+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rock Star: Supernova Media Articles

Rock Star: Supernova Media Articles

Here's a thread for the posting of press releases, news stories, and other media related to Rock Star: Supernova.

Please observe all the regular expectations when posting articles (PG-13, include a link, appropriate material, etc.). Thanks!

'Rock Star' Texans are rolling on

HOLLYWOOD HILLS, Calif. – The three Texas women on Rock Star: Supernova are getting a crash course in sexual politics. It's a man's world they've gotten themselves into, with Tommy Lee gladly playing the lead Lothario.

Just a few hours earlier, he has four words for Houstonian Dilana Robichaux after her take-no-prisoners performance of the Cranberries' "Zombie."

"Hi, Dilana. I wanna," he tells her at Sunday's taping of tonight's show.

"Sorry, I'm taken," she replies.

Pierced, tattooed and thoroughly savvy, Ms. Robichaux, 33, quickly has emerged as the early favorite to front a new band composed of three aging heavy metal rockers – Mr. Lee (Mötley Crüe), Gilby Clarke (Guns N' Roses) and Jason Newsted (Metallica). So far they've knocked off two of the 15 finalists, leaving women with a seven-to-six majority. You might say they know the score where men are concerned.

"It's an issue that me and the girls have talked about a lot. You know, the whole sex thing," Ms. Robichaux says. "I choose to just say to myself, 'It's Tommy Lee. He's a freak. It's rock 'n' roll, he's gonna do it, get used to it.'

"I've been in bands like that for many years. Once they get to know me and we're actually on the road touring, they'll realize that I'll be one of the boys and it'll all be cool. And I can get them the chicks."

Ms. Robichaux, a native of South Africa who moved to Houston in 2001, otherwise is living in something of a dream world, as are Dallasite Zayra Alvarez, 27, and Austin's Patrice Pike, 35. Their temporary residence is a sprawling, top-of-the-world Great Gatsby-esque mansion that's also the site of Sunday night's freewheeling after party.

At the height of frivolity, Mr. Lee and contestant Phil Ritchie douse each other with beer after the latter's rousing cover of "Wonderwall" by Oasis. It's capped by Mr. Lee's literally open invitation to have a cold one poured into his members-only area. Mission accomplished, and hey, no one got hurt.

Ms. Alvarez, who cut her musical teeth in Deep Ellum clubs, is rooming with Ms. Robichaux during their Rock Star experience. The Puerto Rico native narrowly avoided elimination last week after viewers voted her into the weekly bottom three. But she recovers nicely tonight with a powerful performance of R.E.M.'s "Everybody Hurts."

"I thought it was awesome," Mr. Clarke tells her at the taping.

"I love your dress," says Mr. Lee, who earlier tells curvy contestant Storm Large, "I'd really just like to see more of you. ... You're so hot."

Ms. Alvarez says the band "really doesn't want a woman, so you've got to be as forceful with them as possible."

She agrees that Ms. Robichaux is the front-runner for now, in part because her deep pipes are, well, manly. An electrifying stage presence doesn't hurt either.

"She has a male's voice," Ms. Alvarez says. "I don't mean it in a bad way. It's actually to her advantage. She can command the stage like a man, and they are loving that. ... All of us girls here have some elements of male in a way – the way we think and the way we act. Some more than others. Storm is another male woman. Big, giant force. You can't be around these guys if you don't think like them."

Ms. Pike, a Dallas native who moved to Austin in 1992, leads off tonight's Rock Star by performing the Beatles' "Helter Skelter." Only 13 posted songs were available to the same number of contestants, leading to a tussle for "Helter Skelter" between Ms. Pike and another woman singer, host Brooke Burke tells viewers. Says Mr. Lee: "There's nothin' better than a good catfight or a good barroom brawl."

Ms. Pike says it didn't quite happen that way.

"I got fought with for 'Helter Skelter.' Some people try to create drama because they know they'll get camera time, which I'm not really into. I think my performance and voice speak for themselves. I made a commitment to come here and maintain my integrity as much as I can through this process. The time for me to be extreme and do my thing is onstage."

She's basically the show's old pro, having opened for big name acts such as Sarah McLachlan, Natalie Merchant and Dave Matthews Band.

"Someone who has an incredible amount of charisma and is over the top on a daily basis is going to get a lot of response from the television audience," Ms. Pike says. "But in the end the band has to decide who can make their voice last and play 200-plus shows a year.

"I don't turn on things just because a camera's on me, and that may be to my detriment. But I don't want to lose who I am."

Ms. Robichaux, who's been compared to Janis Joplin, simply doesn't want to lose.

"I don't want to sound cocky at all, but I'm extremely confident," she says. "I can honestly see myself fronting this band on every level. I don't have any fears about delivering a song, and my home is on the stage."

Last week's smoldering performance of Johnny Cash's "Ring of Fire" showed that she can handle just about anything – even "Jumpin' Jack Flash."

"It would be really hard for me to get into that song because I can't really relate to the lyrics," Ms. Robichaux says. "Sorry Mick Jagger, we love you. But if I do get that song, I will 'Dilana-fy' it and I will make it work."

Her quick zoom to the top of Rock Star's charts is not sitting well with some of her fellow contestants, she feels.

"There's some tension, and I can't put my finger on it. But I get a feeling that people are making alliances and I've noticed the last few days that they're not talking to me. Or when I say something, they make snarky, smirky little remarks. It's so damn unnecessary. This is a world tour we're talking about. It's not friggin' Big Brother."

Ms. Alvarez, who's hoping to get out of Rock Star's doghouse, says the mood already has gone from "mellow" to "tense" in the mansion and on the playing field.

"The producers said, 'You guys aren't fighting enough.' So they're putting a lot of pressure on us. I'm nervous about this week. It's going to be pretty tough. Hopefully I'll still be here. I think I'm being portrayed as the [rhymes with rich] of the group. But it all depends on how they edit things."

Still, there's no place like her current home.

"There's no way that anybody can lose by being on this show," Ms. Alvarez says. "It's great exposure, a great experience, great learning. We're being forced to discover and train ourselves in the most intense way possible. This is better than Tae Bo."

Complete article here

Thanx for the article, ShrinkingViolet....it was a new one for me. Zayra seems to have a great head on her shoulders and I already suspected that the producers were cattle-prodding them "This is a world tour we're talking about. It's not friggin' Big Brother."
    .....so, so lame.

'Rock Star: Supernova' is the real rock deal

Alex Strachan, The Leader-Post
    Published: Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Things you can't tell just from watching Rock Star: Supernova, the hippest, craziest, jazziest -- figuratively speaking -- TV music competition of the summer:

- Tommy Lee looks almost respectable, when viewed from behind.

- The more than 30 cameras are virtually invisible in real life, so don't bother trying to find them on TV. Not going to happen.

- The show you see on TV lasts just 42 minutes, not including ads, but it takes about 100 minutes to tape. In real time. That means no delays for commercials, beyond the two- or three- minute time-outs. The singers are granted 95 seconds to perform their rock tunes; every moment of that performance ends up on the screen. What gets cut? The reactions of host Dave Navarro and bandmates Tommy Lee, Gilby Clarke and Jason Newsted. What you see on TV -- just one or two words from each of the judges, if that -- is pared down dramatically from what they say.

Last week, for example, viewers missed a really cute exchange between eventual Vancouver evictee Jenny Galt and Lee. Later that night, at the Rock Star mansion overlooking Los Angeles' Silver Lake district, Galt was on a high: She knew her acoustic guitar was not what the band wanted -- "Less Lilith Fair, more Ozzfest," Navarro told her -- but she bowed out with her head high. "I showed 'em," she said -- guitar, voice, looks, the works.

Heavy metal will have to wait.

- The Rock Star soundstage is a killer venue, and ironically much cooler in actuality than it looks on TV. Rock Star executive producer and co-creator Mark Burnett has lit the soundstage Survivor-style, straight out of a tribal council in Yucatan, with purple, gold and deep red light against a backdrop of giant Mayan rock carvings: Stone Temple Pilots meets Earth, Wind and Fire, with the performers and judges lit from below with an almost ethereal white light.

- Rock Star executive producer David Goffin was the technical producer on the original American Idol. The one with Kelly Clarkson. He considers Rock Star to be his highlight of highlights. During a recent set visit, Goffin said getting song clearances from famous rock acts can be a real nightmare -- until the bands see the performance. Pink Floyd's management dug in over "Wish You Were Here," he said in an interview; when they saw what J.D. Fortune did with it, they immediately freed up "Money." The word is out in the rock world: Rock Star is the real deal.

- What you see is what you get: The crowd is young, hot and wild. The performances are raw and real, and -- another irony -- more charged with energy in real life than what you see on the TV screen.

- This competition is Torontonian Lukas Rossi's and South Africa-born Dilana Robichaux's to lose. If a performer can win from behind, however, by improving each week -- as J.D. Fortune did with last summer's Rock Star: INXS -- watch out for Reykjavik's Magni Asgeirsson. At the post-show mansion party last week, he kicked off an impromptu four-hour concert jam at the Rock Star mansion with a wicked rendition of the Eagles' hit "Hotel California" that had Lee, Newsted and Clarke thrumming and jamming before the night was out: At one point, Lee was drumming the floor.

- A crew member on the Rock Star production team wore a T-shirt that read, "It's not the fall that hurts. It's the sudden stop."

Think about that when you see another would-be rock star eliminated after tonight's performance program.

Link
    Last edited by ShrinkingViolet; 07-26-2006 at 02:12 AM.

FORT Fogey
    Hmmm, I don't recall JD singing "Wish You Were Here".

He didn't . . . it was Marty. The noonday sun has obviously addled Goffin's brain.

(Either that, or since this is from Canada.com, they want to give J.D. all the credit for everything. )

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantenna View Post
    He didn't . . . it was Marty. The noonday sun has obviously addled Goffin's brain.

(Either that, or since this is from Canada.com, they want to give J.D. all the credit for everything. )

I don't think it was Goffin who said that, since none of his interview is in quote marks. I think it was the stupid newspaper writer who got his facts wrong.

Newspapers often do that...

So according to Zayra if you can hold the stage on your own, you are a male woman?
    "How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his friend. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame... for one person. In the dark. Where no one will ever know or see." - Sebastion, Babylon 5

+ Reply to Thread