+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: 8/08 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

FORT Newbie
    Thanks, As. Just giving my two cents.

While I'm at it, I'll throw this in. Magni will get the encore tonight.

stuck on an island with creepy ferret faced Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by coolmite View Post
    It isn't her voice or songwriting skills that are killing her (Listen to the lyrics she put to that Supernova song in the webisode and tell me that anyone else's song even came close); it's her stage performance. She doesn't swagger, she doesn't coo, she doesn't play to the audience. That's a problem.

she has nothing to gain by moving on in the competition. SN obviously isn't going to choose her. .....She made it to the Top Ten. She's getting national pub. Her mission is accomplished.
    I think her song writing performance will save her, along with the likelihood that she can beat Zayra in the *cough* sing-off tonight, unless she does something awful like that ho-hum performance from last week's elimination.

She has shown some swagger, but not enough. She's too wide-eyed and smiley during her performances, too cutesy when trying to be sultry. She needs to do what Lukas did to Gilby and shock them. Get a little mean, angry. She needs a WOW performance badly, better than her My iron Lung.

I wouldn't say her mission is accomplished, either. Getting beat out by Zayra and Josh would be embarrassing. It is hard to imagine her changing her stage act this late in the show, and this late in her life, but she has been good enough to be given another week or two.

Great songs this week, but so many letdown performances for me.

The bad, and the meh:

Dilana - she's always great, but I would have far preferred to hear her do Mother, Mother. Her voice, btw, is not comparable to Janis Joplin. I do love Dilana, but she doesn't have the range nor the ability to emote that Janis had in spades.

Jill - uggggh. I've hated her since day 1. Probably the best vocals I've heard out of her, but the stage jump was way too contrived. I was blown away when they saved her last week after that American Idol-y Heart cover she did. But thanks, Dave - now I know who she reminds me of! - Carmela Soprano, indeed.

Ryan - Hated. Every. Minute. To steal a line from another poster on another board, I wish he would just pack up and go back to work at the insurance office already. Again, too contrived and he looked just plain silly with that black makeup smeared across his eyes.

Josh - I want to like him so badly, but...it wasn't his worst performance but he's so out of place on this show it's painful. I generally despise the vocals on all STP covers, but his performance was passable. Such a nice guy...why does he want to be in a band with Tommy Lee???

Patrice - oh, Patrice. She got a great song and did absolutely diddly-squat with it. Very disappointing, after she's shown us what she is capable of.

Storm - I love Storm. I didn't really love her Champions cover. I want the old crazy-eyed, crowd-surfing Storm back - I know she can just stand there and croon and look gorgeous, but it's just not as fun. (Wonder how much SN appreciated her t-shirt, advertising her own band's name?)

Toby - Never a fan of his, but I was really, really liking him last night - and then he pulled out that stupid megaphone. Gimmicky and it just didn't work for the song nor the performance.

Zayra - So shoot me...I like her. I didn't think her performance last night was particularly stand-out, though - no prayer of her escaping bottom 3 tonight.

The good:

Magni - well, colour me surprised. I've never liked him, totally did not get the love for him at all, but I thought he was great last night. I'm not convinced he is the right person for this band, but a really nice job on the Live song.

Lukas - I've been a fan of his from the beginning, but his Radiohead was really outstanding. Mantenna was right, vocally there is no comparison to the original, but somehow Lukas made it amazing. The most deserving of the encore this week by far.

Bottom 3:

I'm afraid it will be the usual suspects...Patrice, Josh, Zayra. I would happily give Patrice another shot and have Jill switch places with her, but I guess Tommy Lee prefers T&A over tats.
    Seems to me the time is ripe for a double elimination? If I had to guess, I would say Josh & Zayra would be in line for it.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    Great songs this week, but so many letdown performances for me.

The bad, and the meh:

Dilana - she's always great, but I would have far preferred to hear her do Mother, Mother. Her voice, btw, is not comparable to Janis Joplin. I do love Dilana, but she doesn't have the range nor the ability to emote that Janis had in spades.

Jill - uggggh. I've hated her since day 1. Probably the best vocals I've heard out of her, but the stage jump was way too contrived. I was blown away when they saved her last week after that American Idol-y Heart cover she did. But thanks, Dave - now I know who she reminds me of! - Carmela Soprano, indeed.

Ryan - Hated. Every. Minute. To steal a line from another poster on another board, I wish he would just pack up and go back to work at the insurance office already. Again, too contrived and he looked just plain silly with that black makeup smeared across his eyes.

Josh - I want to like him so badly, but...it wasn't his worst performance but he's so out of place on this show it's painful. I generally despise the vocals on all STP covers, but his performance was passable. Such a nice guy...why does he want to be in a band with Tommy Lee???

Patrice - oh, Patrice. She got a great song and did absolutely diddly-squat with it. Very disappointing, after she's shown us what she is capable of.

Storm - I love Storm. I didn't really love her Champions cover. I want the old crazy-eyed, crowd-surfing Storm back - I know she can just stand there and croon and look gorgeous, but it's just not as fun. (Wonder how much SN appreciated her t-shirt, advertising her own band's name?)

Toby - Never a fan of his, but I was really, really liking him last night - and then he pulled out that stupid megaphone. Gimmicky and it just didn't work for the song nor the performance.

Zayra - So shoot me...I like her. I didn't think her performance last night was particularly stand-out, though - no prayer of her escaping bottom 3 tonight.

The good:

Magni - well, colour me surprised. I've never liked him, totally did not get the love for him at all, but I thought he was great last night. I'm not convinced he is the right person for this band, but a really nice job on the Live song.

Lukas - I've been a fan of his from the beginning, but his Radiohead was really outstanding. Mantenna was right, vocally there is no comparison to the original, but somehow Lukas made it amazing. The most deserving of the encore this week by far.

Bottom 3:

I'm afraid it will be the usual suspects...Patrice, Josh, Zayra. I would happily give Patrice another shot and have Jill switch places with her, but I guess Tommy Lee prefers T&A over tats.
    Seems to me the time is ripe for a double elimination? If I had to guess, I would say Josh & Zayra would be in line for it.
    Wow, we saw last night completely differently. I thought it was a great performance from Dilana, even compared to her usual. Vocally it was maybe only an 7/10 on the Dilana scale, but she proved to me she has the performing presense to perform with anyone. Tommy could have been up there just as easily as Gilby, or all of them for that fact, and Dilana STILL would have been the one I was looking at. Compare it to Josh this week, or Patrice last week. I kept looking at Tommy's blurry image over their shoulders. Seriously.

As for Jill, she won't and shouldn't win this show. But the fact that she CAN sing so well has impressed me enough to forgive her for her other antics. I mean she's not like Zayra, who is only entertaining as a freakshow--Jill is the exact reverse, entertaining when she's NOT a freakshow.

I can't disgree at all with your takes on Ryan, Josh and Patrice. They've all "proved" to me they don't belong in front of a band like this, if any.

Gotta strongly disagree about Storm. In my mind, like with Jill, when she stops the theatrics she's the most focused, and the best. Of ALL songs in the world. "We Are The Champions" is perhaps the easiest to make over-theatrical (ah, well, maybe "Bohemian Rhapsody" beats it). And I SO respect her for not giving in to temptation and doing so. What might have been a gimmick performance was just beautiful because of it.

As for Toby? Yeah. The megaphone has got to go. But I can't come down TOO hard on him for it.

As for Zayra, I really completely loathe her crap every week, but for me last night was the best of the worst. At least she sang, well... during the parts of that song which aren't just talking. I was ALMOST entertained, but even so I recognize it was part of a freakshow and not a real rock act.

Magni? I can recall really disliking him in Week 1, but its true he's made us forget that. Should he win this show? No. But I hope he gets a nice career boost from this.

I've always liked Lukas' act, arrogant @ss that he is, and last night just proved he's got a few more aspects to him than most assumed. He, Storm, Toby and Dilana all seem to be equally viable choices for a winner for this show, even if I think Dilana has been most consistent, other than that song-writing disaster.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Doing a lap before I commit to a location
    Last Night's Show:

Dilana, Won't Get Fooled Again: Woo! I really liked this! I think she's wonderful, like most posters on the board, but I have to disagree that she has this wrapped. I liked this performance to kick off the night, it would have seemed incongrous to shove it in the middle somewhere, just like it was incongrous not to have Lukas' Creep be last. Great job on the performance with Gilby, Dilana! Sure showed the others how that's done! My ranking? Number 5.

Jill, Mother, Mother: Eeeps. I love this song. Love it. I don't love Jill, really don't. Extremely contrived stage performance, and not in a good way, it's acceptable when the contrivance...works! Vocally, not great either. I don't think it was true to the original, the original is screamy in specific parts, Jill was screamy throughout. Also, when I notice the outfit (WTF?) more than your performance, it means trouble. Hopefully she remains in the bottom 3. Again! My rank: Number 9.

------ okay, i keep forgetting the order of performances----

Zayra, All The Young Dudes: One of her better performances, but that of course, is like saying some Japanese Water Torture is worse than the guillotine. I've got what I don't like about her down to a science: She sings flat, she doesn't understand the key element of phrasing AT ALL, she uses her looks for effect but is not cute enough to pull that off, all together with her horrendous attitude and she's making the credibility of the show really suffer. Should've been kicked off week one. Number 10.

Josh, Interstate Love Song: Good. Did a slightly better job standing in front of Tommy than Patrice did, even with being planted by the guitar. It was okay. But ranked mediocre to bad for me. He will probably hit the bottom 3, and depending on what SN/The Producers decree about Zayra and Jill, will either stick around one or two more weeks, or go tonight. Vica's rank: Number 7.

Patrice, Instant Karma: One of my early favorites (not to win, but just to stick around a good while) has hit such a run of bad luck. She saves herself with the results show performances, but I think she'll find herself in that predicament again tonight. She just is not an audience favorite, and doesn't do anything to get in the good graces (having a killer performance, displaying some other attribute) that gets the phones picked up. Did not do a good job on this song. Very bubble-gum performance of such a wonderful composition, very AI. I put it at number 8.

Ryan, Paint It Black: Woooooooooo! MY boyfriend (and I don't think anyone is trying to steal him here at the FORT--more for me!) rocked one of my all-time top 5 favorite songs ever (yes, i actually have such a list typed out and saved for posterity). I loved the theatrics! When they work, they work, and they worked for me, and they worked for the band!! Great vocals, great stage presence, great job. The only thing that could have made this any better in my eyes is if one of Supernova was on stage behind him. Number 3, sadly, Lukas and Magni were even better, i feel so disloyal giving him a number 3 when he did so well.

Storm, We are the Champions: Regardless of last week's toned down to perfection performance of Changes, this was still a refreshingly clean change of pace, devoid of any theatrics or antics that would normally accompany this choice. It still shows versatility, and good judgement. Great job girl, and I still maintain she has an excellent shot of winning the WDT. Sadly, ranked number 4, this night is just too good.

Magni, The Dolphin's Cry: Excellent. As I said in another thread, I've transcribed and framed the lyrics to this song. I've seen Live play live more times than I could ever begin to count, most recently about a month ago. He rocked it!!!!! My only complaint is that the most precious part of the song is the slow build. Magni's arrangement didn't leave quite enough building up by deleting two lines of lyrics. I know that they only have-- what, 90 seconds or something--but it could have been done. Oh, well. Still, so great and I think he'll have an encore! Number 2 on my list for the night.

Lukas, Creep! EEeeeeee! I actually screeched that at the end of this, bet my upstairs neighbor wondered what was going on (hockey isn't on in the summer, no reason for me to be shreiking like that) I loved it. The wobbly falsetto was fine, no one's expecting him to sound like Thom, and it did work for the song. It was great to hear him open his mouth and sing. I loved the little wink at the end as he sang "I don't belong here". Yes he does, and he knows it, and he wants you to know that he knows it! Vica's ranking--Number 1.

Toby, Burning Down the House. I would have put this in the lineup after Dilana's (start us rocking, keep it going, and put Lukas' last. That being said, this was real good. I cringed when I saw the megaphone come out, but it worked pretty well. Good job, but in my rankings for the night, he comes in at number 6.
    Last edited by VeronicaBelle27; 08-09-2006 at 06:30 PM.
    Could does not mean should

FORT Fan
    Hi Everyone! I have not posted on this board since lasts summer's Rockstar. But finally have become inspired to do so.I really enjoy appreciate and enjoy reading everyones posts. This is my escape from my daily work reality,and the problems in the world.
    It has taken me a while to form a opinion about all the rockers. I do not have as strong a preference for anyone, as I did about last years singers. I think that Dilana has the best stage presence,confidence and is a natural performer. But I wonder what her range is vocally. Can she sing with a clearer, purer quality ,that Storm demonstrated last week in "Changes"? I like Dilana's performances,but her voice sounds like she smokes way too many cigarettes.
    I have had mixed feelings about Lukas. This was the first week I was really impressed,and could hear his voice without it sounding garbled.If he can keep it up,then I think he would be right for the band.
    In my opinion Magni has the best voice of anyone. I loved his performance last night. If it was my choice of who I would want to hear with the band it would be Magni. But I guess it depends on what Super Nova's priorities are. Stage presence versus voice,who has the over-all total package.
    I like Storm's voice the best out of all the women,and I think she is a good performer as well. She does come across as being sincere and natural versus both Patrice and Jill whom to me come across as being phoney or awkward ,as in Jill's case. Jill has shown that she is capable of singing without screaming,but is very inconsistent. Patrice's performance last night did not appeal to me at all,including her vocals.Zayra is good for entertainment purposes only. But any band that wants to be taken seriously would not have her fronting them.
    I like Toby,he seems like a good person. I have liked most of his performances. I thought last night was especially good,also because I love Talking Heads. The megaphone did not bug me. David Byrne does alot of waky stuff when he performs.( By the way if any of you are Talking Heads fans you should try to get a copy of a live performance they did called Stop Making Sense,directed by Johnathan Demme. It may not be on DVD. )
    I also think Josh has a nice voice and personality,but is too nice to be right for the band.His laid back style would be better suited for a different type of band.
    Ryan's piano performance last week was really good. His voice is acceptable. But there is something about him that does not seem geniune. Something about him that just really bugs me,not sure why.

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...
    Quote Originally Posted by AsIs View Post
    I don't detest Lukas for the snarky bully that he was in week 1. It is because I can't understand a damn word he is singing.

That's why I gave him props for last night. I could understand MOST of what he was singing and didn't detest his performance. I think many of us anti-Lukasers dislike his garbeled singing more than his attitude. But the two together becomes the whole package. LOL
    That's always been my problem with him as well. This was the first time I really, really liked his performance.

Nothing to do with any of the performances last night, but...
    if I have to hear "give it up for.." "put your hands together for .." or "make some noise for..." one more time, I swear I'll lose it.
    If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men. - St. Francis of Assisi

Someone mentioned that Magni was the first to perform w/o the house band. Actually, Ryan just performed without the house band last week. How quickly you forget!

Top 4 for me will be Dilana, Lukas, Storm and Magni. Who should go now? of course Zayra but Jill and Josh will have to go with her. Patrice, Ryan and Toby are in the middle of the pack.

Dilana can't compose a good song. She flunked that test, therefore she doesn't have it in the bag. SN loved Lukas' composition than everyone else's. I don't know if I just missed it but I don't think they showed Patrice, Zayra, Josh and Storm's performances in the past webisode so not sure how good their song were. I really think Storm will win this but if they like a frontMAN, then I can only see badboy Lukas to front SN.

Actually, Ryan just performed without the house band last week. How quickly you forget!
    Nope. Ryan had Paul from the House Band playing synthesizer (strings).

+ Reply to Thread