+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: 7/18 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

jmb
    FORT Fogey Word Builder Champion jmb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dvm View Post
    I think Zayra looks exactly like Celine Dion... body, face (especially her mouth), and performance theatrics. Anyone else agree?
    I can see it dvm... also her accent is very reminicent of Celine (& her difficulty with english). She does not look like a hard rock band lead singer.
    Last edited by jmb; 07-19-2006 at 02:25 PM.

I'm not excited about any of these folks, with the possible exception of Toby. Watching him perform, it's obvious that he knows what he's doing, musically specaking, and I like his voice.

Lukas is a caricature to me, and I've never, ever enjoyed the arrogant fool persona. Last night was his best performance to me, but it was largely because he managed to do something interesting with one of the all-time mindless unmusical pieces of schlock in rock.

I also don't care for Dilana, overall. I like her voice, and agree that she's got amazing stage presence. But her look turns me off. If she'd tone it down about ten notches, she'd probably be chillingly amazing. But the wicca look is a distraction (and she doesn't need it - she's talented enough on her own).

Zayra gets my vote for the most painful of the night. She wasn't just off-key - that happens sometimes. She warbled in every direction around the key, never seeming to find it. It was bloody awful.
    Token Christian.

If truth is relative, how do you know?

I have to agree with most of the above comments. I really was looking forward to this show and really, really wanted to like it......but I have to admit I'm not feeling the love for the show this year. I still like Dave N. and shockingly, I will admit that I actually find Tommy Lee funny and sexy even though he is quite lecherous. I'm not feeling any of the rockers except Dilana, Lukas, Storm and Toby (although Toby was bad last night). Magni and Phil are so-so.....and all the other rockers can go home now! Josh is just too boppish and Dana belongs on American Idol. The others are just meh.....and quite forgettable.

Don't be stupid and go acoustic, just CRUSH IT!

What's this love for Toby? He lacks stage presence compared to some of the contestants. He doesn't fit Supernova. Ryan looks very uncomfortable (nerves?) on stage...before I can even say it, the band says "you look like you're not having fun". And that fake smile he did was so cheesy. The pretenders (pseudo-rockers) are Josh, Dana, and Jenny. They should be auditioning for a different (pop) band. Dana should just go on AI. I thought Dave would say that, and I wish he would. Zayra....why is she even in the top 15???!!

I really like Storm for some reason. This show is ok. I recently started watching it. And I have to agree that the Tommy lee bug has bitten me. I am NEVER attracted to guys like that. But i quietly whisper yummy.
    The Buffalo Bills Will Win A Superbowl Someday!!!

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jasmar View Post
    I also don't care for Dilana, overall. I like her voice, and agree that she's got amazing stage presence. But her look turns me off. If she'd tone it down about ten notches, she'd probably be chillingly amazing. But the wicca look is a distraction (and she doesn't need it - she's talented enough on her own).
    Last night was the first time I've watched this, and I loved Dilana's performance. I liked hers the best of all. I agree with you on the look though, it's a bit much.

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone View Post
    Last night was the first time I've watched this, and I loved Dilana's performance. I liked hers the best of all. I agree with you on the look though, it's a bit much.

Dilana did rock! Like Dave Navarro said, it was the one performance I got excited about and turned up the volume. I also like Patrice but found her Helter Skelter cover just so-so - the house band, as always, made it sound way better. She needs to turn it up a notch to compete with Dilana and Star. None of the guys are really getting my votes so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Trynity View Post
    I have to agree with most of the above comments. I really was looking forward to this show and really, really wanted to like it......but I have to admit I'm not feeling the love for the show this year. I still like Dave N. and shockingly, I will admit that I actually find Tommy Lee funny and sexy even though he is quite lecherous. I'm not feeling any of the rockers except Dilana, Lukas, Storm and Toby (although Toby was bad last night). Magni and Phil are so-so.....and all the other rockers can go home now! Josh is just too boppish and Dana belongs on American Idol. The others are just meh.....and quite forgettable.

Don't be stupid and go acoustic, just CRUSH IT!
    I was also looking forward to this years show. I loved last years show, the suspense the performers, the judging…but there is really nothing to keep me interested this year.

The performers are sub par across the board. I find it tough to believe these are the best rockers they could find…or maybe these are the best that were willing to take the risk of being saddled with SuperNova. I like Toby, but he doesn’t fit the SuperNova image at all. Hopefully he will last awhile so we have something to watch, but I suspect he is going to get discouraged real soon.

INXS seemed to want the contestants to improve and grow as performers, the criticism of the performances was actually constructive. Tommy just comes off as a dirty old man and not terribly interested in the project or the process at all. Worse for this year is the fact that INXS were up front about exactly what they wanted in a singer, Tommy and Co have been anything but clear, we have heard a lot about what they aren’t (or trying to avoid being) and what they don’t want but nothing about what they actually want.

I’ll keep watching…but unless something changes I don’t know for how long I will still be watching

White Rabbit - my favorite rock song of all time. I tried to keep an open mind, but Phil blew it. He was awkward and Jason was distracting. This song is an old fashion morality tale (like Red Riding Hood) with a warning at the end, "Remember what the Dormouse said, Keep your head, Keep your head." Phil failed to haunt and the haunt comes from telling the story - which will either intrigue one enough to seek out the hookah-smoking catepillar or scare one into scrambling out of the rabbit hole. A dream or a nightmare: just ask Alice.

It was because of the story telling in this song that I wanted to hear Dilana sing it. On house clips shown during the 7-19 show she gave advice to Dana - get into the song, tell the story. I wish she would have given that advice to Phil.

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...
    Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    Tommy Lee is an A** he makes no constructive comments. Gilby is the only one. They rarely show Jason making comments unless he's being edited out.
    And I didn't think anyone could get any worse than Dave Navarro was last year and now Tommy Lee makes Dave look and act like a kindergarten teacher.

I'm really disappointed. I had high hopes for this show and I'm thinking that this is probably going to be the last one. No Rock Star next summer.

They should nix Tommy Lee and find a drummer along with a singer!
    Actually Jason does make a lot of comments, but due to the number of singers still in the competition, comments (from everybody) are cut way short. You'll be seeing a lot more in the coming weeks, I'm sure.

BTW, how was the Stones concert???

+ Reply to Thread