+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: 8/16 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

FORT Regular
    Still haven't made up my mind about Lucus. I liked his version of creep better than Magni's, but I can't understand much of what he sings and his range and vocal qualities seem a little weak compared to some of the other contenders. Also, is it just me, or does he remind anyone else of a young (punk style) Marlon Brando with a little Mick Jagger thrown in for attitude?

I really hated that Supernova song last night. Don't get me wrong, Dilana sang very well and she was fine on stage. I agree with whomever said it sounded like a B side of an 80's record. I think Magni would have brought a more modern rock edge to it. From what they showed of them in the studio, Magni's vocals stood out to me. I love Lukas, but I didn't think the song suited him.

Patrice's singing really rubs me the wrong way. It's got to be the key she's singing in because it always sounds to me like she's singing wrong notes. I think she totally sucked last night.

I love Dilana's voice, but the more I watch her the more unoriginal I think her singing is. The woman's got a heart of gold, though, and she shed tears during Magni's "Creep" which just made me want to hug her (I had a similar reaction). I like both Magni's and Lukas's version of the song. Sure, Lukas had intensity, but Magni had a message and sold it with emotion.

Ryan with the encore???? I've always hated that song, and I thought he did a passable job with it, but certainly not nearly enough to win the encore. Ugh.

G'ma to Audrey and Nathan winelover's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723 View Post
    Thank you. There was so much subtlety in Magni's version. I guess subtlety doesn't play in rawk ?
    I agree. That's the first time I actually liked that song, although I liked Marty's version last year.

About time Z was finally sent packing. Now if only Patrice (glad to see that someone else thinks of her as soccer mom) and Ryan will only follow with Lukas (too weird) shortly behind.

Final 4 - Dilana, Storm, Toby, and Magni.

The eyes says everything quangtran's Avatar
    Ryan and Patrice should consider swapping facial expressions. She would stop smiling so much, while he can ease up on that faux-intensity thing.

I still can’t wrap my brain around how the song turned out so bad. During the songwriting test, all the rockers (except Dilana, ironically enough) wrote a better tune and lyrics than “Leave the Lights On”. Both Phil and Jenny had having doubts about this whole venture, and I'm sure a few others feel the same way, especially after that song.

JR.
    Quote Originally Posted by jasmar View Post
    The one thing Patrice has going for her is her voice. She's been one of the few, from the beginning, with the vocal chops to do this. But her weird, soccer mom image and lack of stage presence doom her.
    I think it's her lack of stage presense that's the biggest problem. She has talent, a nice voice, good looks, and doesn't appear nervous on stage. But, she almost looks bored when performing, sort of like just going through the motions as if it was a rehersal.

☆ Janie Queen of BB cottoncandy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Krom View Post
    Newsted comes off as a bit stuck up. Gilby has been on stage, what? 4 times, if you include the group performance? And Tommy 3 times.

Maybe Newsted feels that the Supernova group performances will be enough, rather than him having to bother to practice other songs.
    I wonder what the deal is with him? It's just bass, after all. I will laugh if he does a bass solo - always love those. *CRRRUSH IT!*

I saw a rockumentary about Metallica and they were really mean to Jason Newsted when he came into the group, and they never seemed to really warm to him. So maybe he got his prickly side from dealing with those guys.

My guess for Final 4 - Dilana, Storm, Toby and Lukas!

Magni is a family guy. I just can't see Supernova bring a family man into the fold as the new frontman. Too much time needs to be dedicated. That's not to say that Magni isn't good. I just don't think he will make it that far.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723 View Post
    So if it isn't screamed, it's safe and bland? I thought it was very emotional and heartfelt. I have to admit, I've never heard the song before. When Lukas sang it, I couldn't understand a thing he was saying other than he was a creep and weirdo (which I kinda got a long time ago ). Magni nearly brought me to tears with his version, it was so much more believable to me than Lukas' But I think Lukas would be a better fit for this band - I think there's more substance to Magni and he deserves a better gig.
    Normally, you'd be right about Lukas screaming but that didn't happen on this song. Plus, his enunciation of the lyrics was extremely clear. And I usually really dislike Lukas' singing so I'm certainly not cutting him any slack.

Personally, I prefer Magni overall and have liked his vocal style. However, when it comes down to ranking the Creep covers, I find Lukas' rendition much more compelling. Different strokes and all, I guess. Btw, I like Marty's version best by a hair.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post
    My guess for Final 4 - Dilana, Storm, Toby and Lukas!

Magni is a family guy. I just can't see Supernova bring a family man into the fold as the new frontman. Too much time needs to be dedicated. That's not to say that Magni isn't good. I just don't think he will make it that far.
    The SN guys are not exactly wild rock stars anymore. Even for Tommy, his best party animal years are behind him. And I seriously doubt that Supernova as a band will be quite as dedicated to touring as a hungry up'n'coming twenty-something band.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingrrrl View Post
    UGH! NUH-UH!!! You can make them worse than the original.... didn't YOU see Jill this season!!!!
    Nah... it didn't sound worse...but it certainly looked worse!

+ Reply to Thread