+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Week 7 song list**Spoilers**

  1. #1
    FORT Fanatic OriginalSinner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    783

    Week 7 song list**Spoilers**

    A stripped down show

    Zayra – Lluvia De Mar (an original song written by her)
    Magni – Starman (Bowie)
    Patrice – Message in a Bottle (Police)
    Lukas – Hero (Chad Kroeger)
    Storm – I Will Survive (Cake/Gloria Gaynor)
    Toby – Solsbury Hill (Peter Gabriel) – with Gilby
    Ryan – In the Air Tonight (Phil Collins)
    Dilana – Cat’s in the Cradle (Harry Chapin)

  2. #2
    Scrappy Spartan Broadway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    18,963
    What's with Storm getting all of these 70s and 80s revamps? Dilana's pick is just going to sound like a "Ring of Fire" redux. And how was Zayra allowed to pick one of her own songs this week? Is the fact that we're not going to be able to compare her song to the original going to help her or hurt her?

    Not a big fan of these choices.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

  3. #3
    <3 Lauren/Anya <3 Kaizen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Age
    23
    Posts
    2,662
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadway View Post
    What's with Storm getting all of these 70s and 80s revamps? Dilana's pick is just going to sound like a "Ring of Fire" redux. And how was Zayra allowed to pick one of her own songs this week? Is the fact that we're not going to be able to compare her song to the original going to help her or hurt her?

    Not a big fan of these choices.
    I mean everyone is entitled to an opinion but i dont think you shoudl assume that of her........ or anyone until youve heard them. also i think it will help zayra by her actually hsowing the guys of SN that she can sing in tune.

  4. #4
    FORT Fanatic OriginalSinner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    783
    Oh ! Toby played the bongos and Zayra played her guitar.

  5. #5
    Wild thang Rattus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    In the trees
    Age
    53
    Posts
    6,910
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaizen View Post
    I mean everyone is entitled to an opinion but i dont think you shoudl assume that of her........ or anyone until youve heard them. also i think it will help zayra by her actually hsowing the guys of SN that she can sing in tune.
    What good is it if she's only capable of singing in tune on something she wrote herself? I'm pretty sure they don't want to be Zayra's studio musicians.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

  6. #6
    <3 Lauren/Anya <3 Kaizen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Age
    23
    Posts
    2,662
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    What good is it if she's only capable of singing in tune on something she wrote herself? I'm pretty sure they don't want to be Zayra's studio musicians.
    well i guess it would show them that she actually can sing. and maybe they would appreciate her musically more. i think her accent plays a big deal in her not singing other people's songs good.

  7. #7
    Wild thang Rattus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    In the trees
    Age
    53
    Posts
    6,910
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaizen View Post
    well i guess it would show them that she actually can sing. and maybe they would appreciate her musically more. i think her accent plays a big deal in her not singing other people's songs good.
    It's not her accent, it's that she's frequently flat and/or off key. I've heard non-English speaking people sing English songs phonetically and remain on key. That's because they can actually sing.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

  8. #8
    Scrappy Spartan Broadway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    18,963
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaizen View Post
    well i guess it would show them that she actually can sing. and maybe they would appreciate her musically more. i think her accent plays a big deal in her not singing other people's songs good.
    I don't understand how you think this will help her? She's auditioning to front a band that will undoubtedly do many covers, right along with their own original songs. The only thing that singing her own songs will do is not allow the band to be able to compare her voice to the original. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it certainly isn't going to help her inability to sing a song in tune and not go flat.

    Toby, Magni, and Dilana all have strong accents and they can carry a tune.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

  9. #9
    FORT Biscuit VeronicaBelle27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Doing a lap before I commit to a location
    Posts
    792
    I actually like this song list, can't wait to see how this week's show plays out.

    What is up with Zayra performing her own song, and everyone else doing covers? Is that the producer's way of ensuring she stays out of the bottom 3by making us think she's captured a signifcant percentage of the audience vote by singing her own song? This is a producer's idea, not the band's. Or alternatively, this is a way to ensure she goes home. Hmmm.... maybe a potential fast-switch when everyone thinks Patrice is going home for being too Pop again? Message in a Bottle really not the way for her to go right now.

    My idea on the posts above is that it is not her accent that hinders her but two things:

    She does not understand the concept of phrasing. There are ways to interpret song lyrics that are different from the original, by stressing different words, or dropping off and building in different spots, and then there are ways that are completely wrong.

    Also, she can't sing in tune, and sounds flat most of the time.

    I wandered into this particular thread wanting to see the song rundown for the week, and I'm really pleased. But I don't want to be party to a whole round of Zayra-bashing, but just putting in my two cents.
    Last edited by VeronicaBelle27; 08-14-2006 at 11:23 AM.
    Could does not mean should

  10. #10
    On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Right behind you
    Posts
    5,063
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadway View Post
    I don't understand how you think this will help her? She's auditioning to front a band that will undoubtedly do many covers, right along with their own original songs.
    She knows she's not going to be fronting this band. BUT, doing well/getting a lot of publicity can help her land a record deal here and launch a U.S. solo career. I think that's why she's not really bothering with "crushing it"--it's not her forte and won't help her get in the band anyhow.

    Quote Originally Posted by VeronicaBelle27 View Post
    What is up with Zayra performing her own song, and everyone else doing covers?
    Just like on last season, the band/producers are waiting to see who was willing to fight for the right to sing their original, and Zayra won in this instance. They all had the same chance, just like they all had the same chance on who would get to sing the song that Gilby is going to back up this time. They do it for drama.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.