+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: 7/25 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skatemd View Post
    As to the guy complaining about that--is he really a rock and roll musician and if he is so PC why the hell was he playing that particular song to start with? at least Dave and Tommy are keeping it real.
    It wasn't so much about him being PC but about him thinking what she did was too predictable. And I agree with him.

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by skatemd View Post

9.Jill--she did a good version of Brown sugar but let me tell you that Brown sugar is a racist, degrading song and is far from a favorite(some of the lyrics are about a slave master buying a black woman in New orleans for sex)--I am really surprised to hear her sing that song on TV. As to her grinding--the song itself was cheap and sexist(and racist) so the cheap grinding fit right in IMO. As to the guy complaining about that--is he really a rock and roll musician and if he is so PC why the hell was he playing that particular song to start with? at least Dave and Tommy are keeping it real.
    The Stones with degrading songs about women? OMG! How have I missed that in 30 odd years of listening to every album they've put out??? (by the way, I am a woman and a HUGE, HUGE, HUGE Stones fan and no one this year has done a single good version or even passable Stones song in my opinion)
    Brown Sugar was a double entendre song about Mexican Heroin as well as a song about a girl being sold in a slave market. But I don't think that makes it racist. Everyone thinks "That Smell" by Lynyrd Skynyrd glorifies using drugs, but actually its the opposite. And Brown Sugar is the same way. That said, Jill murdered the song, wasted her chance to sing with Gilby and alienated him by her actions (grinding and hitting him with the mic stand).
    I think Gilby was right in his criticism of Jill. Only Jagger can strut his stuff and grind and it come off as not looking bad.

Jill looked desperate and it made Gilby uncomfortable. He's mentioned having a daughter and maybe that's why, she could be watching and he doesn't want her seeing that.

And as for Gilby playing that song? He's a HUGE Rolling Stones fan, so I wasn't surprised to see him play that song at all. And he is the only one of SN that really seems to be taking this seriously and critiquing the rockers and taking them to task. I have to say that my estimation of him has gone up considerably since his GNR days.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    That said, Jill murdered the song, wasted her chance to sing with Gilby and alienated him by her actions (grinding and hitting him with the mic stand).
    And making humping him from behind motions no less – LOL!

Been watching this show since day one. This show is interesting, because it is like watching a trainwreck. All these 'singers' suck. After watching/listening to the tracks that Supernova played, well it doesn't matter who wins, because the band will be lucky to a)last a year b) sell over 1000 records. The only one of the band members that has any talent and has any credibility is Jason. Gilby was in GnR (and not even the original guitarist and not even good one at that). Tommy Lee was in a crappy hair band.

Reality Lite Weight LiteWeightLiz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    That said, Jill murdered the song, wasted her chance to sing with Gilby and alienated him by her actions (grinding and hitting him with the mic stand).
    I think Gilby was right in his criticism of Jill. Only Jagger can strut his stuff and grind and it come off as not looking bad.

Jill looked desperate and it made Gilby uncomfortable....
    While watching the show last night, I thought that Gilby was unfair to Jill, because of his "I don't see why you always have to play the sex card" comment... my thoughts are that sex and rock -n- roll are synonymous!

After reviewing her performance again, however, I think he was right to slam her... she really didn't display any talent per-se, in anything she did. (Like Dilana told Dana, "be the song".) She wasn't successful in showing a naturalness in her delivery. I don't think it was so much the "sex" aspect, as it was her technique. It came across as awkward.
    Quote: "Going cold turkey isn't as delicious as it sounds." -- Homer Simpson

FORT Newbie
    Is there the possibility of cutting all the bottom three? I'm tired of watching people that are obviously not suited for any lead singer position. The sooner we get to the "band" actually having a tough decision to make the better, I really want to fast forward.

I want to replace Gilby!! Thread Killer's Avatar
    My two cents after watching the show last night:

Dilana is TOO GOOD for this band. Supernova will sell about a million CD’s, and then disappear forever. Dilana could be a major recording artist with the right people around her.

Magni is my new favorite. I think he has the best voice by far among the men. I also think that if Magni gets the gig, he will be able to “crush it” without compromising the quality of his singing.

Don’t get what people see in Lukas. Just a lot of guttural noise, no actual SINGING. He has zero chance to front this band.

Toby took a step down in my eyes. IMO his voice WILL suffer if he turns up the intensity to the level that SN is looking for. This band isn’t right for him at all.

Storm is HOT!!! I like everything about her, definitely has star quality. She is another one who has no chance to front this band, though.

Those five are the only interesting ones for me. And out of those, Magni and Dilana are the only ones I can see actually pulling this gig off.

Jill murdered the song, wasted her chance to sing with Gilby and alienated him by her actions (grinding and hitting him with the mic stand).
    Well put!

jmb
    FORT Fogey Word Builder Champion jmb's Avatar
    Please send Zayra home. I have to mute the tv every time she performs - her accent and off key singing - yikes! It is pure torture to listen to her.

These guys must have no taste in music.

Every week they praise Lukas on how good he is. He sounds like a dying cow or something with that throat sound, and that's when you can understand him.not to mention that makeup he always wears.

And then when Magni sings and doesn't move around enough, they're not happy. Because in order for a song to be good you have to move around like your either having a seizure or high. Riiiight.

(can you tell i'm a Magni fan?)
    Favorite Reality Tv Quote Ever:
    "You have to do it. You have to accomplish your dreams." - Charla, The Amazing Race 5

+ Reply to Thread