+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1516171819202122232425

Thread: 8/08 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

JR.
    Quote Originally Posted by SQUATMAN View Post
    Lukas makes one snarky comment after week one and he gets a life sentence from some of you. Give TrollBoy a break.

He was right. Some of them don't belong there. Zayra heads the list. Followed by Chris, Jenny.....Matt and Phil ..... Dana and Josh. Haven't we slammed every one of them, too? I know I have.

So Lukas was just being honest, to their faces. In my book, that doesn't make him a bad guy for life. Mean? Maybe. As it turns out, he really isn't all that tough and nasty.
    For me, it has nothing to do with his comments, I just don't think he's as great a singer as some others do. He's not bad, when I can understand him, he just doesn't stand out IMO. To me, he comes off as a poseur, from his "look", to the way he moves on stage.

Finally watched the show, late as usual. After tonight's performances, I can only say Magni is now my frontrunner to take this thing. His performance gave me goosebumps, his voice was strong, great, and I loved the acoustic guitar. He was awesome.

I thought Lukas did a great job with Creep. Very, very hard song to sing and I loved what he did with it. Not as good as the original, obviously, but he nailed it on the show and I'm glad he proved to Dilana that he can "put up." I am not sure he will win this thing, but that's ok by me as I think he can have a great career without these dinosaurs standing behind him.

Color me shocked, but I actually didn't mind Zayra's ATYD. I was busy most the performance, however, wondering how in the world she put those boots on while wearing that outfit.

Ryan? What in the name of all that is good was THAT? I thought his performance and his vocals were horrible, he looked so cheesy. It made me think immediately of Zoolander, and I just burst out laughing. Yuck. He can get his brooding butt off my tv, pronto.

I hated Jill's performance. Toby was OK. Josh? Not bad but so clearly NOT RIGHT for this band. Patrice? She can cover herself in earrings and tatoos and she still comes across as a soccer mom to me. Her smiling during the songs is really off-putting and I thought her performance was boring. Storm did fairly well, but WATC is a VERY hard song to sing. She kicked JD and Jordis' asses though. I personally am not as enamored of Dilana as some others are, and her 2-pack-a-day voice makes me wince sometimes. She did a good job, but she's not my favorite by any means.

Great recap Speedbump. And thank you to all the Recappers and Mr. Spoiler, LAGuy. Your enthusiasm, humor, and wit come through and I am very appreciative of it because I keep saying “Yeah, that’s right” and especially “I wish I had thought of that” throughout your posts.

It's great how passionate everyone is. I am admitting looking forward to every episode and the postings here. These are my thoughts for some of the auditioners up through this performance:

Dilana: The most natural performer of the bunch, it's hard not to keep looking at her when she's on stage. She seems to put a great deal of thought into each of her performances. Not a pure or sweet singer by any means but she conveys her feelings and interprets the songs her way every time. Too good for Supernova but I would like to see her use it as a stepping stone to something greater. Ok, I really like her!

Storm: The best pure singer. She won me over when she stepped into "Changes" and hit gold. I don't think Sn will pick her, but I hope she goes far.

Magni: I have liked him from the get-go. His performance this week showed new confidence on the stage and really set him apart from the pack. And his change-up, going electric for his encore, was brilliantissima. The other singer who is too good for Sn but what do all of you think of him as the singer for the House Band? And speaking of…

House Band: Loving them every time. Although I don’t care much for Toby, the Band seemed to be having a great time playing his song.

Lukas: Still not singing so much as gutteral wailing in his performances and again with the spastic movements on stage. But he is also the only other performer who is riveting while on stage.

Zayra: As everyone has surmised, she is a performance artist rather than a singer for a band. I know I will receive a lot of wrath and vitriole for this, but I LOVED her performance this week. In my defense, I have to fess up and admit that I grew up during the glam rock era and still give my vinyl a spin now and then. I saw Mott the Hoople before they were semi-popular and Ian Hunter (with Mick Ronson) later in the seventies. I have heard “All the Young Dudes” many times and in many ways but Zayra’s performance brought a quality to the song that Ian Hunter could never have captured. Her costuming, including the platform boots and top hat, were a wonderful homage to the era. I’m glad she has lasted this long because her interpretation of a well-known and well-worn song was a treat for me. And the House Band – once again – provided outstanding musicianship and backing vocals. That being said, Zayra has destroyed all her other songs with her poor arrangements and awkward moves on stage. For me, she has had her moment and needs to leave.

The Rest: Forgettable. Go home now.

just when you escape... raisingrrrl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Baig View Post
    The Rest: Forgettable. Go home now.
    Welcome to the FORT!

But, you forgot about Toby... he's pretty darned talented!

Thank you for the welcome, raisingrrrl. It’s always nice to hear from someone who shares a cold climate. Who needs to travel for skiing!

As you discovered, I carefully avoided specifics on the other contestants. I know Toby has many admirers so I hope to not make you too mad at me. In my defense, I did not see the first two weeks of Rockstar, where I understand Toby put in some dynamite performances, including an encore. I’m sorry I missed them and can only evaluate him on his performances since. Toby’s voice has gone missing on some of his songs. I don’t know if there is a problem with the engineering of the sound mix but he has been buried under the music. He has yet to rearrange his songs to make them his own. His versions are often similar to the originals. I thought ‘White Wedding’ would have been that chance and he missed it. I see the competition as more than – dare I say it – karaoke and I think Supernova does too. Hopefully Sn will see the winner of the competition as a real partner in the group and allow for true collaborative efforts in their music. Toby seems less comfortable on that stage than some of the other contestants. I would be too, because there is such a difference between controlling your destiny when you are in your own group versus hoping someone will tap you as the new “it”. Toby is an attractive man and who wouldn’t want that accent. I actually like Toby and am glad he doesn’t come across as a jerk off-camera and I wish him well in the future. But I don’t think he is what Sn is looking for and will be happily surprised if he makes it to last three.

It’s funny to think that I have given this much time and thought to all of the contestants I have seen. And without question, I prefer watching and listening to all of them, even the losers, to any of the snowflakes on American Idol, a show I have yet to watch and have no interest in.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Welcome Baig!

Quote Originally Posted by Baig View Post
    As you discovered, I carefully avoided specifics on the other contestants. I know Toby has many admirers so I hope to not make you too mad at me.
    Hey Baig, welcome! And don't worry about stating your opinion. I'm one of the few who really likes Zayra here, and as much as people dislike her and make fun of her, no one has been cruel to me on here because of my opinion. We're a pretty opinionated, but usually civil bunch of people! Loved hearing your thoughts. Again,

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    Baig, another welcome, and to put you at ease, I just wanted to let you know that you're not alone. I've seen every episode (including the house episodes) and I think that Toby is as dull as dish-water. He can carry a tune, certainly, but his presentation leaves much to be desired and I have a tendency to forget his existence sometimes. So there you are, no matter what your opinion is, there is always at least one FORTer who will agree with you .
    Ditto. I think Toby seems like a really nice, sweet guy and that he did a really good rendition of a Killers song earlier on. But he's rather dull (for my tastes). Besides, he has so many fans that us not really liking him won't make much of an impact! His fans are pretty loyal!
    Last edited by Lois Lane; 08-14-2006 at 11:00 AM. Reason: To add onto my original post

Baig, another welcome, and to put you at ease, I just wanted to let you know that you're not alone. I've seen every episode (including the house episodes) and I think that Toby is as dull as dish-water. He can carry a tune, certainly, but his presentation leaves much to be desired and I have a tendency to forget his existence sometimes. So there you are, no matter what your opinion is, there is always at least one FORTer who will agree with you .
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

+ Reply to Thread