+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Song Recommendations

Yup, TK, pretty much.

I think the first season was three-fold. Keep us watching, Find a singer to lead the band, and re-establish the band to it's old fanbase, while letting new fans discover them.

The elimination show had the contestants singing INXS's songbase, introducing many new people to it. Made me want to go out and buy their albums.

Since this is "at this point" a fictional band, they have no cataloge to promote. At this point, I am not sure the three judges really know what kind of band they want to be even.
    "How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his friend. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame... for one person. In the dark. Where no one will ever know or see." - Sebastion, Babylon 5

FORT Fan
    So are you saying that the top 15 were selected before Supernova existed? That Tommy, Jason, and Gilby had no say in who the finalists were?
    I'm not sure, I think that "Supernova" was formed by the time they picked the final 15. Although I'm sure Mark Burnett had more of a say on who got on the show than anyone including Supernova.

But what I am saying that I do know for a fact that at least some, if not all of the auditions were held before Supernova was formed or announced. So it's the contestents that didn't know what they were competing for. You know how you hear, on May the 14th at xxxx spot in New York, Vancouver, Toronto, LA, etc.) come to an open audition to compete on the second season of Rock Star. At that point, they still didn't know what band they were competing for.

I just think it's a huge gap between styles. It's like if someone thought they were trying out to be the singer of a band like REM. And then all of a sudden they find out they're competing to be in Metallica instead. What makes a good candidate for REM would not make a good Metallica singer and vice versa. It would be like a fish out of water in many instances, and I think that's what we have on the show now.

Someone put in "Fire Woman" by The Cult, "Love Removal Machine" would be a great choice.

Banditos - The Refreshments
    Flagpole Sitta - Harvey Danger
    Kryptonite - 3 Doors Down
    Mama Kin - Aerosmith
    I Want You to Want Me - Cheap Trick
    Counting the Days - Collective Soul

I want to replace Gilby!! Thread Killer's Avatar
    Thank you Asis and CC. This is VERY HELPFUL for somebody who never watched the first INXS season.

This could've worked much better if Supernova was able to judge the auditions, the contestants knowing what they're actually trying out for. Then we'd probably have 12 or 13 guys, and all of them would have the "right" look. Then you wouldn't have so many "No chance in hell" contestants.

Back to the subject of song choices: If you have to pick from a list, and Burnett is controlling that , then the key is coming up with a good arrangement no matter what the song is, and stage presense seems to matter to Supernova almost as much as the vocals.

That's what Lukas did with "Spend the Night Together". I thought his performance was too over the top, and he didn't sing it very well. But you guys saw how much the judges liked him.

I'll be honest. I think these judges are crap. I think they are looking for a over the top showboat and trying to make sense of thier boots will drive us all crazy.

As these contestants get more desparate, I think we will see some fisticuffs regarding song selection. It is hard to completely rearrange a song to be a crunch it song in less than a week. So it is going to come down to getting one of the primo songs vs. getting a song you can do well for most of them.

Which frankly sucks for us the viewers. But what can you do? Burnett pulls the strings and got desparate enough to create a new band vs going with a established band in need of a singer.
    "How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his friend. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame... for one person. In the dark. Where no one will ever know or see." - Sebastion, Babylon 5

FORT Fan
    If I were one of the singers I think I'd be pretty confused at this point. Do I listen to Gilby who just says that they are a "rock" band or do I listen to Tommy Lee who keeps saying things like "crush it" and that he wants the contestants almost falling off the stage with their movements. That sounds a lot closer to metal to me. So, which is it? Thanks

FORT Fan
    Thanks TK, no problem.

I'll be honest. I think these judges are crap. I think they are looking for a over the top showboat and trying to make sense of thier boots will drive us all crazy.
    I do too. I think from now on I should mute out their feedback after a performance. I lost all hope after the Toby performance of Runaway Train. I had no feelings for Toby either way, I wasn't a Toby fanatic, he must win or else type of person, but the judges comments proved to me they don't know what they're talking about. I still believe he did a great job. Yet they rail on him basically, simply because it wasn't a rocking song. That's crap. Music is about the emotion and feeling of the song, not simply "crushing" every song which is what Supernova seems to want. The other thing that I think shows Supernova is weak when it comes to judging is how they are asking the contestants to completely change their personality. Things like saying someone should look like they should fall of the stage...well, if that's not the person's personality, then you're basically asking them to be a fake, and that'll shine through. I also think they are way too biased as to whether they like the original band that wrote/performed the song.

That makes for pretty poor judging.

I would love for them to sing "Lightening Crashes" by Live

Every week they ask someone to "rock it" (even though I think they're conflicted on what type of band they are) so my recommendations are:

Incubus - Megalomanic
    Audioslave - Cochise, Show Me How to Live, Howling at the Moon
    Puddle of Mudd - Blurry (done acoustic), Control
    Three Days Grace - I Hate Everything About You
    Seether - Remedy

Looking for a way out Bubba-Jo-Lyn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paulvons View Post
    If I were one of the singers I think I'd be pretty confused at this point. Do I listen to Gilby who just says that they are a "rock" band or do I listen to Tommy Lee who keeps saying things like "crush it" and that he wants the contestants almost falling off the stage with their movements. That sounds a lot closer to metal to me. So, which is it? Thanks

I totally agree with you. That's why they need to have better song choices. The Rockers need songs that rock not REM or Coldplay. I'm not saying those are bad bands but they don't rock and they don't seem to be what SN wants either. If they want a singer who's gonna kick it then let them sing songs that kick it.
    Remember: Mentioning Jesus in your speech: small government. Doing what Jesus asked: big government - Stephen Colbert

Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut the b*tch up with cookies. (Unknown)

+ Reply to Thread