+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: 8/16 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    The SN song, however? Blew all kinds of chunks. Blech. If that is what they mean when they say they want to produce something new and modern, then someone needs to tell them it's actually 2006 and not 1986. It was cringe-worthy, sorry. On another site I read at (but do not post, my heart belongs to FORT!) one of the producers of the show wrote a very long and heartfelt defence of the SN track, as a song that brings the fun back to rock-n-roll, but not a lot of people wanted to agree. To most, it just SUCKED.
    To me, it did sound a bit better than last year's new song by INXS, "Us", but that's not saying much.

Finally!!! Zayra is out of there. I couldn't stand her one more week. Patrice will go next I predict. Too bad they didn't do another double elimination.
    "Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans."-John Lennon

jmb
    FORT Fogey Word Builder Champion jmb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JR. View Post
    I think it's [Patrice's] lack of stage presense that's the biggest problem. She has talent, a nice voice, good looks, and doesn't appear nervous on stage. But, she almost looks bored when performing, sort of like just going through the motions as if it was a rehersal.
    I totally agree JR. When I saw Patrice perform the Hole song, I was wishing she would jump around a bit - a little bit of pogo and some head banging would go a long way. Her stage performances are very subdued... she walks around and reaches out to the audience and smiles... more like a beauty pagent contestant than a rocker!
    I honestly like Patrice and her singing voice, but I just don't think she's a good fit for SN.

Quote Originally Posted by Remus Lupin View Post
    Normally, you'd be right about Lukas screaming but that didn't happen on this song. Plus, his enunciation of the lyrics was extremely clear. And I usually really dislike Lukas' singing so I'm certainly not cutting him any slack.

Personally, I prefer Magni overall and have liked his vocal style. However, when it comes down to ranking the Creep covers, I find Lukas' rendition much more compelling. Different strokes and all, I guess. Btw, I like Marty's version best by a hair.
    Hmm. Maybe I wasn't listening carefully enough. Or maybe my hearing is gone from listening to too much loud music More likely, I just plain prefer Magni. All I know is that after hearing such rave reviews of Lukas' version, I was thoroughly disappointed. When Magni sang it, I honestly could not look away, he drew me right into it.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723 View Post
    Hmm. Maybe I wasn't listening carefully enough. Or maybe my hearing is gone from listening to too much loud music More likely, I just plain prefer Magni. All I know is that after hearing such rave reviews of Lukas' version, I was thoroughly disappointed. When Magni sang it, I honestly could not look away, he drew me right into it.
    I agree...

Lukas is such an effing poser. He was not only vocally inferior, he failed to completely inject the song with any kind of emotion. The whole performance was so incensere that he made me want punch the TV...

just when you escape... raisingrrrl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Remus Lupin View Post
    Nah... it didn't sound worse...but it certainly looked worse!
    yeah... i think it was both... listen to it on MP3 without video, you'll see what i mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
    I agree...

Lukas is such an effing poser. He was not only vocally inferior, he failed to completely inject the song with any kind of emotion. The whole performance was so incensere that he made me want punch the TV...
    Oh, how I do agree. I know I'm totally biased against him, but whatever. At this point I can't stand to see Lukas and his frickin self-conscious preening and posing and grinning into the cameras. He's a big fat phony! [/that Family Guy guy]

Quote Originally Posted by ginger2 View Post
    Also, is it just me, or does he remind anyone else of a young (punk style) Marlon Brando with a little Mick Jagger thrown in for attitude?
    I totally agree with you on the younger but even uglier Marlon Brando vibe.

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar
    Lukas, especially in the online bit of his personal rehearsal of Creep, reminded me of a young Wolfman Jack howling at the moon. Interesting but slightly scary.

I think, though I now see Lukas as a vulnerable young man with potential problems to overcome, I'm drawn more to Magni. The singing while on his back was different - the front of stage girls didn't know what to make of it - but he recovered nicely and finished by giving me chills.
    Last edited by Arielflies; 08-20-2006 at 11:53 AM.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
    I agree...

I had almost the opposite reaction, listening to Magni's version after Lukas', although I like Magni too much (and certainly more than Lukas) to use the same description about his version. I'll just leave it at "bland".

Vocally, Magni is superior but watching the performances several times, back-to-back-to-back, my brother, sister-in-law and I all seemed to agree that Marty and Lukas performed "Creep" better than Magni.

+ Reply to Thread