+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: 8/16 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

I started out not liking Zayra and ending up liking her. Her original song (even though I don't understand Spanish) proved to me she could sing beautifully. I agree, though, it was time for her to go, because she was definitely not right for this band. I wish her well, I hope something good comes out of this for her.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723 View Post
    Thank you. There was so much subtlety in Magni's version. I guess subtlety doesn't play in rawk ?
    Like many others, I didn't like Magni's version of Creep as much as I did Lukas'. Magni does have a very good voice and is a good performer, but his voice is better suited to more passionless songs, like those of David Bowie. Songs like Creep and Satisfaction require more raw energy and naked emotion, and that doesn't necessarily mean a pretty voice.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

So if it isn't screamed, it's safe and bland? I thought it was very emotional and heartfelt. I have to admit, I've never heard the song before. When Lukas sang it, I couldn't understand a thing he was saying other than he was a creep and weirdo (which I kinda got a long time ago ). Magni nearly brought me to tears with his version, it was so much more believable to me than Lukas' But I think Lukas would be a better fit for this band - I think there's more substance to Magni and he deserves a better gig.
    Magni's version did bring me to tears. And mine weren't the only wet eyes...Dilana was also crying. I liked Storm's attitude standing with the five - ready to fight! I'm glad her fan base rallied. I really don't understand why Magni fell into the bottom 3. I thought he did a wonderful job with his perfomance - though the white suit was reminiscent of the original singer who was the "Man Who Fell to Earth." Also - in the video online, he helped convince Ryan to give up the original song by playing In the Air on the piano and singing along (I thought his voice much more suited for that song than Ryan's.) First week I thought Magni was awful...now - I really, really like him.

Talk about over-performing a song. I'm excited that Supernova is debuting their tracks with vocals over the next few weeks - this is soooo great for the singers - but what was with the slithering dancers? I have a feeling they were a Tommy Lee Project and not appropriate for this venue. Dilana proved she can front the band and performed her usual stage magic even when she had creepy females surrounding her.

Sorry, Zayra, it was finally time to say goodbye.

Quote Originally Posted by RushVB View Post
    Was anyone else annoyed by the different production visually when Dilanna sang with the band?

Way too choppy, video-feel as compared to the normal live performances. I know it's all pre-taped and all, but didn't like the jumping around camera work...
    Yep, Rush! It felt off from the rest of the show with the way it was edited/produced (whatever). Seemed like they were trying to make it into a concert video type production, but it just felt all wrong coming from my tv. Maybe it's cause I've gotten used to this show being put on the screen a certain way and wasn't expecting it, but it did bug the heck out of me while it was going on.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blues Songstres View Post
    Dave: "Sorry to see you go. You know you have delivered some of the most compelling performances that this show has seen in its two seasons. Hands down. And total starpower. You're gonna do fine. You're totally compelling." The part of Dave's statement that didn't make it to air was that she should put together all of her RockStar performances and take them to a record company today and she should have a contract.
    Thanks Blues Songstres, I am sooooooooooooooo bummed I missed Magni's performance and Z's goodbye. It sounds like she handled it with class. And that was nice of Dave to give her a nice verbal pat on the back. I'll miss her.

Finally watched two of the performances from last night...I'm always playing catch up since I can never watch the show as it airs. I thought Magni did a great job with Creep. It was very different from Lukas' version, which I also loved. For me, Magni was a little better vocally, but Lukas injects personality and drama into the song, making me believe he does feel like a creep, that he is a weirdo. That song needs that drama, IMO, and he pulled it off very well. Magni, on the other hand, nailed the vocals and I really enjoyed watching him. It's like two totally different songs to me, and I enjoyed both.

The SN song, however? Blew all kinds of chunks. Blech. If that is what they mean when they say they want to produce something new and modern, then someone needs to tell them it's actually 2006 and not 1986. It was cringe-worthy, sorry. On another site I read at (but do not post, my heart belongs to FORT!) one of the producers of the show wrote a very long and heartfelt defence of the SN track, as a song that brings the fun back to rock-n-roll, but not a lot of people wanted to agree. To most, it just SUCKED.

So if it isn't screamed, it's safe and bland? I thought it was very emotional and heartfelt. I have to admit, I've never heard the song before. When Lukas sang it, I couldn't understand a thing he was saying other than he was a creep and weirdo (which I kinda got a long time ago ).
    We need a choking on your morning tea smilie. I don't want to get into the Lukas bashing, because I see him as more a tragic figure with huge defenses than a complete ass, but that made me giggle.

I missed Magni's performance last night. Now I have to admit that I loathe that song. It's one of those "poor me, I'm such a whiny loser-boy" songs from the 90s that has always made me want to scream out "GROW A SET, MAN!" But I did appreciate L's version, and knowing how much I've been enjoying Magni's performances, I wish I could have seen it.
    Token Christian.

If truth is relative, how do you know?

I got home from the taping only to discover that there was a major power outage in my neighborhood. So I headed out for the afternoon and only just got home -- with power thankfully restored.
    glad to hear all is well.

I want a shirt like Brooke's!!!

and i am also *whispers* sorta sad to see Z go.... but admit that it was her time to do so. IMO, Patrice will go next and it wouldn't have been fair to have P go before Z.

☆ Janie Queen of BB cottoncandy's Avatar
    Did not like Supernova's new song. I had thought that Z should have stuck around for 1 or 2 more weeks before it got down to the really good people, but apparently Supernova had enough of Z's entertainment. Patrice will probably go next week, and then it is going to get harder to lose people.

When is Jason Newsted going to be the song choice? I bet he will get Lukas.

Quote Originally Posted by cottoncandy View Post
    When is Jason Newsted going to be the song choice? I bet he will get Lukas.
    Newsted comes off as a bit stuck up. Gilby has been on stage, what? 4 times, if you include the group performance? And Tommy 3 times.

Maybe Newsted feels that the Supernova group performances will be enough, rather than him having to bother to practice other songs.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

+ Reply to Thread