+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: 8/23 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Has anyone watched the reality videos on the SN site? It wasn't just the press day that Dilana was dogging everyone. When they went to Vegas, she pulled TLee aside and told him that in her opinion, the contest was over and they just needed to get on with it. She did not say it in a joking manner and used a couple curse words to get her point accross.

I personally think that the reason SN gave her good reviews after Every Breath is because they know that she has a large fan base and they don't want to upset them. They have to be looking at who gets the most votes and considering them potential SN fans.

I like the guys in SN indivually, but so far, their stuff is way too reminiscent of the 80s. I think that Dilana is the only one capable of living in that style (With her Cindy Lauper impersonation). All the others are much more in the now.

LKH
    That's kind of a matter of interpretation, smooches. I saw that video, and it did look like a joking comment to me. I remember thinking that I'd love to see the faces on the other people if they heard what she said, and I remember thinking that she could've just gone to Tommy and said, "I really feel like I'm the one for this gig" without saying anything about sending the others home. But I didn't take it as dogging anyone personally. It was just a brash comment made after a couple of drinks.

She crossed the line, though, with what she said this week.

And I agree about SN. Unless they find a way to raise the level of what they're doing up a notch, they're just going to blend into the woodwork of all the other rock bands out there. I don't see anything really special. And I love watching Gilby - the guy is hot. But I still think that they need someone extraordinary to front them, or it's going to be pretty "meh."

LAGuy didn't disappoint with his teaser. I thought last night's show was a pivotal change in direction for the remaining singers and easily the best results show as far as entertainment value goes.

I think it's very interesting how varied everyone's opinion is about the singers in the discussion thread and I'm going to throw some praise towards Toby. I enjoyed his performance of Plush and rank it way higher than Magni or Patrice.

I don't know. I really see Ryan and Toby gaining stock in the eyes of Supernova. I've been a fan of Ryan and always equated Toby being another Phil but after last night, Toby was pretty convincing.

I'm not going to gain many fans by saying this but Magni:
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

Oh Speedbump, right when I thought we had a lot of things in common... Apparently musical taste & entertainment are not one of them LOL

I loved Magni, but have found Toby very meh the last few weeks - even last night. I wasn't really loving the performance with SN, and I wasn't really sold on his version of "Plush". Magni, to me, is how I picture 'rockers' today, plus, he's a good guy as well.

I do have to say that I liked Lukas tonight (which is unusual) and thought he carried himself well on the q&a. He didn't pull his usual gloomy crap when Toby did that performance with the band, and he was shocked to see Toby & Magni in the bottom 3. It was nice to see that from him.

Buffy: What is this?
    Willow: A doodle. I do doodle. You too. You do doodle, too. ("Gingerbread")

Xander: Damn it! You know what? I'm sick of this crap. I'm sick of being the guy who eats insects and gets the funny syphilis. As of this moment, it's over. I'm finished being everybody's butt monkey! ("Buffy vs. Dracula")

LKH
    I think Magni is likable, but I haven't seen anything from him that really blows my socks off. Ditto Toby (well, he is great-looking, but onstage, I don't see anything extraordinary). I agree with the band that Ryan looks uncomfortable most of the time. Makes me uncomfortable. Even the last performance, he only really looked LESS uncomfortable, which is not to say the problem is solved. Lukas is just too much. Everything about him, to me, looks very painstakingly planned to look off-the-cuff and shocking. His smirks and winks look like he spent hours in front of a mirror working on them. The hair, the makeup, just everything, to me, looks posed, practiced, and calculated. Even the little chuckle he gave the reporter when the reporter named the song that accompanied his first sexual experience just looked "let's pretend I'm interested."

I love Storm. I think she is awesome on just about every level. She has occasionally just grabbed my attention and kept me riveted. But her performances have been pretty uneven. Dilana, even at her worst, has kept my attention superglued to the tv screen every single time. And last week, with SN, she just owned that stage.

I really hope she can sort herself out and become the best person for this gig.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway View Post
    Exactly. Sure, what she said wasn't untruthful, but it's quite obvious that she said those things to try to make herself look better and emphasize that she's head and shoulders above the rest (in her eyes.) She knew what she was saying was wrong, as evidenced by her videotaped comment that "I shouldn't have said that but I had to remember first and foremost that this is a competition."

She's the type of person that has to tear others down to make herself look better and I can't respect that whether the facts are truthful or not.
    What disappointed me the most (as a Dilana fan) was how incredibly immature both she AND Lukas (my second-favourite ) were in the interviews. They're not kids, and not that young (and, lest we forget, are from the *mean streets*), yet they snarked at each other like babies. I should include Ryan in here too for his dorky comments on the results show. Can we not act like grown-ups? It's not part of the competition, nor some skewed idea of what a rebellious, rocker image should be to slam your self-proclaimed "family" and if someone does, what good does it do to reply in kind? "I don't need a dove." Yeah, we get it, Lukas. Guess you borrowed that blue eyeliner from one of the more non-maternal contestants, like Storm or Ryan.

I didn't think Dilana's apology was that sincere, but I do think that she got the message from Dave & SN loud & clear. I doubt it will hurt her in the least bit in the long run with SN, either.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Yeah, Lukas was less than adult? mature? in his comeback to Dilana, but I've had one of those mother hen/fix-the-wounded-bird types in my life and I can completely empathize with him. There are few things more annoying than a person who thinks they can nurse you back to emotional health when there's nothing wrong in the first place. Particularly because they are rarely in it for someone else's good, but more for the glory that will be bestowed upon them for their altruistic goodness.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by speedbump View Post
    LAGuy didn't disappoint with his teaser. I thought last night's show was a pivotal change in direction for the remaining singers and easily the best results show as far as entertainment value goes.

I think it's very interesting how varied everyone's opinion is about the singers in the discussion thread and I'm going to throw some praise towards Toby. I enjoyed his performance of Plush and rank it way higher than Magni or Patrice.

I don't know. I really see Ryan and Toby gaining stock in the eyes of Supernova. I've been a fan of Ryan and always equated Toby being another Phil but after last night, Toby was pretty convincing.

I'm not going to gain many fans by saying this but Magni:
    As a Magni fan, I just want to say that that's what great about life, so many diverse opinions. I thought Magni was just awesome last night, Patrice Boring, and Toby okay. I thought Toby looked good with the band though, and even though I thought the song pretty much reeked, he sold it. Dilani I just can't stand, never could stand her voice, and she's very unpleasant to look at with all of the mutilitions and all.

I don't think Magni belongs with a band like Supernova (who I don't find all that interesting), though. I think he could easily front the House Band, and I would definitely pay to see that one.

So my answer, I guess, is Magni Dilana All the rest - meh.

I'm definitely in the minority here, but I thought Magni seemed very uncomfortable during his performance yesterday. It made me uncomfortable as well. Toby did an awesome job with both performances, though I have to admit that for the first few lines of Plush, the only thing I could hear was Magni singing it.
    Gustav Holst was right!

Don't blame the producers for the filth that came out of Dilana's mouth. To start with her version of "Every breath you take" was as boring as a traffic light. (And did she really wink to the camera at the end? How cheesy.) To me her performance was karaoke. Had any other performer sang that wimpy, SN would have jumped up their colons with comments like "We're looking for something hard and Rock & roll". Personally I see a lack of range in her performances. She sounds like Kim Carnes and vocally she is one dimensional. She has no business saying anyone is relying on the house band to cover for their lack of talent. Her lame excuse of "I'm just too honest. I'm incapable of telling a lie", translates into "I have no filter. I am unsophisticated and have no tact. I am insensitive and lack the charisma needed to front a successful music act".

Her insults about Ryan's talent were uncalled for and wrong. I've seen him perform very well on two instruments and perform an original song, Dilana has done neither. Secondly, her comments only serve Dilana's ego. There was nothing to be gained by insulting Ryan to his face other than easing her own insecurities. Her immature manner is a HUGE turn-off. Everybody thought Josh was a "nice guy" until his true colors as a prima donna were revealed. He's back on the coffee house circuit now and I suspect Dilana is not far behind him.

Here's a piece of advice for the remaining contestants - RUN! Run as far as you can as fast as you can away from this impending train wreck called Supernova. The songs I've seen so far suck big-time. When Dilby showed up a few weeks ago with a track for them, I would have shook my head and said "No thanks." Your first introduction to the public has to be a huge success if you want lasting fame. Being with SN is going to be a career-killer for whomever wins. The band seems more hung up on presenting a rock & roll stereotype over creating art. The initial sales of any CD they produce will spike because of the show and peoples curiosity. After that I predict chapter 11.

+ Reply to Thread