+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why Supernova can't hold a candle to the House Band

Oh yeah. The house band is so much more than a random bunch of talented musicians. In addition to the comments already made about them, they seem to have their own "it" factor going. They impart a special magic to whatever they're playing - aside from being top-tier talent (in terms of musicianship). I prefer them, doing covers, to either SN or INXS. And I normally detest cover bands.
    Token Christian.

If truth is relative, how do you know?

JR.
    Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post

Neither was it the same when Hagar replaced Roth in Van Halen. I've seen them live with both Dave and Sammy and DAve while an A**, was definetly better.
    It wasn't the same, but VH was still successful and that was my point. I just looked at them like 2 different bands

Tommy Lee on Drums is the only one in this group or in Crue that you couldn't replace as he is an awesome drummer.
    I have to disagree about the Crue. While I like Tommy (and would love to live a day in his life), he doesn't make Motley Crue. Technically, he doesn't do anything difficult, he's more of a showman. He left for a short time and was replaced by Randy Castillo and they didn't miss a beat. Randy passed away and they had Samantha Maloney (yes, a girl!) finish out the tour, and again it worked (she's even on the concert DVD).

But, when they did that album without Vince and had John Corabi singing, it didn't do very well. Sales were down, and they had to cancel a lot of shows.

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    I kind of skimmed this thread so this point may have been made, but people are praising to the skies the houseband (and they are amazing) and pooh-poohing SN without taking into consideration that the HB is playing covers and SN is playing originals, so apples and oranges. While the HB may be (actually, are) brilliant craftsmen, we have no way of knowing if any of the members are at all creative. I've been in a band in the past and Mr. Rattus still drums in a band and while we can both determine whether a song is wonderful or dreadful (I've had musicians listening to mixed tapes I've made that were playing in the background prick their ears and say "hey, who put this together - this is brilliant" ), and can do an acceptable cover, neither of us can write a decent song to save our lives.
    Rattus, the house band have played other songs than covers. They have played and suggested positive changes on some of the rockers originally penned songs. So they haven't done all covers. Paul especially has been very good at suggesting changes that have worked well for some of the singers. I think he especially knows what he's doing, has the talent AND creativity to make the house band into a really good original band.

And he's had to do covers with rockers suggesting weird changes, key changes, etc. And its obvious when you watched the rehearsals and heard him make a suggestion and later saw the performance show where it was obvious his suggestion was a LOT better than the singers first choice.

Yeah, there are a lot of good cover bands, but I think the house band is more talented than that and I hope they move beyond covers and show us some of the great stuff that we've glimpsed on the show that they can come up with.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Fan
    To me it comes down to which side is more versatile rather than better or worse. I can't say for a fact that the guys in the house band are better musicians than the guys in SN. However, I think it's pretty safe to say that they are more versaitle musicians but that may only be because the SN guys are only interested in doing their kind of music which is fair enough.

FORT Fan
    Hey Everyone! First time poster here - I've been "lurking" for a long time but finally decided to join the fun 'cause I just love it here!

I'm gonna jump in here in defense of the House Band with everyone keeping in mind these are just my thoughts and are not meant to "go against the grain". These 5 guys are all accomplished musicians in their own right and in no way "non-creative nobodies" that just jumped on the band wagon to be on a tv show and play covers to a worldwide tv audience. They all have interests and bands outside of being the Rockstar House Band and at least 3 of them have put out cd's in the last couple of months. Jim McGorman's is really quite good; though I haven't heard the other two yet.

I would imagine it to be really difficult to learn over 200 songs over the course of an 11 week reality show taking into consideration that they basically don't use sheet music, the songs have to pared down to around 2 minutes and are all rearranged to the contestants specifications. And they make those songs sound great every time! I think they even made some ofthe rockers sound better than they would have otherwise with a less talented group of guys.

On a side note: there is talk of the House Band putting out a record sometime in the future. I read this in a post Paul Mirkovich put on another site. Don't know if I can say where I read this here or not but if anyone wants to know, I'll be glad to tell you. I'm not sure of the rules and don't want to get into trouble since I'm a newbie and all.

Anyway...so these are just my thoughts. I love the House Band and would gladly listen to any music they put out. I really hope they put out their own cd!

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    .... Lukas gets to tour with a guy whose band is an honest-to-goodness legend (OK, for partying as well as their music, but so what?). He was frying buffalo wings at Hooters before this, for God's sake.
    That was the job he had to pay for food and shelter while he was passionately singing for 10 years in dives. He's a lucky guy as you said. He gets to live his dream just like JD Fortune does. How many people get to do that?

I don't quite undertstand the big discussion about the House Band. I enjoyed them on the show. I think they played very well. They cannot be compared to the "legends' of SN who have an extensive public and successful history and have created their own mark. However, I don't think they should be written off as just nobody's either. I take them for what they were/are. Really good musicians who did a great job and who helped the contestants shine on stage and were a valuable accessory to SN.

I don't with them ill will, but I don't shun them success either. Is that wrong?
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Welcome AllyCat! I agree with you about the outstanding musical ability of the House Band. Thank you for informing us about the info that you have on these guys, and I look forward to hearing more about them. Honestly if I would go to an SN concert, it would be just to hear the HB.

I hope that you will join us for the Rockstar 3, AllyCat!
    And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know ~ Kansas

I would pay to see the houseband, but not to see SuperNova. Does that make the houseband better than SuperNova? Not really, to each his own.

But honestly, SuperNova is a pick up band intended to last maybe a year. It's more a band of convienence. The house band has now been together for two years. So in terms of cohesiveness they win on that score.
    "How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his friend. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame... for one person. In the dark. Where no one will ever know or see." - Sebastion, Babylon 5

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by JR. View Post
    It wasn't the same, but VH was still successful and that was my point. I just looked at them like 2 different bands

I have to disagree about the Crue. While I like Tommy (and would love to live a day in his life), he doesn't make Motley Crue. Technically, he doesn't do anything difficult, he's more of a showman. He left for a short time and was replaced by Randy Castillo and they didn't miss a beat. Randy passed away and they had Samantha Maloney (yes, a girl!) finish out the tour, and again it worked (she's even on the concert DVD).

But, when they did that album without Vince and had John Corabi singing, it didn't do very well. Sales were down, and they had to cancel a lot of shows.
    If talking about individual skill, then yes, Tommy was easily the most talented member of Motley Crue. Motley Crue's success never did stem from being a technically impressive band. Aside from Tommy's drumming, not much mention was really made of it. The band did some right things at the right time, and did them fairly well.

I think the commercial failure of the Corabi album had more to do with it being a bad record released into far less inviting environment, than it did to the absence of Neil on vocals.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12