+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rock Star - 7/30 Live Performance Report **MAJOR SPOILERS**

Rock Star - 7/30 Live Performance Report **MAJOR SPOILERS**

WOW. Another GREAT show – possibly the best one yet! There’s lots of ground to cover, so I won’t waste any time.

PatriceHigher Ground (Stevie Wonder) – with Tommy on drums
    What a way to start off the show: Mr. Tommy Lee on drums! If you don’t already know, he is just an AMAZING performer – wild, ferocious, and absolutely riveting to watch. So pity poor Patrice. Even with her hair done up in a faux Mohawk, I barely noticed her. Dave, after saying that she did a great job with the vocal, addressed this crucial issue by mentioning to all the Rockers that he thought that 8 of them will literally disappear in front of “this guy". Gilby and Jason, however, were much more complimentary, with Jason calling it a "brave & righteous move" and praising her for "commanding the stage even with that maniac behind you."

JoshSanteria (Sublime)
    Josh decided to “do his own thing” with this reggae tune – he even threw in some beat box – and he sounded great. He was definitely in his element, and got a lot of praise from SN. Dave thought it was a smart move to pick this song instead of Higher Ground, as he felt Josh would’ve been “swallowed up” by it. Tommy loved the way he sang, and Jason applauded Josh’s “musicality”. But Gilby, after admitting that he would buy a CD of Josh, said he wouldn’t buy a Supernova CD with Josh singing on it. He just doesn’t see him in their band.

DilanaCan’t Get Enough (Bad Company)
    Not only did Dilana wipe out memories of the first two performers tonight, she cast her shadow over many that followed. Once again, she was absolutely ASTONISHING. She complained in the video clip that she never gets negative comments or constructive criticism from the judges. But, with performances like this one, what is there to criticize?

Taking her cue from their comments to her last week, she left the stage and moved through the crowd back to the Supernova Pod. After performing half the song there, she was transported back to the stage - (FYI, the dude carrying her is her boyfriend Steve) - where she finished in a blaze of rock glory. The reaction from the crowd was PHENOMENAL - one of the biggest ovations of the season so far. Dave, acknowledging the crowd's thunderous cheers, first says, "You've got a lot of fans." Then he turns to the other Rockers: "It's got to suck to be you guys." He tells her she took an old classic rock song and "KILLED IT! F***in’ AWESOME!" Tommy said it was "tight". But since Dilana was bemoaning the lack of criticism, he had some for her: He said she should've dragged her leather outfit behind a motorcycle for a couple days before putting it on. (She admitted that she'd only bought it yesterday.) Gilby echoed Dave's comments about her taking an old, bluesy rock song and "knocking it out of the park." He also commented how SN keep trying to envision the Rockers performing in front of them, and how Dilana did just that. Jason loved how she played to the crowd, and said she "took everybody into your world."

TobyPennyroyal Tea (Nirvana)
    I wasn’t familiar with this Nirvana song, but I thought Toby sounded really strong on it. But then, I just love the sound of his voice. I had to agree with Dave, however, that it felt anti-climactic coming after Dilana - especially since the Tobester also went down into the audience. (Toby had an intelligent reply, saying that Dilana’s choice to do that in her performance did not change the reasons he wanted to do it in his. Or words to that effect.) Tommy thanked Toby for listening to their input and changing it up every week. Gilby liked his whole, dark “vibe”, but said there wasn’t a lot of melody in the song and really wants him to knock it out of the park next week. Jason was impressed by a “professional quality” they hadn’t seen before in Toby.

Zayra867-5309/Jenny (Tommy Tutone)
    There are really no words to describe Zayra's performance this week. I can’t say it was a trainwreck, because I’m sure they don’t use that antiquated mode of transportation on her planet. First of all, she looked like a demented Wonder Woman, complete with shiny gold gloves and a sheer black cape. Though I’ve frequently enjoyed her other-worldly performances – she strikes me more as a “performance artist” than a “singer” anyway – this one didn’t do it for me. Plus, I didn’t like the punk’d out arrangement of the song. Side note: During her performance, I looked around the crowd. I was one of the only people clapping along and trying to show any enthusiasm. (I am such a dutiful little concert bunny!) But the rest of the audience was DEAD - most likely from shock.

When she was done, Dave asked for a minute "to process what I just saw." They actually went to a commercial break before the judges weighed in with their comments. Dave mentioned the controversy surrounding Phil’s elimination last week, but said that Zayra at least changes it up from week to week. Tommy said she reminded him of Dale Bozzio from Missing Persons. Though Gilby found her performance “compelling”, he said her vocals were off. But all Jason could say was “Wow.”

MagniClocks (Coldplay)
    No sunglasses this week, and Magni sang in a higher register than we are used to hearing from him. I thought he sounded pretty good – and will probably sound even better on TV than in the studio. (He had some trouble singing directly into the mic at times, and so his voice got somewhat lost in the Live mix.) Dave said he was “absolutely great” and did a “fantastic job”. Tommy agreed it was an “excellent performance”. Gilby said that Magni can always be counted on to bring an emotional performance, but now wants him to do "something special" (i.e. flashier). Jason had the highest praise, saying that Magni is “pure talent through & through” and that, for him, he sets the bar for the whole competition. (Hmmm...)

JillDon’t You (Forget About Me) (Simple Minds)
    TRAINWRECK. Jill was really dreadful and came in for the harshest criticism of the night. Dave started off by saying it was “really not that good” and compared it to that moment at a concert where everyone gets up and goes for another beer. (Ouch!) Tommy questioned her on raising the key, saying it was the lower register that made the song sexy to begin with. However, after he said she sang it well, Dave turned to him: “Really? You thought she sang it well?” Gilby agreed with Dave, saying she oversang it and that it was “uncomfortable to listen to.” Jason babbled on about making sure your “translation” of the song does justice to it – or some such thing. Bottom line? Bottom 3, easily.

RyanLosing My Religion (R.E.M.)
    Ryan accompanied himself on the grand piano (with only Paul of the House Band on keyboards.) And he just belted the hell outta the song! Maybe a bit too much for some tastes, but there's no denying his vocal chops on this one. Dave said it was "truly phenomenal" and "beautiful". Tommy talked about a track he wrote for SN on the piano and that he could totally hear Ryan's voice on the track. Gilby liked that Ryan was so dark and moody, and loved the performance. And Jason said it was his best yet, saying that Ryan showed them a power that they had never seen from him before.

LukasCelebrity Skin (Hole)
    Not a great week for Lukas, who delivered a surprisingly sub-par performance. He really seemed uncomfortable during the song, and kept pacing out and back on the stage. As Gilby pointed out, he sang half the song with his back to the audience. (I suspect the backstage cameras will help the home audience get more out of it than the studio audience did.) Dave thought it was his weakest performance so far, but that he’d built up credit over the past weeks. Tommy said he was surprised at the song choice, to which Lukas replied that he thought it was the most like what he sees Supernova doing. Jason asked how things were going with the vocal coach. Lukas said he’s enjoying working with her, but admitted that he didn’t like the softer part of his voice. Jason encouraged him to continue, as he is still “reaching” to hear him.

StormChanges (David Bowie)
    Storm decided to soften things up a little and did a very nice job with Changes. It still looked like she went a little “wild-eyed” at moments, but all-in-all, this was her most controlled performance yet. Dave actually deemed it her best, saying she showed her vulnerability and “sang a great song amazingly well”. Tommy shouted “God Bless David Bowie!” and told her she was “excellent”. Gilby agreed with Dave that it was her best performance to date, and Jason called it “captivating”, saying he would trade her "over-dramatic" performances for this type any day.

DanaBaba O’Riley (The Who)
    I hate doin’ the whole “comparison with last year” thing, but I have to mention how incredible Jordis’ performance of this was back then. There was just no way in hell that Dana could touch it. She’s still working the “Rocker Chick” look; but, if you thought you’ve seen elements of Dilana rubbing off on Dana, this week she reminded me more of Storm (eye movements, etc.) Overall, she was just meh. The guys were kind, but didn’t really say a whole lot. Dave said she sang it “really well”, Gilby said something about her “consistency”, and Jason said he really enjoyed watching her enjoy herself. Tommy, after questioning her on why she chose the song, was impressed with her recounting of the opening chords and opined “There’s hope.”

Predicted Bottom 3:
    Jill
    Zayra
    ? (Probably either Dana or Josh)

Encore prediction:
    Ryan
    Last edited by LAGuy; 07-31-2006 at 08:51 AM.

I just love waking up Mon mornings to find LAGuys spoiler. I almost feel bad for looking and not just watch the show first.
    Thanks for the insight. Especially last week as to the reasons Phil got cut.

Why does Zayra have to ruin good songs every week. Why can't she do a song I hate... like Hole. PLEASE let her be the one to go this time!!!

Thanks for the heads-up, LAGuy! Looks like another good show. And add me to the list of those hoping for Zayra's departure!
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    >>(I am such a dutiful little concert bunny!) But the rest of the audience was DEAD - most likely from shock.<<

LAGuy, thanks so much for your recap of the live experience! You're almost always spot on (and hysterical, our dutiful little concert bunny). Ryan was that good, huh? I would never have guessed it but now I'm curious to see it tomorrow. It seems like Lukas is having a Jordis moment...where all the praise is starting to dwindle and he's kinda falling apart.

Thanks again!

I ABSOLUTELY CAN NOT WAIT TO SEE MR. TOMMY LEE ON DRUMS!!!
    sounds like that will be one of the better highlights of the show....

There are really no words to describe Zayra's performance this week. I canít say it was a trainwreck, because Iím sure they donít use that antiquated mode of transportation on her planet. First of all, she looked like a demented Wonder Woman, complete with shiny gold gloves and a sheer black cape.
    WTF?!?

thanks for the spoilers, LAGuy!

But Gilby, after admitting that he would buy a CD of Josh, said he wouldn’t buy a Supernova CD with Josh singing on it. He just doesn’t see him in their band.
    I love me some honest Gilby.

ACK....... it sounds like, from your report, that we can possibly expect Jill to be booted this week instead of Zayra. Please, dear God, no.

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar
    After reading this I am even more psyched up for Dilana's performance this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway View Post
    ACK....... it sounds like, from your report, that we can possibly expect Jill to be booted this week instead of Zayra. Please, dear God, no.
    Expect the unexpected, I say. Everyone thought Zayra would be heading home each time she was in the Bottom 3. Now with Jill doing a bad performance, she seems likely...which means Z might be heading home. The guys don't seem to pick the worst performance from elimination night (if so, I don't think Chris or Phil would've gone home)--but as an overall collective, sort of.

I don't think would pick either Z or Jill for their singer, so it doesn't matter which one they cut this week. The other will be going home eventually as well. That said, Z is feisty in her retorts to SN and I think they get a kick out of that. Jill always seems like a trapped animal when they criticize her...

Looking for a way out Bubba-Jo-Lyn's Avatar
    Do you think they will ever do a double elimination? That would get rid of both Zayra and Jill in one shot.
    Remember: Mentioning Jesus in your speech: small government. Doing what Jesus asked: big government - Stephen Colbert

Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut the b*tch up with cookies. (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba-Jo-Lyn View Post
    Do you think they will ever do a double elimination?
    I actually think they will do that again (I missed that episode last season when they did it on ROCK STAR: INXS). It would certainly shake things up!

I'm looking forward to Ryan doing the REM song. I'm not a Ryan fan but LAGuy's description sounded pretty good. I know this shouldn't matter, but part of the problem I'm having with this season's guys is I can't stand looking at them. (The girls all look fine.) I wasn't a big JD fan, but he wasn't bad to look at (same for MiG, Marty, Ty, Neal, etc.). And it's not like the guys this season are ugly, per se, I just don't like some of their idiocrancies. Phil (the bobble--although since he's been sent home, that's that) and Josh (the closed eyes, clenched teeth) are OK looking guys, but meh. Ryan's a little on the homely side (I think). Lukas at least has a "look" going on that's interesting to watch...
    Last edited by Lois Lane; 07-31-2006 at 12:05 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast