+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scholar: Scot

Okay I don't believe it, but Scot is from my area...and the local newspaper did an article on him this morning, but since I'm not too adept at these things, I will have to re-read how to do a link.
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day---Harry S. Truman

Will Parsley Be Sage Enough To Win

Okay, hope this works. He seems to be a well rounded guy.
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day---Harry S. Truman

This guy is my early favorite, at least on paper. That is all subject to change once the show actually comes on.

As long as he's not completely vile, he'll remain my fave.
    Always looking for cat treats!

Breathe out, so I can breathe you in...

FORT Newbie
    I'm rooting for this guy! I homeschool my two and while it may seem "suspect" to have mom grading their papers, I certainly am no pushover, if the work isn't correct, the grading reflects that. On another note, my kids are very social beings and are in no way hindered in that area by being homeschooled.

I was very happy to see that Scot seemed to go against the typical stereotype that many have of homeschoolers.
    ~Robyn~

CCL
    My mom would probably have been harder on me than my teachers were. He seems okay. Don't have a firm impression of him yet.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

FORT Newbie

Homeschooling

Please don't make assumptions based upon the many misconceptions rampant in our society today. The "s" word (socialization) is one of the main concerns regarding homeschooling. Let's not be narrow-minded about areas in which we are uninformed.

My older dds all attended public schools and graduated, however, I am now homeschooling my younger two sons (high school and middle school). We are actually homeschooling so that my sons can participate in several activities not available at our local public schools, although we have our religious desires, also.

My dh and I laughed so hard when we heard that the judge had assumptions about Scot being a loner. I'm sure they are out there, but we have not met one in our ten years of homeschooling. Every homeschooler that we've met has been able to communicate with adults, the elderly, strangers, children, and more. I can't say that about my older children's classmates.

Regarding grades, many homeschooling highschoolers take college classes, distance-learning courses, or coop classes. Those grades do not come from parents. Many, like myself, also create individual courses in which I do grade my son's work. My son's grades are usually an average of his test scores. Sure, parents could give their students all A's on their transcripts, but would they be comparable to their SAT/ACT scores? That would more than raise eyebrows from universities.

I'm also sure that Scot had to prove up his grades (ie...SAT/ACT scores) to even participate on the show.

Hmm...regarding "talented, odd, socially inept individuals": I've been around hundreds of public school students and hundreds of homeschool students. There have been a few with quiet personalities, but not because they are isolated. In each community there are the the scholars, jocks, jerks, nerds, musicians, and combinations of them all. It isn't limited to homeschooling. ;-) I'm sure that many jocks believe the musicians are inept on some level. My sons are a combo of the lists and I think that's great!

I will be watching the show, but haven't picked my favorite yet. :-)

If this kid has four jobs, he is out in the world socializing with people all the time. So, even if the home schooling did give him a disadvantage in some ways, his socialization skills have probably developed by now. He seemed to be much more mature than some of the others and I will expect him to emerge as the alpha male. While Davis is overtly trying to control the group and be the alpha, this kid has a quiet strength about him that will probably have more influence with the others.

So far, Scot is my early favorite. I just hope that that is not the curse of doom for him.
    Currently looking for a pressure-less and expectation-free zone zone

My Corner of the Web

Quote Originally Posted by MereRen
    Regarding grades, many homeschooling highschoolers take college classes, distance-learning courses, or coop classes. Those grades do not come from parents. Many, like myself, also create individual courses in which I do grade my son's work. My son's grades are usually an average of his test scores. Sure, parents could give their students all A's on their transcripts, but would they be comparable to their SAT/ACT scores? That would more than raise eyebrows from universities.
    But you do write the test, correct?

Homeschooling is something I have a very hard time understanding. If the parent is a teacher by profession, that is one thing, but as far as parents deciding that they are better teachers than someone who has gone to college/university to become a teacher - I just don't get it!! I'm sorry, I don't mean to offend anyone - I just don't understand it.

I would not try to repair a broken bone, nor would I try to remove a tooth; I would go to a professional who has proved ( with education and experience ) that they are capable of helping me with my needs. For me homeschooling goes hand in hand with that. I want my children taught by people who have been educated. I want them to be taught in an enviroment with other children, some well behaved and some not - it's a part of life and in order to function as adults I believe that they have to learn to deal with it.

As I mentioned above, I don't want to offend anyone, this is just how I feel.

K
    (who is now running away to hide from the rotten eggs....)

Quote Originally Posted by KMK0902
    But you do write the test, correct?

Homeschooling is something I have a very hard time understanding. If the parent is a teacher by profession, that is one thing, but as far as parents deciding that they are better teachers than someone who has gone to college/university to become a teacher - I just don't get it!! I'm sorry, I don't mean to offend anyone - I just don't understand it.

I would not try to repair a broken bone, nor would I try to remove a tooth; I would go to a professional who has proved ( with education and experience ) that they are capable of helping me with my needs. For me homeschooling goes hand in hand with that. I want my children taught by people who have been educated. I want them to be taught in an enviroment with other children, some well behaved and some not - it's a part of life and in order to function as adults I believe that they have to learn to deal with it.

As I mentioned above, I don't want to offend anyone, this is just how I feel.

K
    (who is now running away to hide from the rotten eggs....)
    I can understand your opinion, but just think about a few things here too.
    Who's to say the teacher can write a test correctly? Many can't.
    A lot of home schoolers are actually college educated and many are more qualified to teach their kids than the actual teachers are. And another thing, attending classes and getting a degree doesn't necessarily mean that they are great teachers. My kids and grandkids have had some real doozies over the years. They have had some great ones. They have also had some who were average and several who probably couldn't begin to pass the test that they were administering.
    It would probably be hard to find someone on the street to set your broken bones, but many could. And the "dentist" used to be the local barber who also did surgical procedures. He had no formal education to do those procedures, he was self taught, more than likely.
    One thing I always remember is something I heard years ago. Every class, whether medical, dental, law school, whatever else, had a bottom half. How do we know that the professional we are trusting to save our lives wasn't at the bottom of the bunch? And the teacher could have been there too.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast