+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: 8/23 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

I don't think for a minute Dilana was just being "honest." She was delighting in ragging on the other contestants and got called on it big time. An apology is good, but don't use the too much "honesty" (implied as something admirable) thing as a cop-out for your behavior. This week hasn't been an isolated incident, either. I hope she learns and grows from this experience, because I think she is a great performer. I don't think she has the best voice, but she knows how to work what she has and really draws the audience into her performances.

Every week Patrice has looked and sounded the same to me. She bores me beyond comprehension. I could never see the rocker in her, just a prom queen's smile and hairdo each week. I'm sure she's lovely as a person, but she never did it for me. She lost her spunk after the altercation with Dave early in the season and never regrouped.

I thought Toby sounded great with Supernova. I actually liked that Supernova song and thought he displayed a lot of musicality tonight. I had concerns that his voice wouldn't be strong enough to front The Boys, but he demonstrated some pipes tonight. I loved both of his songs. He worked the stage well on both of them, too.

I think Magni gets better every week. He needs to draw the audience in more, but I think that is improving each performance, too. The interaction is getting there--but not quite. I loved his awesome performance tonight. He certainly interacts with the House Band. He just needs to get that across to the audience.
    Last edited by ShrinkingViolet; 08-24-2006 at 01:05 AM.

I'm with the minority that really like Ryan. To me, it sounded like sour grapes
    from Dilana in her comments to Ryan. She has been the queen bee so to speak and I think she is getting a little insecure or jealous of the attention that Ryan and some of the others have gotten lately. I think she has been very surprised at how Ryan and Toby and Lucas have stepped up their performances, and has seen the responses from SN. Obviously those of us who like Ryan aren't alone. He hasn't been in the bottom 3 for at least two weeks. I agree that he needs to work on some of his facial expressions. And he has made some negative comments in the past, but really Dilana came unhinged. And saying that she was just being honest compounds the problem in my eyes. All of the rockers who are left are very talented performers. One will win. Some of us will be happy with the result, some not so much. They are all winners to me and will go on and be successful in their careers. Nothing that they have said or done will change that. I trully can't say that I have picked a favorite yet, but I haven't eliminated anyone either, including Dilana. It's trully going to be difficult to pick a loser out of the rest of this talented bunch!

Patrice is and every week has been a Sheryl Crow wannabe, both in looks and song choices. Even when given the original song, it was way more Sheryl Crow than Supernova.

Storm, Lukas, and to some extent Dilana are the only expendable singers left. Dilana only because she doesn't have the "rock vocals" to carry that wild bunch of guys. They're in-your-face rockers, and even Storm does that better than Dilana. Dilana is a performance rocker, a la Stevie Nicks (and sounds a lot like her).

It bothers me that there isn't a female contestant who I can see carrying this band, though. I wish Storm wasn't so out of place here.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Storm, Lukas, and to some extent Dilana are the only expendable singers left. Dilana only because she doesn't have the "rock vocals" to carry that wild bunch of guys. They're in-your-face rockers, and even Storm does that better than Dilana. Dilana is a performance rocker, a la Stevie Nicks (and sounds a lot like her).

It bothers me that there isn't a female contestant who I can see carrying this band, though. I wish Storm wasn't so out of place here.
    I don't like Storm (her eyes? totally creep me out and I get really embarrassed for her when they get all weird and buggy), but I disagree about the other two. In fact, I expect they'll be the final two. I don't really love either of them, but they're both solid. They could pull this off, "this" being what Dave called it tonight - a reality show win.

The guys in Supernova - I've never been into their scene. I'm no expert. I couldn't point out a key if it punched me in the face ("A"? "C"? Are those even keys? Huh?), and I have a really hard time genuinely critiquing songs I've never heard before; my only basis being "ooh, that sounds pretty", or not. But Ryan weirds me out for some inexplicable reason, Storm, as I said, makes me want to fall in a giant hole in the earth, Toby - who I liked before - makes zero impression on me, and I almost never really fall in line with the majority on Magni. (Like, I didn't like him tonight.) But hell, Dilana and Lukas - I'm never really embarrassed. And for this kind of show, and as someone who's listening with a complete layperson's ear, that's the best I hope for.

Lukas can't dance at ALL, though. Those jerky movements, sometimes they embarrass me. But the singing is good. In my (probably tone deaf) opinion.

FORT Fan
    Well, sure Dilana might have been complaining more than trying to be honest, but it does not make her words not completely true.

She is one of like 2 people that even has talent in the "Supernova league", and even then it would probably be worse for her if she won this show imo. None of those people except maybe Lukas (slightly) look like hey fit the part, and hes some form of troglodite giving some fake, lame-ass image that anyone with an IQ over 50 can see through.

Anyways back off to good reality T.V. shows, as this one bites. Just managed to catch what was being said lol and I agreed with it completely, even though it might not have been her intent.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Rondadreams View Post
    Dilana is a great singer, she messed up. Big deal. Everyone messes up. Don't judge her just by one night. She spoke her mind and everyone was thinking the same thing anyway, they just don't want to say it.
    One night? I don't think so. This was all shown on one episode but was recorded over several days of the past week. That means Dilana was ragging on her competition for more than just "one night".

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadway View Post
    Agreed. I don't have much empathy for Ryan at all.

But watching the webisode and seeing Dilana trash each and every one of her fellow contestants was way out of line. And the comments weren't simply a matter of "I'm not a professional... I'm not used to interviewing." Common sense should have told her to not say most all of it.

And then her comment about Storm was just childish and petty: "Everyone was talking about whether they liked the SuperNova song. Of course I told them that I really loved it, but Storm said she thought the lyrics sucked..." Childish, childish, childish and there's no "honest" reason for having put that comment out there.
    Yet for all of Ryan's past transgressions, I think he has learned to temper his comments and be more respectful of others. On the other hand, Dilana's interpersonal skills have regressed.

Regarding her comment about Storm, Dilana simply gave me the impression of a smug little kid, running off to the adults to tattle on another kid. As you said, totally childish.

I think what everyone, except Dilana has forgotten, is that this is a COMPETITION!!! I agree she shot her mouth off a little harshly, but in the long run, her comments are going to resonate in the minds of her fellow contestants long after the general public forgets all about them, especially if she comes back next week and nails another performance...

If you think back though, this behavior is nothing new for her. Her comments to Dana in particular come to mind. IMHO, Dana should have been the one being booted this week, and Patrice should have gone weeks ago. Dilana made her comments about Dana's performance, and those comments undermined her thought processes just enough to cast doubts on her abilities as a singer and performer, leaving her vunerable at the right time to go down in flames.

I still think the final three will be the two remaining women, and either Toby or Magni. Ryan is a great performer, but he just does not have the look of a rock star necessary to fit in with the boys. Toby looked better up there that Magni would, but in the end, Dilana will be the new singer of Supernova, and every one of you will buy the music, whether you admit it or not...

Quote Originally Posted by Mojoman352 View Post
    None of those people except maybe Lukas (slightly) look like hey fit the part, and hes some form of troglodite giving some fake, lame-ass image that anyone with an IQ over 50 can see through.
    Damn...troglodite. There's a word you don't see, or hear, everyday. Totally appropriate usage, though. Lukas is a pimple on the rest of the group, and if Dilana and Lukas manage to kill each other off, my honey Storm has a shot to squeak in there and win it!

I take full responsibility for Storm not performing on the elimination show. I voted for her 20-25 times at least, and the margin according to Brooke was a handful of votes. I can sleep much better at night, knowing Stormie is going to make me happy for another week...

jmb
    FORT Fogey Word Builder Champion jmb's Avatar
    I can't believe Lukas was not in the bottom 3 last night! He totally deserved to be there for his back to the audience performance.
    I agree with those who thought that Toby sounded great on the Supernova track - I also thought that he sounded best in the studio on that song and was happy the group picked him to sing with them live.
    I have to admit that I have not been voting every week, but I'm planning to vote next week, hoping to keep Magni & Toby out of the bottom 3. I don't know if either of them will actually win, but I'd like to keep them around for a little while longer.
    In general, the top 6 are pretty awesome and it is going to be pretty hard to see these people start going home.
    It looked like Tommy Lee had a very hard time sending Patrice home this week... well it's only going to get more difficult, Tommy! I don't envy you.
    I kind of miss the way they did it last year, saying "you're not right for our band". Perhaps Tommy should start saying "We love you, [insert name here] but you're not right for our band Supernova". Because that's really what it comes down to in this competition -- this is not a best singer or best performer competition, this is a who is best for Supernova competition. The winner of a best singer/performer competition would probably be different from the winner of this who is best for Supernova competition. Hopefully, SN can figure out who is best for them soon (I don't think they have yet), and time is running out.

+ Reply to Thread