+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: 7/26 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

This was such a super show! I think Phil was actually a bit better than the other two on the chopping block, but after his comments in the press, there really wasn't a lot of choice. You can't slam the band you're trying out to impress. No second chances on that my man.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

WoW! I am so surprised that Zayra escaped the boot of the 3rd time in a row!!. She did the worst performance last night and also the worst tonight. She thought it was her farewell song so she sang a song that was dear to her therfore didn't even care if SN boots her out. Zayra should have been gone the first time but Chirs got the boot due to being in the bottom 2 twice in a row. Zayra was in the B3 3x for crying out loud and she's not going to escape it next week or the weeks after that. If this was AI she would have been gone. But after reading about LAguys' explanation about Phil's boot then it made sense. However, I would have booted both of them because SN should know that people are so tired of Zayra's crappy performances for 2x in a week!

Oh well, guess we have to suffer two more song next week from the dreaded Zayra. She will be the worst singer again for the first night and she will be the worst singer too on elimination round. Hopefully SN gets the message and she gets the cut. I'm surprised Patrice got was in the B3. I think being 1st to sing was a factor because Josh and Jill were worst than her, especially Josh who was the 2nd worst last night.

Anyway, i'm casting my top 3. Dilana, Storm, and Lucas. Each of these guys bring something totally different that people wants to see more of. All others are bland. Like you've seen the types before.

Top 5: Dilana, Storm, Lucas, Magni, Patrice
    Gone: Zayra, Dana, Josh, Jill, Ryan, Toby

yup, I think Ryan and Toby will go before Patrice.
    Last edited by JonasGrumby; 07-27-2006 at 03:19 AM.

FORT Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by blackflip View Post
    LOL--"old 1980's frogs"---I love it! It describes INXs to a tee! They are unrecognizable NOW versus their appearance in the old videos-- I saw "I need you tonight" on VH1 classic and couldn't believe how much they have changed. And I agree that Marty was a better choice to update them than JD but INXS was looking at the arranging skills and lyrics of JD versus Marty, and Pretty Vegas was a little better than Trees to me--it has charted and Trees has not to date. Actually,Marty would have been a good choice for this edition of Rockstar!

i disagree. i loved trees and thought it would have been a huge hit! much more than pretty vegas. and obviously the viewers voted trees as the encore more than j.d.'s pretty vegas. trees was sung about four times i think. and i also thought marty did awesome with pink floyd's "wish you were here" and inxs's "don't change". they picked the wrong winner. but when jordis left that week i knew he would probably win. he was in the b3 more times than her and should have left that week. suzie's rendition of "bohemian rhapsody" was what got her to the final four and she clearly wasnt better than jordis. they took "dream on" too seriously and it led to jordis's downfall in coming weeks.

jmb
    FORT Fogey Word Builder Champion jmb's Avatar
    Thanks LAGuy for that info on Phil. It sure makes SN's decision more understandable, even if it does mean that we have to suffer through at least one more week with Zayra.
    Her singing and her attitude both suck.
    Oh well, I'm positive she won't win, so I guess I'll just keep muting her!

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by blackflip View Post
    LOL--"old 1980's frogs"---I love it! It describes INXs to a tee! They are unrecognizable NOW versus their appearance in the old videos-- I saw "I need you tonight" on VH1 classic and couldn't believe how much they have changed. And I agree that Marty was a better choice to update them than JD but INXS was looking at the arranging skills and lyrics of JD versus Marty, and Pretty Vegas was a little better than Trees to me--it has charted and Trees has not to date. Actually,Marty would have been a good choice for this edition of Rockstar!

Oh ho! I could just see Marty singing Trees for these 3. They would have booted him with Duran Duran man. That is not a song that fits in with what SN has said they wanted.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGuy View Post
    Jason really seemed pissed about Ryan's comments to Dana, and so used Ryan's own inadequacies (i.e. his voice & stage presence) against him. Ryan tried explaining that he was actually agreeing with Dana's assertion that she wasn't a student any longer -- but Jason wasn't buying it.
    Thanks for that, LAGuy. It seemed to me that Ryan started picking on Dana the minute the band picked on him, saying he wasn't edgy and he was too bland. It seemed to me that he started picking on her (an easy mark) to make himself look more like JD did last season (and Lukas does this season)--not afraid to criticize other people. It's like he felt he'd look better if he made her look worse. All it does is make him look like a petulant bully. When Dilana criticizes her, it's never in a cruel way--but almost in a school marmish way (she patiently listens to Dana complain and then explains to her why people are criticizing some of her actions; or she calls Dana on something she says that isn't true).

Quote Originally Posted by LAGuy View Post
    After the Hatchet Man chopped Phil, he was standing there saying his final words to them. He stressed that he really was committed to being in their band. Suddenly, Dave pipes up with “Do you get newspapers up at the Mansion, Phil?”

“No.”

“Well,’ says Dave, “we do. Let me read you something.” He then proceeds to read an interview with Phil, in which he states that the reason he’s doing the show is to promote himself and his own band. What’s more, he doesn’t even like Supernova’s music!
    I for one love it when Dave calls the contestants on their B.S.

OK, I thought Phil did a great job with that Failure song and I, too, expected Zayra to go home (even though I thought she did a great job with K's Choice). He gave the more "rock" performance. But as bad as you guys think she is, she pretty much gives the rockers what they want--she tries to change it up, she has attitude, and she's feisty. She makes for good TV. And that's what we're watching--this is first and foremost a TV show.

Phil, on the other hand, looks limp...not something a bunch of hard rocking guys want to associate with. I think ALL of these rockers (not just Phil) are hoping that this exposure on TV will heighten their future careers and are using this Supernova vehicle (just as Supernova is using the show to help sell their album). Do you really think Dilana or Lukas is hoping to end her musical career with Supernova? But none of them have been stupid enough to admit it to the press. Does he really think that Supernova (or more appropriately, their "people" (assistants/managers/publicists) aren't scouring the press to read all the interviews these contestants do (the interviews, I'm sure, are set up by the show anyhow)? A big DUH to Phil!

Quote Originally Posted by JonasGrumby View Post
    WoW! I am so surprised that Zayra escaped the boot of the 3rd time in a row!!. She did the worst performance last night and also the worst tonight. She thought it was her farewell song so she sang a song that was dear to her therfore didn't even care if SN boots her out. Zayra should have been gone the first time but Chirs got the boot due to being in the bottom 2 twice in a row. Zayra was in the B3 3x for crying out loud and she's not going to escape it next week or the weeks after that. If this was AI she would have been gone.
    If it was AI, I would've been gone. (I hate that show.) And don't forget that Suzie McNeil was the "Queen of the Bottom 3" (sounds like an old Queen or Spinal Tap song, no?) last season and Dave and INXS LOVED her! (Not that I think the band loves Zayra that much.) Didn't Suzie make it to the Top 4?
    Last edited by Lois Lane; 07-27-2006 at 08:53 AM.

MRD
    anyone have a link to the article Phil gave the interview in??
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

HOLY TOLEDO!!!!!

this is the first time i hear about the Phil scandal! like someone else said, I'm all for Dave calling out these people on their B.S.!! PROPS to him!

even though the rockers did not know who the band was until after the selection, any smart person would make the best of a bad situation. (if they end up not liking the sounds of the band)

i believe that this IS the chance of a lifetime, will give you WORLDWIDE exposure and could very well be the stepping stone to something phenomenal! i say be greatful, ride the wave, get your exposure, and hang out with tommy lee!

thanks for the fill-in-the blanks, LAGuy, stuff sure makes a lot more sense.... i was especially wondering why the other contestants were so shocked that Phil was the one to go, heck, after those comments, i am not surprised. i feel sad for tommy when you say he looked crushed.
    i think he really is enjoying the show and the experience. this had to have been a slap in the face for him.

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...
    http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/p...607180315/1005

By ALEX MULLER
    The (Salisbury, Md.) Daily Times

07/18/2006

Delmarva rocker seeks taste of rock star reality

Phil Ritchie has sacrificed a lot for his music.

He dropped out of college during his sophomore year as a chemistry major to pursue a career in music. He says he does whatever it takes to further his band’s career, including taking four months off work to tour the United States.
    It looks like the sacrifices are finally paying off.

The Ocean City, Md., native made his debut on the CBS music reality show “Rock Star: Supernova” July 5. More than 25,000 musicians in more than eight countries auditioned for the right to showcase their talent on prime-time television. Ritchie and 14 others made the final cut and are competing to front an all-star recording and touring project featuring Tommy Lee (Motley Crue), Jason Newstead (Metallica) and Gilby Clarke (Guns ’n’ Roses).

Ritchie and his Delmarva rock group, Lennex, have been performing at nightclubs, including Arena’s Bar & Deli in Rehoboth Beach and the Bottle & Cork in Dewey Beach, for the past 10 years. They were originally called Kiss Me Kate.

One of Ritchie’s competitors on “Rock Star: Supernova” is Ryan Star, of New York, who performed at Popfest at the Rusty Rudder in May.

“I’ve been playing music since I was 9 years old, when the elementary school came around and asked who wanted to be in the school band,” he said. “I didn’t pick up on the saxophone too well, but I picked up on the trumpet in sixth grade. I played in the marching band in high school, and I was drum major my senior year.”

The school band was where Ritchie met his future bandmates.

"[We were] in jazz band," he said. "They had a band already formed with a different singer, and they were working on a cover song. I just started singing along and they loved it and asked me to join the band. We've been together 10 years."

Ritchie said he didn't seriously consider a career in music until he was already pursuing one in science.

"It was my second year in college. I started out as a chem major and it was cool at first," he said. "But my passion for music never really waned. It was pretty much a no-brainer at that point, and I dropped out of college."

Now, Ritchie and Lennex's bass player install carpet as a day job, but take as much time off as they need to try to make it big in the music industry.

"Basically my whole life revolves around my band," he said. "If I have to take off four months to go on tour, I do it."

Ritchie's manager called him up a few months ago about an opportunity to audition for "Rock Star: Supernova."

Ritchie said one of the drawbacks of the show is that he gets to perform only covers of songs.

"It's definitely weird from playing my original music for years. We played covers back in the day, but we've been strictly original for four years now," Ritchie said. "I hate playing covers. ... I've done it for years though, and I'm not worried about it."

Ritchie said his primary goal in competing is to promote his band.

"I mean, really I just hope to gain exposure. ... I'm not stoked about the music Supernova's popping out."

He said he knows if he wins the competition he's obligated to tour with the band.

"I love my boys back home, but you know I still have to look out for myself in this world," he said. "I've got to create opportunities for myself, and this is too huge an opportunity to say no to."

Ritchie said the competition is stiff.

"I've heard a lot of people's music, and everybody here is unbelievably talented," he said. "I can't believe I'm one of these people. The odds of me being here are incredibly slim."

On a recent episode, Ritchie's performance of Living Colour's "Cult of Personality" failed to impress the judges. Dave Navarro, of Jane's Addiction fame, said Ritchie's stage presence lacked "strength and confidence," while Tommy Lee of Motley Crue used Ritchie as an example to participants of the importance of choosing the correct song to showcase their talent.

Undeterred, Ritchie said the one thing he wants the audience to take from this competition is to see his true personality. "I'm just trying to be who I am and do what I do, and hopefully people will enjoy it."

So, Supernova decided Phil had to go, and THEN they found out about Phil's "scandal?" So Dave was the only one of the judges who knew about it? Good thing SN decided to boot him. What would have happened if they would have decided to boot Patrice or Zayra, and then found out about it?

+ Reply to Thread