+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rock Star - Elimination Show Report - 7/26/06 *TEASERS*

Filling in one of the blanks

(I'm reposting this from the Show Discussion thread. Most of y'all have read it over there, but since it's a key part of what happened at the taping, I thought it belonged here, too.)

After the Hatchet Man chopped Phil, he was standing there saying his final words to them. He stressed that he really was committed to being in their band. Suddenly, Dave pipes up with “Do you get newspapers up at the Mansion, Phil?”

“No.”

“Well,’ says Dave, “we do. Let me read you something.” He then proceeds to read an interview with Phil, in which he states that the reason he’s doing the show is to promote himself and his own band. What’s more, he doesn’t even like Supernova’s music!

Phil is taken aback when confronted by this, but does admit that he didn’t like “the Supernova riff” (or something like that). Tommy, meanwhile, looks like he’s just been stabbed in the heart. He turns to the other Rockers and warns all of them NOT to make the band or their work look bad with the media or in the press. I think it was Gilby who then wanted Phil to know that Tommy was absolutely crushed to be letting him go and that he hadn't wanted to do it.

JR.
    Jeez, why don't they show this stuff? They're missing out on great TV.

FORT Newbie
    LA GUY

Where did you get this info? Jill and Gilby fighting, Phil being caught saying he was just promoting his own band, etc. ?

VERY intriguing!

Quote Originally Posted by pvezz View Post
    LA GUY

Where did you get this info? Jill and Gilby fighting, Phil being caught saying he was just promoting his own band, etc. ?

VERY intriguing!
    He was there at the taping, plus a few others from this site were too.
    And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know ~ Kansas

FORT Newbie
    That is soooo cool! Why don't they leave that in the show when they broadcast it???!!!

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGuy View Post
    (I'm reposting this from the Show Discussion thread. Most of y'all have read it over there, but since it's a key part of what happened at the taping, I thought it belonged here, too.)

After the Hatchet Man chopped Phil, he was standing there saying his final words to them. He stressed that he really was committed to being in their band. Suddenly, Dave pipes up with “Do you get newspapers up at the Mansion, Phil?”

“No.”

“Well,’ says Dave, “we do. Let me read you something.” He then proceeds to read an interview with Phil, in which he states that the reason he’s doing the show is to promote himself and his own band. What’s more, he doesn’t even like Supernova’s music!

Phil is taken aback when confronted by this, but does admit that he didn’t like “the Supernova riff” (or something like that). Tommy, meanwhile, looks like he’s just been stabbed in the heart. He turns to the other Rockers and warns all of them NOT to make the band or their work look bad with the media or in the press. I think it was Gilby who then wanted Phil to know that Tommy was absolutely crushed to be letting him go and that he hadn't wanted to do it.
    Hmm, do Dave, Tommy and Gilby not know that Jason Newsted is on record as saying his main reason for doing RS:Supernova is to promote his new band, Voivod?

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pvezz View Post
    That is soooo cool! Why don't they leave that in the show when they broadcast it???!!!
    Because there's not enough time to put everything into a one hour show. But, most likely like someone said earlier here, it doesn't look good to CBS, Mark Burnett or Suvernova to have a contestant admit that he's only there to further himself and doesn't really care about the band or the show.

On a different subject, I was really happy that Gilby called Jill on her gyrations/grinding for being not only sexist (to her own sex) but a cliche. But I was surprised they didn't rail on Storm for stage diving, which is also a cliche these days. (I liked it, but hey, if you're going to call the contestants on their actions...)

Quote Originally Posted by Remus Lupin View Post
    Hmm, do Dave, Tommy and Gilby not know that Jason Newsted is on record as saying his main reason for doing RS:Supernova is to promote his new band, Voivod?
    I think that's the unspoken thing for all of them--they're doing this to further their own personal careers and, unlike INXS--which was/is a band comprised of members who met as young adults and have been around a couple decades--Supernova is not in this for the long haul (in my opinion).

I think that next season the stars will be another similar ad-hoc band... I don't think that many serious bands want to find their lead singer this way. Even INXS got a lot of criticism for picking JD from a reality show.

(Oh, I was happy to see that ABC's "The One" has been canceled. I never saw the show but I hated their copycat ads!")
    Last edited by Lois Lane; 07-28-2006 at 10:57 AM. Reason: So I don't double post

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane View Post
    I think that's the unspoken thing for all of them--they're doing this to further their own personal careers and, unlike INXS--which was/is a band comprised of members who met as young adults and have been around a couple decades--Supernova is not in this for the long haul (in my opinion).

I think that next season the stars will be another similar ad-hoc band... I don't think that many serious bands want to find their lead singer this way. Even INXS got a lot of criticism for picking JD from a reality show
    This whole SN band concept was started simply for reality t.v. Another one of Tommy Lee's projects. Who's to say how far SN will go after they choose their singer? I'm guessing it depends on how good they do, how many albums they sell, and so forth. Who knows, they might get lucky and form a great band that will go far. Newstad has his band, Tommy Lee still has Motley Crue (but maybe if SN is successful, MC will be a thing of the past?)
    We'll have to wait and see.......

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123