+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Song Recommendations

FORT Fan

Song Recommendations

Why are Supernova recycling most of the songs from Rockstar: INXS? INXS was a rock & roll band, but Tommy, Gilby, and Jason are heavy metal guys from Motley Crue, Guns N Roses, and Metallica. Why don't they get the rockers to do some of their own metal tracks (hair metal too)? Here are some of my recommendations (include both upbeat tracks and mellow ballads), what's yours?

Motley Crue - Girls, girls, girls - Tommy's favorite???
    Motley Crue - Wild Side
    Metallica - Enter Sandman
    Metallica - One
    Def Leppard - Photograph
    Def Leppard - Love Bites
    Def Leppard - Long Long Way to Go
    Black Sabbath - Iron Man
    Ozzy Osborne & Lita Ford - Close My Eyes Forever
    Guns N Roses - November Rain
    Guns N Roses - Don't Cry
    Bon Jovi - Have A Nice Day
    Bon Jovi - It's My Life
    Green Day - Boulevard of Broken Dreams
    Journey - Seperate Ways
    Scorpions - Rock You Like a Hurricane
    Van Halen - Why Can't This Be Love

Added later: Okay, so I missed the first few minutes when Gilby said they they are not going to be a heavy metal group. But it seems to me that Tommy et al. want to be the dirty, filthy band that they always were! So go figure! Anyway, other types of song recommendations are also welcome! Maybe I should also add some The Doors, The Who, Led Zep, etc.
    Last edited by SurferBlonde; 07-12-2006 at 03:41 PM.

Butch Walker should be EASY to please. Here's stuff in a slightly different riff from straight metal which he's either written or produced:

-wrote: Bowling for Soup's "Girl All the Bad Guys Want"
    -wrote: Avril Lavigne's "My Happy Ending"
    -produced: Bowling for Soup
    -produced: Pink
    -produced: Lindsay Lohan (ew)
    -produced: Avril Lavigne (only slightly lesser ew)
    -produced: Lit
    -produced: Sevendust
    -produced: The Donnas
    -produced: Hot Hot Heat
    -produced: American Hi-Fi

Seems to me that other than Lindsey Lohan, you could get away with a lot of material from the above, if you leaned more towards hard rock interpretations.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

just when you escape... raisingrrrl's Avatar
    hmmm.... toughy...

Add to the list "You Could Be Mine" from G 'N R

FORT Fan
    I'd like to see Lukas do "Rape Me" by Nirvana. That song has one of my favorite screams ever, I love the Rape me! Rape me! Rape me! screaming part that Cobain did for the last 20 seconds of that song.

The show seems to have the OK to use Nirvana songs so they probably could (although I remember originally MTV wouldn't let them perform that on TV which seems rather stupid to me).

I like a lot of your choices, though. I like a lot of Bon Jovi songs and think some of them would be good to hear on this show also, but I doubt it as almost every hard rock band always says they hate Bon Jovi and would refuse to say anything positive or ever admit liking a song.

Somehow I don't see a song with the lyric "rape me" getting past the CBS censors.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

FORT Fanatic
    It seems to me that it would make sense for some of the women to try Heart or even Pat Benatar covers. (And more Janis Joplin.)

What I would really like to hear is Dilana taking on some Patti Smith. Horses, for example.

just when you escape... raisingrrrl's Avatar
    [QUOTE=boxhill;1963909]It seems to me that it would make sense for some of the women to try Heart or even Pat Benatar covers. (And more Janis Joplin.)QUOTE]

If you recall, my favorite performance from last year was Ty Taylor's "Heartbreaker" (originally recorded by Pat Benetar).... yum.

FORT Fan
    Somehow I don't see a song with the lyric "rape me" getting past the CBS censors.
    Really? I was hoping censorship when it comes to things like that would have loosened up in 13 years. I remember Kurt Cobain wanted to play "Rape Me" on the MTV awards, but they told him no, do "Smells Like Teen Spirit", but ended up settling on "Lithium".

It's really so silly. It's not as though the song is telling people they should go out and rape someone. It's doesn't make much sense that the Academy Awards feature a performance entitled "It's hard out there for a pimp"....yet a song wouldn't be allowed to be performed on a TV show just because it has the words "Rape me" in it. I like the original version of it just because it's an awesome rocking song, but the acoustic version of it has so much emotion in it....an absolute travesty that it would be banned.

CC... to each their own, but I have to tell you that a song that repeats "Rape Me" in it would offend me (a rape victim) to no end. People thinking that the term "rape" is just an innocuous little verb is silly, and it certainly doesn't equate to the term "pimp."

Censorship or no censorship; it's a matter of good taste and playing it would not be in good taste. It's right along the lines of allowing songs or video games that talk about killing cops... it's just not done whether the riff is fabulous, it's an awesome rocking song, or not.

Thank you, Boradway. Very well stated thoughts.
    Token Christian.

If truth is relative, how do you know?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast