that to the Project Manager winners on The Apprentice). She is still playing this competion as if she was competing for her life!!! She aced the captain's quiz, her team won the challenge, & when she had the choice of taking a person to the admissions showdown, she chose Max instead of Miliana. I think that the Scholarship Committee is very impressed with Melissa. After Monday night, Melissa is definitely the one to beat. I just hope she doesn't pull a Tana or Ian (by letting us down at the very end).
    Get Fantasia's self titled CD, in stores now!!!

CCL
    I don't know. I liked her in the first episode but in the last episode she kind of gave off a smug vibe to me.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL
    I don't know. I liked her in the first episode but in the last episode she kind of gave off a smug vibe to me.
    CCL, I didn't get that feeling coming from her at all. She seems like a really sweet young lady to me. It seemed like she really wanted to do the right thing with the captain's pick instead of the easy thing which would have been to pick her buddy Milana.
    "So, what is fame? It's lightening that strikes some people. It's lightening that some people seek." Jewel

CCL
    It is interesting how she was praised for not automatically choosing her friend Milana for the showdown. But now we learn that the person she did choose was the guy she had a crush on. So was she really being all that objective when choosing the showdown competitor, or was she just going for her crush over her friend and not considering anyone else? I'm not trying to bash Melissa (though, truthfully, I still am not liking her after seeing this episode. But I don't hate her or anything - I reserve that for Davis. ), I just thought it was an interesting dynamic.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast