+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Week 7 song list**Spoilers**

Doing a lap before I commit to a location
    Oh... I read the online episode thread, and I realize this now. Ooops.

I wonder how much fighting went on between Zayra and Ryan, and if they were the only ones who wanted to do their original.

I don't get to see the online eps. I wish they would do what they did last season, and have a "house show" at the very least on VH1 (or any other channel) instead of only putting it online where most cannot access, or watch it even if they can access it.
    Could does not mean should

I hadn't seen that it was part of a "competition" this week either, VeronicaBelle. I've watched only part of one of those episodes..oops.

But it still doesn't change my previous comments. It'll help that she fought for her original, but only if her original is any good. We'll see what LAGuy has to say.

Quote Originally Posted by LoisLane
    She knows she's not going to be fronting this band. BUT, doing well/getting a lot of publicity can help her land a record deal here and launch a U.S. solo career. I think that's why she's not really bothering with "crushing it"--it's not her forte and won't help her get in the band anyhow.
    I'll refrain from going much further on the Zayra bashing, too since that wasn't the original intent or tone of my first post..... but I really don't think Zayra's doing herself any favors unless she's looking for more William Hung-style publicity.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Quote Originally Posted by OriginalSinner View Post
    A stripped down show

Zayra – Lluvia De Mar (an original song written by her)
    Magni – Starman (Bowie)
    Patrice – Message in a Bottle (Police)
    Lukas – Hero (Chad Kroeger)
    Storm – I Will Survive (Cake/Gloria Gaynor)
    Toby – Solsbury Hill (Peter Gabriel) – with Gilby
    Ryan – In the Air Tonight (Phil Collins)
    Dilana – Cat’s in the Cradle (Harry Chapin)
    Well, if that's not a death knell for Patrice...

I'm not loving Dilana's choice but as far as I'm concerned, she could sing the phone listings and still sound good.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that Storm will do something interesting with I Will Survive.

Weird, weird choice for Lukas - I'm having a very hard time picturing him singing a hard rock anthem. This could be ugly.

And Toby better do justice to Peter Gabriel - the one song in this week's list that I love.
    Last edited by AJane; 08-14-2006 at 12:42 PM. Reason: shouldn't make up words!
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Cat's in the Cradel is a big mistake for Dilana. Some songs can transend gender, but not this one. It is a song about a Dad singing to his son about missed opportunities. It is very gender specific and I don't think she has anything to gain by taking this on.

I wish Storm had not taken I Will Survive. It is a very over the top song in and of itself. I think she could hit it out of the park, but don't think that it adds anything to her existing rep. And there is huge opportunity for her to turn herself inside out not to be showy and screw it all up.

Z singing a origional song? Whatever, either it will be very good or very bad. Leaning towards planet pluto, but who knows.

I love Solsbury Hill, Toby please don't screw it up. I like you dude, but can't picture you singing. Magni would have been a nicer fit.
    "How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his friend. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame... for one person. In the dark. Where no one will ever know or see." - Sebastion, Babylon 5

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadway View Post
    I'll refrain from going much further on the Zayra bashing, too since that wasn't the original intent or tone of my first post..... but I really don't think Zayra's doing herself any favors unless she's looking for more William Hung-style publicity.
    I will say that her best performances were when she had her pick of songs when she "sang for her life" (as Brooke melodramatically says) when she was in the Bottom 3...so maybe this original will actually prove to be to her benefit (in terms of someone from the recording industry hearing it and wanting to sign her).

But it sounds like the song's going to be sung in Spanish, non? I would guess that SuperNova would cut her after this performance. (Last season, I really liked Jordis' original song that she wrote with Marty--but INXS didn't seem too thrilled with it--so who knows?! )

I hate to see Ryan atonally screech his way through the Phil Collins… That's one of the two PC songs I love. But it takes someone with a little depth to do it right.

I can see Toby doing Salisbury Hill. I still haven't forgiven the fool who turned it into an ad (for what?? I don't even remember). It will be a good test for Toby. If he can plug into the sweet longing of the lyrics without getting sappy in the delivery, it'll be amazing. I think it's a hard song to do well.

I wish Patrice didn't have the Police. I want to see someone with some edge do it. Storm would have been fun.
    Token Christian.

If truth is relative, how do you know?

JR.
    Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    I'll keep my fingers crossed that Storm will do something interesting with I Will Survive.
    I am very worried about my girl with this song. It will be tough to come up with a decent "stripped down" arrangement.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12