+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Song Recommendations

But a good singer can take tofu and make meat out of it. Lukas made the point that he didn't really care what song he got, because he felt he could work with anything. He's right... if you are on a higher rung of talent, and you also know the band's sensibility, the song doesn't matter nearly as much as it does if you are more limited in your talent.

A mediocre, or at least LIMITED singer might be able to sound passable with some songs and some styles. A really good one will be able to either cross styles, or in some cases do the exact opposite--take any song and "own it" in such a way that they convincingly and interestingly make it into THEIR style (presumably hard rock, since they are auditioning for a hard rock band).

Dilana, Lukas, to a lesser degree Patrice, they all seem to be able to do that second thing. Someone like Toby or Jill seems more like someone more suited to the first. Both are potentially winning strategies. It's the people who can do neither who are up a creek without a paddle--those either locked into a style without the capability to appropriate other songs into it, or those who try to roam between styles but who can't quite pull it off.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Looking for a way out Bubba-Jo-Lyn's Avatar
    Those are great points and I do agree with most of them but my point is that SN keeps saying in their critiques that they want more energy, or for the rockers to go crazy, or to just bring it. Well, if the rockers aren't given the tools (ie songs) to accomplish that then there's no way they can deliver what SN wants. When Gilby made the comment to Zayra about whether she knew what their song history was that tells me that's what their looking for. Someone who can sing in the GNR, Metallica, or Crue style.

I agree that the cream will rise to the top and that's why it will be down to Dilana, Lukas, and Toby but it's a little annoying each week to have to listen to fair to mediocre singers (Dana, Phil, Josh, etc.) sing songs that don't suit the style of what SN will be. The producers should at least give them an opportunity to show if they really could fit into the band. Like Phil got when he sang White Rabbit. That was the great thing about INXS Rockstar because they had the band's catalogue to work from, when the bottom 3 performed INXS could really judge how that singer would do singing their songs and their style.

Anyways, that's just my opinion. What I really want to hear is songs that I like and are different than ones that I've heard before on the show. New is good because like I said before I love Nirvana and the Stones I just don't want to hear someone sing one of their songs every week.
    Remember: Mentioning Jesus in your speech: small government. Doing what Jesus asked: big government - Stephen Colbert

Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut the b*tch up with cookies. (Unknown)

Three Days Grace-Animal I have become

at least I would like to hear it!

I would love to hear Animal I Have Become by Three Days Grace too. Going to their concert tonight in Edmonton.

Some other ones are:

Tweeter and the Monkey Man - The Headstones
    Numb - Linkin Park
    In The End - Linkin Park
    Make Up Your Mind - Theory of a Deadman
    Try Honesty - Billy Talent
    Lit Up - Buck Cherry
    Crazy Bitch - Buck Cherry (don't know how they would edit it but it's an awesome song)
    Message in a Bottle - Sting
    She Hates Me - Puddle of Mudd
    Remember: Mentioning Jesus in your speech: small government. Doing what Jesus asked: big government - Stephen Colbert

Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut the b*tch up with cookies. (Unknown)

jmb
    FORT Fogey Word Builder Champion jmb's Avatar
    On last night's show, we heard a few riffs from SuperNova's new tunes (I'm guessing that the contestants heard the whole songs).
    From the snippets that I heard, they reminded me quite a bit of the Clash.

Therefore, I'm suggesting that someone sing "London Calling" by the Clash. I'm positive that the band won't be criticizing the song selection on that one!

I'll second the vote that any of the women sing a Heart song. Joan Jett would be another alternative.

I'm getting tired of hearing a lot of Nirvana tunes. I'd also vote with the people that suggested that we hear some AC/DC, Nickelback, Green Day, Blink 182 and Sum41. I also like Rush, but Geddy's vocals are so distinctive, I'm not sure I would like to hear any of the contestants sing their stuff.

Stricken - Disturbed
    Stupify - Disturbed
    One Thing - Finger Eleven
    Good Times - Finger Eleven
    Rich and Filthy - Bif Naked
    Bounce - Danko Jones
    Fuel - Metallica
    Turn the Page - Metallica
    I Disappear - Metallica
    Hero of the Day - Metallica
    Sweet Child O' Mine - Guns N' Roses
    You Could Be Mine - Guns N' Roses

jmb
    FORT Fogey Word Builder Champion jmb's Avatar
    I would love to hear Toby sing a song by Midnight Oil - how about Beds are Burning, Blue Sky Mine, Bullroarer or Forgotten Years??

Bother - Stone Sour
    Cochise - Audioslave
    Like a Stone - Audioslave
    The Hand That Feeds - Nine Inch Nails

FORT Regular
    I was complaining last night about the song selection.

I don't think we'll hear any tunes from any of the bands, no GnR, No Metallica, no Crue.

Here is my weird song selection of the day:

1) Stone Roses - I wanna be adored.
    2) Rush - Limelight, I think they could pull this one off, and I really think Patrice needs to step it up and this might work for her.

3) Zep's "Rock & Roll"

4) AC/Dc - "you shook me", I think this might be in line with the direction of the band.

5) Aerosmith's "Sweet emotion"

6) Audioslave 'Show me how to live"

7) Bad Company" Burnin' Sky"

8) Deep Purple "bad attitude"

9) Black Rebel Motorcycle Club 'What happened to my rock and Roll"

10) Blue Oyster Cult : Burning for you

11) Cheap Trick - "I want you to want me"

12) Cult - "love removal machine" -

13) drivin' and cryin - Fly me courageous

14) Fleetwood Mac - Go your own way

15) Iron Maiden "Can I play with madness"

16) Journey "Lights", "Wheel in the sky"

17) Kansas - Carry on my wayward son

18) Kasabian - Club Foot (that song just rocks and I'd like to see Magri belt this out)

19) Kinks - You really got me

20) Van Halen - Ain't talkin bout love

21) Lynnrd Skynrd - "Sweet home alabama" or "Simple man", probably too long, but would be interesting to hear Dana do one of these, maybe Ryan.

22) Muse - Hysteria

23) The Music - Getaway (I'd like to see Dilana or Storm on this one)

24) Neil Young - "hey hey my my" or "cinnimon girl"

25) Pearl Jam - "State of love and trust", I don't see them letting this happen.

26) Queen - Stone Cold Crazy

27) Queensryche- Resistance, Jet City Woman

28) Radiohead - I might be wrong

29)Rainbow - "Can't happen Here"

30) Ramones - I wanna be sedated,(Easy song for anyone)

31) Silverchair - Freak or Abuse me

32) Sweet - ballroom blitz, Action

okay that's more than enough of my dream scenarios.

Would make a pretty cool playlist on my ipod though.

Quote Originally Posted by Panicfc View Post
    Would make a pretty cool playlist on my ipod though.
    Too funny because of all this thinking about songs I like and want the rockers to hear sing I gave my list to a co-worker's daughter and she's gonna burn some CD's for me. I figure I'm gonna get about 6 Cd's worth out of my list. I don't have an ipod otherwise that would be even better.

By the way, Zayra already butchered the Kinks song on episode 1. When the heck is she going to finally get the boot. Can't come soon enough.

+ Reply to Thread